• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rough Wear 18091 with patches

Stony

Just acquired this Rough Wear 18091 in a size 46 this past weekend. It has a leather American flag on the right arm and a leather XV Air Force shield on the left arm. This contract is made of goat and the leather is outstanding in every way. Knits are original as is the triple marked Talon which slides really easy. Lining is seperating some at the neck and some in the right armpit and there is a one inch tear in the lining by the AN stamp. The knits are original and the cuffs have some seperation and holes, but the waist is in really good shape with just a few small holes. You can also see on the left chest where a name plate once existed. I'm guessing from the size and because this is a Med jacket, that it was probably a nice embossed wing.

I'll have to say that out of all the original A-2s I've owned over the years, I'll have to rate this one in the top three because of the leather as it is so soft and supple. The bad news is it's too big for me, but I couldn't pass it up.

e2xq.jpg

8qwf.jpg

mtko.jpg

ta15.jpg

eauv.jpg

xj3z.jpg

icjx.jpg

8shn.jpg

fzb4.jpg

jsph.jpg

qn5i.jpg

xysq.jpg

greyhound52

Stony,
Wow this jacket gets around. Bought it from a former forum member too big to for me and sold to another former forum member. Now you have it. Wow.

Smithy

That is an absolute stunner! You'll make a lot of people round here very, very jealous ;)

Stony

Wow this jacket gets around. Bought it from a former forum member too big to for me and sold to another former forum member. Now you have it. Wow.

Since both former owners are now "former forum members", I hope it's not a trend as far as I'm concerned, lol.

This came out of a pile of jackets, mostly A-2s and a few Navy jackets, that came from a collection in the NW. There were about 10-12 A-2s and 5-6 Navy jackets. I got into the pile yesterday and this was the winner IMO. All were large sizes for the most part.

Roughwear

Very nice indeed Stony. Jeff Thurston and later JC owned this very same 18091 when it had a 27752 label in it. I notice it now has a repro GW label. It is never the less a magnificent example of this contract.

Andrew

Roughwear said:
Very nice indeed Stony. Jeff Thurston and later JC owned this very same 18091 when it had a 27752 label in it. I notice it now has a repro GW label. It is never the less a magnificent example of this contract.

Very clever sleuthing Andrew. I presume JC removed the old dodgy 27752 label (see the outline of the original label) and replaced it with the current one?

saucerfiend

Nice find. Looks to be in great shape. JC's label is as good as an original, so, don't worry about that. Wear it and enjoy!

Brian

Stony

Jeff Thurston and later JC owned this very same 18091 when it had a 27752 label in it. I notice it now has a repro GW label. It is never the less a magnificent example of this contract.

So is this a 27752 or a 18091 contract? If a 27752, why did J.C. replace the label? If a 18091 contract, who put a 27752 label in it?

I'll have to call him and see what the story is/was.

greyhound52

Stony it is the 18091 contract as JC and I talked about this. It is goatskin which was exclusive to that contract. Plus it has a pre war talon zip on it.

Stony

Stony it is the 18091 contract as JC and I talked about this. It is goatskin which was exclusive to that contract. Plus it has a pre war talon zip on it.

Thanks for the confirmation. I pretty much knew it was a 18091, but J.C. didn't answer that question in his PM.

Since it is too big for me, I'll be using it for trade material or be putting it up for sale. I've dropped over 20 lbs. lately, so a wartime size 40-42 A-2 is my fit now. I guess I'll have to get rid of my Cagleco size 44 too.

ausreenactor

Andrew said:
Roughwear said:

Very clever sleuthing Andrew. I presume JC removed the old dodgy 27752 label (see the outline of the original label) and replaced it with the current one?

It is good a lot of the high end A-2s with provenance have a history here. Otherwise 'improved' A-2s could be moving for inflated prices down the line.

Couchy