• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repro or Original?

B-Man2

Sitting home with way to much time on my hands and happened to read a recent thread, wherein a few people mentioned that they preferred owning and wearing a reproduction A2 jacket to an original. So I thought, why not take an impromptu poll to see what the general feeling is regarding that subject. So here’s the basic question for consideration;

If money wasn’t an issue, what would you prefer to own and wear, a top tier reproduction A2 jacket or an original A2 jacket.

Let’s restrict our consideration on this question to strictly A2 jackets, as other jackets such as fleece or shearling original jackets have a variety of issues and considerations that might make a reproduction jacket preferable to an original .
So as I said nothing fancy, no statistical analysis, just your thoughts on the subject.:)

Brettafett

I'll bite.

IF.... IF I could find an original that was long enough to fit me well. And IF, this original was pretty battered, but the shell was perfect... No stitch holes, cuts, tears etc... No ID, no recordable history etc...
Then I would kindly ask Andrew to renovate it for me - new liner, new cuffs, (wouldn't even mind a repro label, if the original was not present), put it all back together etc...
This would be my no.1 choice. However, in all reality, pretty unlikely and improbable I'd ever even find such a jacket, let alone Andrew's agreement to take on the project. ;)

Do not want a 'period-peice', i.e. a decent condition original. I've had one. I would not feel comfortable wearing something like that. I feel it would belong in a museum and preserved. Plus, I wouldn't want a jacket that would only get worn occasionally, I want to wear my jacket. I am totally fascinated by originals and their history, but I'm not interested in collecting them.

no.2 A well-fitting ELC, GW or BK would do the trick.

Flightengineer

Original.
If the jacket is in good condition and fit me perfectly. Originals keeps spirit of early aviation times and piece of history of guys who flew before us. And this is the main point.
All of my flight jackets are totally originals except for A2. And this is only because I have not yet found the original A2 for reasonable money that would fits me OK.
I hope one day it will happen.

Stony

I would prefer an original to wear under certain circumstances. If it was a plain jacket with no patches, artwork, etc., I would wear it.

As for repros, the fit is the most important thing. I would also have to try one on to make sure it fit to my liking, so I would probably have to buy one second hand.

Brent

Having just aquired an original and preparing for its complete renewal, I look forward to wearing it. Yes I got lucky as to the fit but it is much more than that. Just putting it on seems to be a completely different feeling. Maybe it is the history or just psychological but it is different. Like mentioned above, similarly most of my jackets are originals and they are the preferred ones to wear.

Regards,

Juanito

Original. I have had only one repro that even came close to the finish and feel of an original, and that was mainly due to the finish of the leather. It was a pigment finished GW United Sheep Lined jacket. I have had a number of others, but the semi-aniline finish that is so prevalent doesn't come close to the finish on an original warime jacket.

Given the parameters of the question, why wear an imposter?

Last edited:

Brent

Where do you find yours Brent? What maker is this one?

Sorry not trying to hijack the thread.

I picked up a Perry 16175 from a member here. I have an Aero Unknow Maker 1756 which has always been my favorite jacket. Too small now. It seems Ken and I are one of the few who likes the Perry. ;-} Anyway I knew this Perry was going to be the ticket. It is far from perfect and will require some work, but man I love this jacket. Darn thing just feels right.

Regards, 20180828_092600.jpg

jeremiah

So what does an original feel like? Is it buttery soft? Is it plastic like? I have been told by some it’s buttery soft and by others plastic like so it would seem there were varying feels to the jackets across the different contracts. Makes sense. But can one say that no reproduction A2 comes close to the feel of a war era jacket?

stanier

A Goodwear or ELC repro any day is my preference.

I want my jacket to look like it’s no more than a few years old, not 70 or 80 years old. And be able to wear it with no issues.

An original would only really interest me if it hid its age well, didn’t have dodgy ww2 stitching or other ww2 or contract anomalies so essentially a flawless example, which almost certainly doesn’t exist.

tjoenn

Being that I own one Eastman and one original, I would have to say the original (if I could only wear one). However, since I don't have to chose, I must admit that I wear my Eastman much more often than the original as I do want to be more careful with the real deal, even though it seems as solid as the Eastman. Here they are again, the Eastman when I bought it in 2014 and the Cable bought in February of this year.

Attachments

• IMG_1898_zpsyxx441yp.jpg
    IMG_1898_zpsyxx441yp.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 188
  • Cable Raincoat.jpg
    Cable Raincoat.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 235

B-Man2

Stanier
I completely get what your saying however if I may disagree with you on the existence of flawless examples. I’ve seen several and own three or four of them . So if you could find one then which would you choose ;)

tjoenn

So what does an original feel like? Is it buttery soft? Is it plastic like? I have been told by some it’s buttery soft and by others plastic like so it would seem there were varying feels to the jackets across the different contracts. Makes sense. But can one say that no reproduction A2 comes close to the feel of a war era jacket?
My cable is goat and it's very soft, much softer than my Eastman horsehide and not plastic-like at all. It actually has a very slight sheen to it which may be because it's a factory re-dye. My Eastman, however, has one side of one sleeve which actually has a very stiff, almost plastic feeling to it and I can't seem to soften it up. It doesn't bother me though, but I do wish there was something I could do to make it soft like the rest of the jacket.

dmar836

I too don’t want to add to nor take from the original, period wear of an original.
Reproduction for that reason.
Dave