• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoring Your Leather Jacket to its Former Glory: A Step-by-Step Guide to Leather Restoration

rob20uk

Restoring Your Leather Jacket to its Former Glory: A Step-by-Step Guide

Hey fellow leather jacket enthusiasts! ✨

Today, I'm excited to share with you the journey of restoring this awesome leather jacket. Over the years, it had lost some of its luster and developed a few unsightly blemishes. But with a bit of patience and the right products, I was able to breathe new life into it. I'll walk you through the process and provide before and after pictures to show you the amazing transformation!

Before we begin, here's what you'll need:
- Fairy liquid (for cleaning)
- Saphir leather dye (three 50ml bottles)
- Saphir black leather cream
- Saphir Black leather polish
- Water
- Horsehair brush
- Picard's leather cream (for ongoing care)

Step 1: Clean the Leather
Start by cleaning your jacket with a fairy liquid. This will help remove dirt, grime, and any previous product residue. Gently rub it in and wipe away with a clean, damp cloth. Allow it to dry completely.

Step 2: Apply Saphir Leather Dye
Now, it's time to revive the color of your jacket. Apply two coats of Saphir leather dye, making sure to evenly cover the entire surface. In my case, it took three 50ml bottles to achieve the desired result. Allow each coat to dry completely before moving on to the next.

Before and After - The transformation begins with the application of Saphir leather dye.

Before
IMG_8855.jpg

After
IMG_8856.jpg

Step 3: Apply Saphir Black Leather Cream
Once the dye has dried, apply a thin coat of Saphir Black leather cream. This will help to nourish the leather and provide a soft, supple feel. Make sure to work it in evenly, paying special attention to any areas that need extra care.

Step 4: Apply Saphir Black Leather Polish
To achieve a glossy finish, apply a coat of Saphir Black leather polish. This will give your jacket that classic shine. Allow it to dry for a short while before proceeding to the next step.

Step 5: Sprinkle and Buff
Sprinkle a little water on your jacket's surface and use a horsehair brush to give it a good buff. This step not only removes any sticky residue but also gives your leather a sleek and polished look.

Before and After - Your jacket is now starting to look refreshed and rejuvenated.

Before
IMG_8731.jpg

IMG_8732.jpg

After
NOTE: The below picture also had a light coating of Pecard's. I found this really helped to smooth the leather and remove any excess stickiness.
IMG_8914.jpg

IMG_8922.jpg

IMG_8919.JPG

IMG_8915.JPG

Step 6: Ongoing Care with Pecards's Leather Cream
To ensure your leather jacket continues to look its best, it's essential to provide ongoing care. Lightly apply Pecards's leather cream, especially to areas like the back and shoulders where cracking may have occurred. This will help nourish and maintain the leather's health over time.

Before and After - The back of the jacket receives some extra TLC with Pecards's leather cream.

Before
IMG_8911.jpg

After
IMG_8923.jpg

And there you have it, folks! By following these simple steps and using high-quality products like Saphir leather dye, Saphir Black leather cream, and Pecards's leather cream, you can bring your leather jacket back to life. Just look at the incredible transformation!

Remember that leather care is an ongoing process. Keep your jacket clean, moisturised to ensure it stays in top-notch condition for years to come.

If you have any questions or want to share your own leather restoration journey, feel free to comment below. Happy leather jacket restoration, and may your jackets continue to turn heads on the streets of the UK!

Last edited:

CombatWombat

Mate.....that last picture looks like you've got serious cracking and deterioration between your shoulders :eek:
I've got a Aero from the early 90s and it is only just getting surface/topcoat cracks

rob20uk

Mate.....that last picture looks like you've got serious cracking and deterioration between your shoulders :eek:
I've got a Aero from the early 90s and it is only just getting surface/topcoat cracks
Oh the jacket was in horrible shape when I got it. I actually got it cheep on eBay with the sole idea of doing this test.

I am just going to keep it as a bit of a beater jacket as the cracking on the back is not much of an issue when using it.

This week I order a HH cafe racer so that will be my main one

dbtk44

at the risk of being branded a pedant, do you mean "fairy liquid?"
If he's from dear old Blighty, I bet that's what he meant...but of course, I would never presume to speak for him!

For those of us across the pond, apparently the close equivalent of Fairy liquid would be Dawn dish detergent.

dbtk44

Beautiful jacket! Very nice work you've done, and the tutorial you've put together is excellent...Thank You for taking the time to do it!