• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rough Wear 1401P Questions

Jaydee

I recently purchased a RW 42-1401P A-2. I wanted to know the date of MFG for this one. Also, I was wondering what the depot reissue process was. How and why did they re-dye or tan the jackets, and Does the process cause any long term damage to the hide? I don't have the jacket yet, but in the photos it almost appears to be Goatskin. Is this possible or were they all made from Horse? Any other random info about this contract is also appreciated!
Thanks,
-Jay

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Jaydee said:
I recently purchased a RW 42-1401P A-2. I wanted to know the date of MFG for this one .....

Jaydee, the 42-1401 P is from 1942.

The reissue process was simply refurbishing the jackets, it included a spray dye to seal brown, and a shoulder decal. No a re-dye won't harm the leather .... just like a respray on a car.

I had a look at the pictures ..... she looks very horsey. :)

Swing

deeb7 said:
Jaydee said:
I recently purchased a RW 42-1401P A-2. I wanted to know the date of MFG for this one .....

Jaydee, the 42-1401 P is from 1942.

Production would have been winding down by then. Most 1401s would have been made in late '41.

~Swing