• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Review of Bill Kelso Arco (Aero) 18775 Victory Horse A2

Persimmon

I have currently a sample of the new Bill Kelso Arco (Aero) 18775 A2 in their new horsehide "Victory Horse" sent to me by Platon to review.

It is labelled as a size 38 but for me fits to a true size 40.

There has been some comments that the Kelso jackets are not always perfect to size accurately. Perhaps it is the lack of large numbers produced so far by them that Aero/Eastman/Goodwear have manufactured in comparision that customers can trust their sizing policy more.

Bottom line as always is to give measurements to the company if they accept them.

Everything is in proportion on this jacket except the arms which are a shade too long for me.
I am told it was copied exactly from an original and the arms were that size.
As we all know no two originals in a contract are ever rarely perfect copies and the war time machinest's I guess had good and bad days for accuracy.
Maybe I just have short arms - Mr T Rex !! However even on my young son its the same effect.

He is the model for the pictures. It was easier to get the pictures I wanted with him as the model but I have cropped his head off.
Its bad enough that some gentleman over on the Hat Place (Majormajor) because I critized the cult that is Aero over there, actually posts pictures of me wearing a A2 to let the folks see my face. Can't have my son facing the same sad treatment.
Poor chap is probable printing Dead or Alive wanted posters of me as we speak !!!

At the moment it looks like a case of sleeve tunnelling in the pictures but when the natural creasing effect takes place I am sure it will be a job perfectly done although Platon tells me they will size the jacket to your measurements.

(for anyone wanting to see this effect Peter (BetterDuck's) Eastman Werber before and after pictures in his posts show the natural rise of the jacket sleeve length with wear).

The 18775 P Arco is made with Bill Kelso's new italian leather - Victory Horse and it is outstanding.
The jacket has not been worn outside (other than for picture taking) so remains in factory boxed delivery conditions.

I would love to wear this jacket to hell and do the review in 6 months time !!!
However Platon tells me he needs it back to show folks / publicity etc. Damm

Wear and tear will certainly add to the character of the Victory Horse leather but if you look at some of the pictures you can see there is already grain aplenty.
This to me looks like it will age fantastically well.

The colour is that iconic dark seal although I was initially surprised at the jacket weight.
Quite heavy was my first thoughts although I have no scales to be to 100% accurate.
All I can say is thats its heavier than my last purchase from Goodwear - a Monarch A2 .
This is no flimsy A2 jacket.

Speaking of colour, their seems to be tones of red underneath the dark seal and will again with wear increase that historic Aero look.
In certain light it can appear as more black than brown seal but that is often a problem when you take pictures -with/without flash, with/without sunlight etc

It does seem to be hard to get the red knits correctly shown in the pictures accurate to the colour in real life.
By the by, the knits are the same ones going on Goodwear jackets so are excellent quality.
The knit colour is a true rust, not the bright red colour perhaps shown and compliments the dark seal leather wonderfully well.
Its got the true historic Aero look about it.

Speaking of that wartime historic Aero look, the 42-18775 contract was the final A2 jacket produced during WW2.
As in most contacts there seems to be a wide variance of design although a strong majority of the jackets from this contract continue with features of earlier Aero A2's such as the square pockets, the mustard lining, and with either brown or green thread.
However brown knits seem to be more of a standard on this contract.
Equally the darker horsehide and red knits combination so prevalent in earlier contracts were less common on this contract.

Personally I prefer the Dark Seal/Rust Knits combination so I was pleased to see Bill Kelso offering this look. Kelso can tell you if you can have the thread colour options

A few unusual facts on the 18775 P contract that are on this Kelso Arco jacket which are different from the standards set by Aero jackets of the earlier contracts, is that jackets were made with rounded corners in the collar points, and rounded pocket body corners.
Something I like.

The zip is a repro Talon and works well. I believe its possible to have a NOS fitted (your own or sourced) but again speak to the Kelso team.

Currently this jacket is priced at Euro 740 and again I believe Kelso are considering offering the same contract cheaper in a non Victory Horse option.
If the jacket model is for you - dont go that way.
Save your pennies and go for the best option.

Would I buy one ? Yes
Do I want one ? Yes
Has Kelso raised their bar ? Yes
Is Victory Horse superb ? Yes

Pictures to follow over several posts.

Persimmon

Pictures part 1

BKArco003_zps2f06b14e.jpg

BKArco025_zpsfc682888.jpg

BKArco005_zps23e7b255.jpg

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af307/alandaly/Bill%20Kelso%20Aero%20A2
/BKArco015_zpsfedbdafe.jpg

BKArco014_zpsbef5b3dc.jpg

BKArco011_zps1b6b63a8.jpg

BKArco007_zpse83c1a50.jpg

BKArco009_zpsb377bc35.jpg

More pictures to follow

ausreenactor

Pretty impressive. With a bit of wear and tear it will look sensational (eventually when someone lands it for good).

How does the hide smell? I hope 'it smells like..........Victory!' (COL Kilgour - Had to do it...)
I am glad you posted considerable pictures... Some want 'Alot-a-pics Now'..

Thanks again.. I have been waiting for some pics on the website..

Couchy

Persimmon

ausreenactor said:
Pretty impressive. With a bit of wear and tear it will look sensational (eventually when someone lands it for good).

How does the hide smell? I hope 'it smells like..........Victory!' (COL Kilgour - Had to do it...)
I am glad you posted considerable pictures... Some want 'Alot-a-pics Now'..

Thanks again.. I have been waiting for some pics on the website..

Couchy

Couchy

The smell was one of the first things I noticed.
It had that new jacket smell (just like a new car) that just makes you want to try it on.

Then to beat the hell out of it

This is a jacket that cries out to be worn.

There are more pictures still in the folder that could be added but I thought I was in danger of getting grief (friendly) if I added more !!

Actually looking at the posts one image seems not to have come out so will try that one again

BKArco015_zpsfedbdafe.jpg

johnwayne

Wow thats a nice jacket and love the colour - I don't own a seal brown A2 and always like the berry knits - I could be in for one of those but the hide does look a little on the heavy thick side?
My house ELC (about 15yrs old and cow/steer I'm pretty sure) and feels so much weightier than say my GW Doniger in goat which feels so much better in many ways, even though I love my old, first ELC!
Not had chance to check BK site but is it up there?

cheers
Wayne

MikeyB-17

Looks fantastic-I wouldn't have said the sleeves were too bad at all-personally I prefer them like that rather than too short. I really like the look of BK's jackets, if I ever come to be looking for another A-2 I think they'll be top of the list.

stanier

I think that looks the business, though dark seal and berry knits pushes all the right buttons with me.

It seems up there with the best to my eye. Is BK the way to get GW accuracy on an A-2 without the agonising wait?

Persimmon

stanier said:
I think that looks the business, though dark seal and berry knits pushes all the right buttons with me.

It seems up there with the best to my eye. Is BK the way to get GW accuracy on an A-2 without the agonising wait?

Interesting point.
BK have certainly raised their game considerably on this.

Platon has informed me further to my posts that they can adjust the length of the body or sleeves, and even the entire jacket to the customers measurements so you should get that accurate Goodwear measured fit (provided we give the right doimensions of course !!)

Not something I believe that Eastman offer as it basically only a short or long version option (an inch or so added /shortened to length and sleeves)

I have been told also that for this jacket NOS Talons are available.
The standard version of the jacket comes with the repro zip, but if anyone wants NOS they pay just the price difference so they should be some saving if one ones greater accuracy.

regius

Spearhead Monarch
Bill Kelso early edition RW 27752 russet
Bill Kelso early edition RW 27752 seal
Bill Kelso current production Dubow
GW RW 1401
GW Werber
GW Dubow 20960
Cockpit seal HH A2
Cockpit russet flying tiger goatskin with patches and bloodchit on lining
Cockpit Limited Edition vintage goat "Private Purchase" A2 with button pocket flaps (this one is a rarity)
Cockpit Oil Driller vintage goatskin jacket (like a long halfbelt type)
Vanson 90s CHP jacket, Terminator lapels
Real McCoy steerhide russet A2
Buzz Rickson Bronco Wax United Sheeplined
Aero custom FQHH/Alpaca wool A2 early contract
Aero Anniversary (for sale)
GnB M422A
Aero black Italian HH Hwayman
Aero Brown FQHH Hwayman
Aero Brown FQHH 50s HB
Aero Brown 30s HB
Aero Brown long HB
LW Dubow
Eastman RW 27752
Robert Hall 70s motorcycle jacket red satin quilted lining
Wested goatskin Indy
Willis Geiger HH A2
Orchard 80s goatsking A2
Aero smooth HH A2
Schott 141
Legendary USA black horse
Harley Davidson USA Number 1
Eastman Hartmann
Bill Kelso Great Escape (on the way)

It's time to shrink down the collection!!

Skip

I just put my order in for one this week, a 2 month delay for mine at the moment, still waiting on hides from the tannery. Seeing your pics is making me count down the days, good to see it in natural light as well as the studio shots from the BK website. That hide is mouth watering isn't it?

Thanks Alan for the review, lookin' good.

jollygreenslugg

Beautiful jacket.

Now to convince the Minister of War and Finance that I need another one!

"But I don't have one in russet, my love! You can buy more shoes if you like!"

Cheers,
Matt

les_garten

I've got an Aero by Aero, Real Deal in Seal w/Rust knits that is an absolute twin to that one.

Amazing! Nice Jacket

marco77

jollygreenslugg said:
Beautiful jacket.

Now to convince the Minister of War and Finance that I need another one!

"But I don't have one in russet, my love! You can buy more shoes if you like!"

Cheers,
Matt

Make a deal with a pair of Louboutin !!!!!!! Pin up and flight jacket :D :D

Nickb123

This jacket tempts me big time. I think it will be my next. I've always had a crush on the rust knits...
Those knits are almost ironic in a way...you'd think that such a color contrast between the knits and leather wouldn't sit well with the AAF...but they let it go, and it looks great. The different color knits are one of the coolest aspect of these jackets imo.