• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacement Knits On A2

Rocky

How much does replacement knits on an A2 jacket hurt the value, or doesn't it?
I've talked to a couple of collectors and one will tell me not at all, and the next one says he wouldn't have it in his collection.

dmar836

I guess that depends. I'd guess that a majority of originals that saw much wear had them replaced at one time - many as early as during the war. Remember, there are 90's repros already sporting replacement cuffs. If they are done well and with the correct type, on a rare jacket, the prices still go sky high. Seldom have I seen a side-by-side comparison of an identically-patched jackets that sold to compare just cuff value differences.
If it's for a display jacket of historical significance (most all originals are to me) that won't be worn, and the originals aren't really tattered to bits, I'd leave them there. In some cases, you really have no choice.
Here's one I have to replace them on as it wouldn't look good even for display.
IMG_6053.jpg

JMO,
Dave
Kansas City, USA

Roughwear

Unless the knits are beyond repair I would leave them as they are, providing of course they are the original ones. Often vets replaced knits post war with inappropriate nylon ones and these IMO are worthy of replacement on an original A2. As a collector I believe a jacket with all original parts, including the knits (provided they are in good order) is preferable to one that has replaced knits however accurate they are.