• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Retoration of WWII jacket

daddyoh56

I'm looking for someone to restore my dad's WWII bomber jacket. It's in really rough shape, dried out, cracked, deteriorating sleeves. It would need a lot of work to even get it to a point where the tears could be sewn, it is so dried out. I don't want to restore it to wearable shape, just get it presentable to frame and display. Has my dad's 10AF badge on one shoulder, China/Burma/India badge on the other, plus his 427th Night Fighter Squadron patch on the front. I've found someone interested in working on it, but my friends in the Flying Tigers forum http://www.forums.flyingtigersavg.com suggested I try you guys here before I commit. Here are some photos:

fb0c28cd.jpg

c05a0581.jpg

91f0f0db.jpg

TankBuster

It's great that you have your dads jacket and that you are looking to preserve and present it. I would contact Aero Leather Clothing Company of Scotland or Bill Kelso for the repair work. I'm not exactly sure what can be done with the blown out areas? As far as presenting it, have you thought of a torso to display the jacket on versus framing it? I think it would be alot better for the jacket to distribute the weight more evenly without putting any pressure points on the jacket. The creases created by keeping it flat in a frame may damage the jacket over time. These old jackets also need to breathe. By that I mean airflow is important. The tight quarters of a frame wouldn't allow for that. Just some thoughts. Good luck with the project. It's good to see a jacket in the hands of a family member that appreciates it! ;)

Jaguar46

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=12624&hilit=reproduce+any+jacket

Kelso has stated they can do anything.

PLATON said:
Have a jacket that you want duplicated?
Have a jacket that is unique and valuable that you want to keep in the closet and wear its replica?
Have a jacket that is worn and damaged and you want a brand new of the same, only they don't make it any more?

Talk to the experts. Bill Kelso can make a clone of your jacket. With all the details and nuances that you will specify.

Why not send us an email to [email protected] and discuss?

Thanks,
A. Falzon obo Bill Kelso Mfg.

MikeyB-17

Judging by the job they did on George's Werber, I'd say Bill Kelso. Aero would do it but it would take aeons. Don't like to keep banging on about it, but after my last experience I won't use them for repairs again. Decent enough job, but it took months. OK, they're busy, but at the end of the day you want your jacket fixed within a reasonable timeframe. I know I'm not alone on this.

Dr H

I've posted several times before concerning Aero's work on my ELC A-1, but it bears repetition: the work took much longer than discussed and the jacket was ruined (one sleeve much shorter than the other). Go elsewhere for the work if you value the jacket is my advice.

Dr H

It's not much more than I've posted here Steve. I wanted to shorten the sleeves of my last ELC A-1 44 (by 1/2" or so). I weighed up whether to send to ELC or Aero. The quoted delivery time was a little shorter and the price a little lower at Aero.
I'd had repair work done before there but this time it went badly wrong despite explicit written instructions with the jacket and e-mails.
Delivery was very, very slow (I can't recall precisely how long, but around 2 months is likely following repeated e-mails.
When the A-1 did return, the stitching was poor and incorrect (A-2 stitch count rather than A-1) and too far from the cuff edge (again like an A-2).
The clincher though was one sleeve around 1/2-3/4" shorter than the other. Unfortunately, the shortest sleeve was now too short so further work was impossible.
After an e-mail and two telephone conversations, Will offered a sum to buy the jacket, but taking into account the money spent on customs/shipping, etc. I ended up losing quite a chunk of money. The option of keeping and selling it privately was a non starter...
Thankfully, I picked up a replacement from John (CBI) which is now my daily/beater, I will not be sending any other jackets there for work.

dmar836

Hi. First off welcome to the forum.
Let me give another view. I would tread very lightly with this repair. While the suggestions are good they may be far from what you say you want. I would assume, based on past discussions here, that the suggested companies would replace the damaged panels and torn cuffs rather than stabilize them for display only. Preserving what is there is an entirely different bag of tricks than sewing new leather and replacing cuffs. The wear and tear showing on the jacket adds a lot and shows what it's been through. The existing damage is not a game changer for what you wish to do IMO.
I may be alone but I would not replace the knits, lining, nor any of the torn leather panels. Approximating the edges and lightly stitching the knits back into shape would not only preserve 100% of the jacket but would be very appropriate for what you want to do. Many guys here wear vintage jackets so replacement parts are appropriate for a missing panel of when there is just no other way. Not so (IMO) for preserving history unless you want to end up displaying only 50% of the jacket your father wore(an entirely unnecessary compromise for display). Add to this that it is doubtful that your fathers jacket could ever be brought back to wearable condition as the next weakest link will pop up and soon you are left only with a very small part of original jacket. IMO, any form of this compromise would be a shame.
It is risky working on these items no matter what but l would suggest that whoever you chose to do the work would have the goal of "stabilizing" the jacket for display and not cut out and replace whole panels or parts.
JMO,
Dave

Roughwear

I had assumed this jacket would be for display. Spiewaks in this condition really can't be brought back to a wearable condition unless they are almost entirely rebuilt. Then of course they are no longer original jackets. BK could reinforce and repair the goatskin from inside so it displays well.

daddyoh56

Dave,

You are absolutely on the money. I've been in contact with a lady in Illinois by the name of Dena Hamilton, contacted her through http://www.greatleather.com/. She is talking about nursing it back and stitching (I assume) the tears together, tying down the loose patch parts and generally cleaning it back up to a presentable condition. She would replace the cuffs though. She thinks she can match it closely. Her website has some impressive repair examples.

I've also contacted Bill Kelso.

Once I choose and get it done, I'll post before and after pics on this forum.

unclegrumpy

dmar836 said:
Hi. First off welcome to the forum.
Let me give another view. I would tread very lightly with this repair. While the suggestions are good they may be far from what you say you want. I would assume, based on past discussions here, that the suggested companies would replace the damaged panels and torn cuffs rather than stabilize them for display only. Preserving what is there is an entirely different bag of tricks than sewing new leather and replacing cuffs. The wear and tear showing on the jacket adds a lot and shows what it's been through. The existing damage is not a game changer for what you wish to do IMO.
I may be alone but I would not replace the knits, lining, nor any of the torn leather panels. Approximating the edges and lightly stitching the knits back into shape would not only preserve 100% of the jacket but would be very appropriate for what you want to do. Many guys here wear vintage jackets so replacement parts are appropriate for a missing panel of when there is just no other way. Not so (IMO) for preserving history unless you want to end up displaying only 50% of the jacket your father wore(an entirely unnecessary compromise for display). Add to this that it is doubtful that your fathers jacket could ever be brought back to wearable condition as the next weakest link will pop up and soon you are left only with a very small part of original jacket. IMO, any form of this compromise would be a shame.
It is risky working on these items no matter what but l would suggest that whoever you chose to do the work would have the goal of "stabilizing" the jacket for display and not cut out and replace whole panels or parts.
JMO,
Dave

I agree with Dave, except I would take it one step farther and forcefully say just leave it alone! No matter what this repair lady says, the "restoration" you are proposing will just F this jacket up, and leave you with much less than what you have. This is a historic jacket with great patch, but it is on a jacket from a maker that often used leather that did not hold up well.

Don't waste your money on this project, you will be sorry. Better to spend your money on a nice copy that fits you....a Goodwear, Eastman, or Kelso, and have one of the guys make you a nice copy of your father's patch and name tag. IMO, anything you do to this jacket will just make it worse.

Estancia

I like the suggestion of perhaps patching the damaged leather from underneath but please DO NOT start replacing knits, the zipper (even if it doesn't work) and other original vintage hardware.

You could have a lovely perspex box frame made for this jacket, mounted so you could see either side as you please.

If I were you I would spend money on decent framing not repairs.

The condition adds character IMO, its not going to be worn again so leave it how it was when your dad had it.

just my two pence!

Phantomfixer

Personally? this is a piece of history, regardless of when the damaged occurred. Altering it destroys the story. Once new thread and cuffs are added it is no longer original. I would display it as is, and keep good care of it; buy a good repop as stated for daily wear if so desired. Heck alot of vets love the Coopers with their patches etc on them. They are not so picky about collar points and pocket spacing..ok off topic

Keep it original display with pride

Jeff M

Another vote for put the money into a nice display frame.
Unless you replace a LOT of this jacket with new leather/knits/zipper, it is unlikely you will be able to wear it without it falling apart even more.
If you DO replace much of jacket, it won't be what it now is....a piece of history.

Peter Graham

I totally agree with the above comments. Leave it alone and have a historic piece of family history to be proud of.

dmar836

Just so we stay on point and to clarify(as the thread grows), the OP doesn't wish to have a "wearer". I started talking about that option more to inform him about the possible objectives of those doing the work.

My wife was trying to market me as the type to do such work at the recent air show. Two or three asked about a tatty jacket they have. I kept my mouth shut and no one has called. That's not a bad thing. Doing such work is more of a time issue since repair materials are minimal and time is the most expensive part of it. There is a good reason the major jacket makers don't advertise repair services for original jackets. It is also risky as you are quite possibly going to end up with rags to start with and an unreasonable expectation from the owner.

Most guys here know that the jacket might look a bit better but will not look, suddenly, "restored".

All great tips,
Dave