• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shanghai-Mayne

What unit was the Blood Chit issued to, Initial?
It was issued to Soviet airmen , who were sub donated to Soviet Volunteers Group (SVG). They were involved the war resistance Japanese Invasion from later 1937 to early 1941.

What make SVG special, need to issue Blood Chit?
Before SVG arrived, China nationalist party (or Kuoming Tang) government hired aviation experts from various countries , to help Nationalists China (or Republic or China ,ROC) build their own air force , in general those ‘expert’ would not involved in air combat against Imperial Japanese army pilots or Imperial Japanese Navy aviators. So they don’t need blood chit.
SVG, is another story. First, they came to China actually fight Japanese, and probably get shot down by Japanese. Second, they were deployed to China on behalf of Soviet government, their existence in China was classified information. So, China common folks have no idea , those foreigners were on their side, not on opposite side. As result, SVG personnel need certain paperwork printed in Chinese language, prove their identity.

Other foreigners aviation unit issued Blood Chit?
Chennault’s International Air Squadron, it existence lasted about half year, from 1937-1938. They fly bombing mission and work with Soviets before and after their unit disbanded.

What is meaning of those Chinese characters printed on Blood Chit?
Pic shown below, is a exhibit displayed at International Blood Chit Museum:

AE8A9CE8-16AE-41EF-BC9B-F9DA89CEB817.jpeg

Its content, including three parts, text, inscription and serial number.

The text, Included 12 Chinese Characters, 2 short sentence (6 characters each) make a complete sentence.
First part: The foreigner came to China for assist the war (Sino-Japanese War).
Second part: Military and civilian personnels work together to providing aid.

Inscription, including 5 Chinese characters, it means: The Commission for Aeronautical Affairs. And official seal of that commission (the red-ish pattern).

Serial number: No.0634.

It is today’s work , I will complete the thread in next few days.

ShanghaiJack

As for the Chinese Chits, several photos, and films, show that the 14th Volunteer
Bombardment Squadron that served in China wore them in 1937.

Earlier than 1937, humm... I can't say that the Jouett Mission American
Aviators/Instructors (1932-1935) had them issued, but it's not outside of
the realm of possibilities, I've just not seen photographic evidence of such,
as yet.

Last year, the Smithsonian listed Royal Leonard's film collection,
as shot in China, was approved for restoration and preservation.
For some of us lucky enough to have seen some of his footage,
it is mind-blowing for we historians. Some of which was shot
in color!

Shanghai-Mayne

As for the Chinese Chits, several photos, and films, show that the 14th Volunteer
Bombardment Squadron that served in China wore them in 1937.

Earlier than 1937, humm... I can't say that the Jouett Mission American
Aviators/Instructors (1932-1935) had them issued, but it's not outside of
the realm of possibilities, I've just not seen photographic evidence of such,
as yet.

Last year, the Smithsonian listed Royal Leonard's film collection,
as shot in China, was approved for restoration and preservation.
For some of us lucky enough to have seen some of his footage,
it is mind-blowing for we historians. Some of which was shot
in color!
Thank you, Jack. At Jouett period, if American aviator involved any combat, most likely against Chinese war lord, at the time called Fukien (Fujian) incident.

Flightengineer

My great-uncle was a fighter pilot at the end of WW2, he told that his instructor at the flight school was a member of the SVG in China and flew under the command of ace Rychagov (he told it private - cause Rychagov was repressed and shot in 1941).
Insructor told to my great-uncle that they flew a lot and most of all they were afraid if they were shot down and captured by the Japanese. The Japanese killed the pilots but before that they brutally tortured them.

Shanghai-Mayne

My great-uncle was a fighter pilot at the end of WW2, he told that his instructor at the flight school was a member of the SVG in China and flew under the command of ace Rychagov (he told it private - cause Rychagov was repressed and shot in 1941).
Insructor told to my great-uncle that they flew a lot and most of all they were afraid if they were shot down and captured by the Japanese. The Japanese killed the pilots but before that they brutally tortured them.
Your great-uncle's instructor must be an excellent pilot, Chinese folks highly respect SVG pilots.

At Chungking (chongqing)
7FD4FB8A-5523-4A45-90FF-F76B85BFE849.jpeg

ShanghaiJack

There was a Warlord that had his own Air Force in Guangdong,
he hired Americans, Brits, and Canadians as mercenaries.
I think the time frame was from 1930-1936. Then he consolidated
his forces in to the KMT after the Japanese thrust in 1937.
Not sure if those mercs were issued chits as well.

Shanghai-Mayne

If they did. Most likely, document in similar fashion, because that ‘Commission for Aeronautical Affaires’ only work for Chiang Kai-shek.

That Guangdong Airforce , probably mentioned in SpyMaster by Wakeman.(I Checked , it’s not there.)

Last edited:

Flightengineer

Finally, I found a SVG rescue patch example on net.
It was published on a Japanese booklet or magazine
View attachment 108483

Japanese language means: Items retrieved from China Air Force plane’s crash site at Nanking (Nanjing), what proved Soviet Union pilot was on board.

Full image see below:
View attachment 108485

Thank you for your research and for posting it here.Very interesting.

Here couple of photos of SVG pilots, the first two were taken at the Wuhan airfield in November 1937

1578502326_004.jpg

1578502385_017.jpg

Photo with SB-2 bomber - Hankou airfield

1578502423_015.jpg