• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacement knits for A-2

crazyace

Hi, does anyone know if john at GW sells just the waistband and cuffs? I am looking to have mine maybe replaced. I had e-mailed him about a week ago but still have not got a response ( Busy I guess) I know there are some on the bay but don`t want to take a chance on quality and color. I am here in the states so I thought about GW. Maybe ELC?

Persimmon

crazyace said:
Hi, does anyone know if john at GW sells just the waistband and cuffs? I am looking to have mine maybe replaced. I had e-mailed him about a week ago but still have not got a response ( Busy I guess) I know there are some on the bay but don`t want to take a chance on quality and color. I am here in the states so I thought about GW. Maybe ELC?

Eastman will sell replacement cuffs although as you point out buying online can be hit or miss with the colour etc.

Who made your jacket in the first place as they may well be the best place to go to so that you can match exactly to the original specification ?

If its an original post pictures

If your not sure as to repro manufacturer there are many well educated men are on this site and they know their repro's and originals and can advise.

Dr H

crazyace said:

John currently uses RMNZ cuffs - I recently had a quote from Paddy for replacements, so they will sell them if required.

Alternatives to Good Wear:

Vintage Productions here in the US sells MASH knits for A-2s, though they appear to be out of stock at the moment. The knits are dark brown and excellent quality.

http://www.vintageproductions.com/shop/index.php?target=categories&category_id=104

Gibson and Barnes makes and sells excellent knits as well. They are mid-brown and very reasonably priced. Perfect for an Eastman "house" jacket. Make sure you specify that you want their all-wool knits that they use for their Historical A-2s, because they also make some wool blends that you don't want any part of.

I've used both to restore repro's and originals. Excellent knits. I've also sourced Knits from Good Wear, but for some reason it bugs me to distract John with a knit request. That's just me, though. Besides, he has an excellent office assitant taking care of things like knit requests these days.

stubbyeighth

crazyace

JC e-mailed me back and said he got an order for American made knits that are just as good if not better than the ones he has been using coming in about two weeks. :D

JDAM

What are the best quality A-2 knits out there at the moment?

I purchased a set of 100% wool from Ebay and they looked and felt pretty good. But after a short amount of wear they're bobbling and sagging and generally not up to scratch.