• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Researching Poughkeepsie Leather Coat Co

bjoy

Poughkeepsie Leather Coat Co appears to have first advertised for workers in January, 1942, though the first published mention of the company name was February, 1942, in a news report about a small fire at the plant 45-47 Jefferson Street.

Perhaps their first hiring for a military contract was in May, 1942, for "experienced operators to work on army pilots' jackets".

In August, 1942, "J.B. Patten of the Poughkeepsie Leather Coat Co" contributed a leather coat to be given to the highest bidder at a war bond sale held on a Wednesday night radio program. A 1945 newspaper article mentions that John B. Patten was president of the company, Edward M. Landis secretary-treasurer, and that the company has over 200 employees. (The occasion mentions the planned move from 331 Mill Street to 86 Carroll Street.)

John Patten also owned an appliance and housewares business (from roughly 1940 to 1947), was an active member of the Rotary Club, did weekly radio programs from his store, and seems to have a relationship with the Poughkeepsie Business Institute (which taught shorthand, typing, and other business skills).

(See http://www.footnote.com/image/#231791771 for a picture of him during his "Patten's Home Institute" radio show in 1941.)

In March, 1945, Lt. McGibbeny of the Philadelphia Army Quartermaster depot was given the duty to expedite production at four garment plants in Poughkeepsie which were not meeting quotas due to a lack of manpower. He said Poughkeepsie Leather Coat Co could double its weekly production of 500 M-1943 field jackets if idle machines were manned. He was quoted "The soldier on the attack discards anything and everything not directly needed to defeat the enemy or to protect himself. Furthermore, it is inconceivable to those who have not experienced it how quickly clothing may be worn to shreds when the soldier is creeping and crawling over rough ground."

In September, 1947, Poughkeepsie Leather Coat Co was shutdown after failing to pay workers for over two weeks in the amount of $12,657.24. John B. Patten was still president, Edward M. Landis controller, and Edward A. Miller attorney. Since they had been working on a war contract for 53,000 Army trousers, the company was ultimately allowed to continue work on the contract under different management with new financing.

On January 29, 1948, Patten plead guilty, was fined $100, and given 6 months probation for failure to pay wages. Charges against Albert L. Millard, 37, secretary, and Edward M. Landis, 42, "accountant and business engineer", were withdrawn.

In August, 1948, the IRS sold the machinery and other equipment of Poughkeepsie Leather Coat Co which had been seized for non-payment of taxes in the amount of $56,485.60 including interest. The equipment included 129 sewing machines, 4 cloth cutters, and 203 electric light fixtures. The sale resulted in less than $20,000 being raised.

John Bigelow Patten (1898-1969) married Mary Ellen Viola Gladieux (1901-1986) in 1923, and they had children John Jr (1924) and Jean (1933). His parents were William Patten (1868-1936), a noted magazine editor and author, and Grace Bigelow (1865-1956), concert pianist.

bjoy

Some interesting things I came across:

In November, 1942, PLC was hiring men experienced in "making automobile tops of canvas bags".

In February, 1945, a man was in court accused of stealing "20 sheep-lined Army coats from the Poughkeepsie Leather Coat company". He also had a "German Mauser revolver". His source for the coats was employed at PLC as a chauffeur. He claimed he found these coats plus more hidden "in the rubbish shed" at the plant when tasked to take trash to the city incinerator. He sold the recovered coats at $5 apiece.

In December, 1945, PLC advertised the sale of 200 "Sno-Jeep" snowsuits for children for $18.95 made of "Navy jungle clothe" and lined with alpaca. They were made of "the same tried and tested material used on the battlefront".

bjoy

Roughwear said:
Thanks for this research. When I researched PLC I could not find anything new about their Wartime jackets-A2s, B-3 and AN-J4. Here is a thread about their adverts.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9020

In 1942, Aero Leather Clothing Co was owned by its partners Louis Kramer, John E. Liebman, and Abe Wolkowitz.

Louis Kramer could be the same guy who was vice president of Werber Leather Coat Co in 1938 and had his brother sued by Werber for altering an invoice. Louis Kramer was described at the time of the big 1934 fire in a way that could imply he was one of the owners of Werber Leather Coat Co.

(Incidentally, the "Mr. Lewis" to be phoned in the Poughkeepsie Leather Coat Co advertisements was probably Donald W. Lewis who was made a VP in 1945.)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
When I researched PLC I could not find anything new about their Wartime jackets-A2s, B-3 and AN-J4.

They made a B-6, Andrew ... did they even make a B-3?

Roughwear

deeb7 said:
Roughwear said:
When I researched PLC I could not find anything new about their Wartime jackets-A2s, B-3 and AN-J4.

They made a B-6, Andrew ... did they even make a B-3?

David, Yes, my mistake and I couldn't edit it! For some reason I typed B-3 instead of B-6. They did not make a B-3, unless they used a no-name label. :oops:

bjoy

bjoy said:
In 1942, Aero Leather Clothing Co was owned by its partners Louis Kramer, John E. Liebman, and Abe Wolkowitz.

There is a lot of information about this partnership out there thanks to the IRS!

It seems the original partnership was actually between Louis Kramer, John E. Liebman, Abe Wolkowitz, Emily Kramer, Samuel H. Liebmann, and Anna Wolkowitz. The partnership agreement was signed in April, 1941.

In May, 1941, they filed a certificate in New York that the "name under which the business was to be conducted was the Aero Leather Clothing Company".

They ultimately helped in creating multiple tax precedents in tax court relating to partnerships between family members.

http://books.google.com/books?id=20...ook_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAQ

bjoy

The following "POKLEACO" label appeared on a Poughkeepsie Leather Coat Co A-2 jacket which popped up on eBay. This is the first non-military label I have seen from that company.

5717223806_144fcfa8d2_m.jpg

(This name is similar to the use of "CAGLECO" for Cape Girardeau Leather Mfg. Co which ultimately became Ralph Edwards Sportswear.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW-2-US-AAF-POUGHKE ... 1c1bb74cfc