Repro MA-1 with Original Patches

Discussion in 'Nylon' started by B-Man2, Apr 7, 2019.

1. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

I happened to meet a guy today while at a local gun show, who was wearing a repro MA-1 Flight Jacket . We started to discuss jackets and he explained that he had turned his original MA-1 in when he departed the Air Force, but that he had saved all of his original patches and awards. He said that he found a nice repro and put all of his original awards and patches back on the jacket and wears it whenever the weather permits . Having taken a good look at the jacket I wasn’t so sure that all the patches were originals but he was kind enough to let me photograph his jacket and here it is;

4D7F7007-7439-4BE5-8F8F-726658CE0D6F.jpeg

D16622A4-D492-47CF-85A9-11E616AB3056.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Flightengineer, falcon_ib and s4rmark like this.
  2. Lebowski

Lebowski Well-Known Member

Don't like both things - initial removing original patches from the original jacket and then stitching those original patches on a repro.
    It almost ruined the original jacket and doesn't make repro looking a tiny bit like the original.
    The result - almost ruined original and strange looking overpatched repro.
    That's not my cup of tea.
    P.S. Some patches shown above don't look like originals. Some are originals possibly, but not all.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  3. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

whether any of us like it or not, or have opinions about "to patch, or not to patch" it dont mean a hill of beans to the owner.....he likes it, he served, and he gets to wear it as HE likes, period.

4. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

Hi Lebowski
    I just wanted to reply to your posting and clarify that he didn’t actually damage or destroy the original jacket . The Air Force probably did that when he turn his jacket back in when he left the service. He didn’t get to keep his jacket so he took the patches off before he gave it back.
    I totally agree that many of the patches are not original and are new reproductions
    Cheers

Officer Dibley and Lebowski like this.
  5. Lebowski

Yep, that's the other side of the coin.

B-Man2 likes this.
  6. Lebowski

I understand Burt, cheers.

B-Man2 likes this.
  7. Officer Dibley

Officer Dibley Well-Known Member

Well, that saying about opinions and arseholes has never seemed more apt....... Can’t a vet’ just do what he wants anymore ? Has he not earned that right ?

Pilot, RB25 and Flightengineer like this.
  8. Lebowski

The opinion above was only about the jacket(s) and the patches, strictly according with the topic theme. Burt and me have understood each other well.
    Any vets can do what they want of course. I wouldn't like to discuss any vets with anybody, vets deserve sincere honor and respect. That's it. Nothing to discuss there.

B-Man2 likes this.
  9. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

Everything is good, I’m sure there was no intent to criticize vets or their service. It was just an opinion about the jacket . I get that, no offense taken from my personal prospective. And thanks to the guys who are vets here, to those who have served or in Couchy’s case , who are serving now. Thank you for giving all of us the chance to enjoy our lives and lifestyles, often times at the extreme sacrifice of your own.
    Thank you all!

Micawber likes this.
  10. Lebowski

Exactly, thanks Burt!
    Well said and that's what I would like to say from myself.

B-Man2 likes this.
  11. Spitfireace

Spitfireace Active Member

As a vet I kind of resent people who have never served wearing tacky looking patched repros If you have actually served as said above, you can do whatever you want. Wear it in good health. But also as a vet, don't pretend you did something you actually didn't.