• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roughkeepsie

Jaydee

I dunno, it's on the label twice. This guy needs help. He's calling it extremely rare due to fact that he did an internet search for "Roughkeepsie" and found nothing. :lol:
Didn't we learn that Rs have two legs and Ps have one in the first grade?

zoomer

And much later we learned that Canadians are that much further away from the Center of the Universe than New Yorkers.

zoomer

I like your thinking!

Wonder if there are any records, in Washington or elsewhere, of interlocking ownerships among the Beacon/Newburgh/Poughkeepsie area leathermakers. In such a family/ethnic oriented trade, there had to have been.

(For instace, Aero of Beacon was supposedly a spinoff of Werber Coat - which upped stakes to Newburgh and became Werber Sportswear after a questionable plant fire. All nobody's business of course. Altho tanning chemistry will catch fire like nobody's business. :cool: )

Can anyone comment on the fit of a size 42 Poughkeepsie as opposed to, say, a 42 Aero or 42 Roughwear--i.e: broad shoulders? tight arm holes, short torso? etc. Are Poughkeepsies typically one the more generously cut A-2's like a 27753?

Thanks.

stubbyeighth

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
stubbyeighth said:
Can anyone comment on the fit of a size 42 Poughkeepsie as opposed to, say, a 42 Aero or 42 Roughwear--i.e: broad shoulders? tight arm holes, short torso? etc. Are Poughkeepsies typically one the more generously cut A-2's like a 27753?

The Acme Depot describes them as a fairly generic A-2 design, with no real distinguishing features.

So, I guess that the fit would be .... average. :)

The Acme Depot describes them as a fairly generic A-2 design, with no real distinguishing features.

So, I guess that the fit would be .... average.

Thanks, Deeb. I initially went to ACME Depot myself and left similarly unenlightened in terms of fit. But I believe forum member Roughwear recently parted with a 42 or 44 Poughkeepsie. Perhaps he might offer more insight? And if I recall correctly, on this forum or a previous incarnation of it, someone claimed that Poughkeepsie, because of bloodlines/relations/inbreeding, was essentially an Aero?

stubbyeighth

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
stubbyeighth said:
But I believe forum member Roughwear recently parted with a 42 or 44 Poughkeepsie. Perhaps he might offer more insight? And if I recall correctly, on this forum or a previous incarnation of it, someone claimed that Poughkeepsie, because of bloodlines/relations/inbreeding, was essentially an Aero?

Yes, Andrew posted on my "Related A-2 makers" thread here ....

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=146

Maybe he can tell you more .......

Cliff

Whilst on this subject of Poughkeepsie 's . How is the word actually pronounced?

Is it Ruffkeepsie? Powkeepsie? Puffkeepsie? Pokeepsie ? :?

always wanted to know !

rgds

Cliff

hacker

I have an original size 42 Pouky. In fact it's the only A-2 I own. I am certainly no A-2 expert but I've had at least 20 originals and settled on mine primarily on fit and leather. My biggest complaint is it 's a tad short in body length compared to other makers but they have the thinnest leather I have come across on A-2's. For me I'm not a fan of thick leather for flight jackets, and the A-2 is restrictive enough! Frankly as much as I like the style of them, the M422/G-1 is just so much more comfortable that I wear them way more often. My2cents.

Hacker

kevlarg

Cliff said:
Whilst on this subject of Poughkeepsie 's . How is the word actually pronounced?

Is it Ruffkeepsie? Powkeepsie? Puffkeepsie? Pokeepsie ? :?

always wanted to know !

rgds

Cliff

Po-kip-see is the NY pronunciation of it.

Cliff

Thanks Kev, Yes I forgot there may be "regional differences" (as we say in the UK) in the way it's pronounced !

My biggest complaint is it 's a tad short in body length compared to other makers but they have the thinnest leather I have come across on A-2's.

Thanks, Hack. That helps. But looks like the seller pulled his Pookie. :shock:

stubbyeighth

zoomer

Might be the slackening market - might definitely be eBay's new policy of taking a percentage of winning bid price. But I've noticed several high profile items in the leather category being withdrawn as "no longer available." Obviously people are offering to buy offsite and sellers are taking them up on it.

Percentage of winning bid may prove to be a poor business decision on eBay's part. They can't really stop offsite sales. And they stand to lose a lot of potential big-ticket bidders, and thus fees, if pulling auctions before closing really starts to catch on.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
zoomer said:
- might definitely be eBay's new policy of taking a percentage of winning bid price.

I know it increased last month, but haven't they always done that?

That's the FVF (final Value Fee).