• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ReLining a gooD Leather Jacket...wHo to go to?

johnnyjohnny

hi, just put this question to thefedoraloungers, and thought i should seek help here too...

just bought a schott perfecto that was beat up outside, and has parts of the liner disintegrating...the steer leather came back to wonderful life with conditioner, and now i need suggestions for the sheerling and insulated lining...

i live in LaLaLand calif, so i'd like to go with no shearling or insulation...probably something like AeRo puts in their Highwayman jackets, but keep the perfecto label...

first, is changing liners rather than a reconstruction of the original considered taboo on a classic moto jacket?
and second, who would be best to do a relining...hopefully using the original holes for stitching, and other such high grade work...first to come to mind is aero...and how much might such a hi quality relining be

thanks...mY first post here
johnnyjohnny

johnnyjohnny

beCauSe i wiLL kidnaP your a-2 jACKeTs...

but seriously, the answer is non-serious...i spent 13 years in journalism as a reporter/editor/photographer...and got sicK of typing with caps and excessiVe punctuation...hence the mostLy lower case letterS...

however, i got into journaLism because i wanted to be a political cartoonist after spending 3 years as the cartoonist on the ucla bruin...and then winning the calif intercollegiate press association award for best political cartoon in my last yeaR of coLLege...so i got used to writing liKe that...pretty sicKo, huh?

now...does anyone have a suggestion for expert relining of a jacket?

danKe

johnnyjohnny

sNoRRRRRRRR....

...zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

nite jokerz...be sure to waKe yourseLves uP

warmLy,
johnnyjohnny

johnnyjohnny

hi...decided not to do the relining on my old, rather rare perfecto, as it was a bit short and i didn't want to do any custom stuff with the leather...but i had decided that the only place i would trust for a relining, especially if you decide to try and replicate a lining, would be aero...though i assume eastman may do that stuff, and if they do it should be good, but pricey...

as for aero, i talked with mark their u.s. rep and he said they certainly have done stuff like that, but he admitted it would cost...$250 to $300...which is worth it i suppose, if the jacket is

i hear gibson and barnes does relining as well...so you might wish to check that out...and i suppose contacting schott might be a good idea, as they may reline their old jackets back to spec...but i was going to go to aero...i would trust top players in the industry rather than go to a taylor, unless you have some special knowledge they can handle the job

good luck

watchmanjimg

Hey Tommer! Nice to see you're still lurking about.

yOu guYs mIghT Be surprised to hear that re-lining a jacket isn't too hard a job for a decent tailor. I used to have an older ELC house A-2 with bad lining that I didn't want to invest a fortune in, so I took it to a local tailor. For around $45 he relined it with an OD satin material that I bought at a fabric store for a few dollars and it held up fine for 7 years until I sold it to a forum member last year. Sometime before that I sent the jacket to Lost Worlds to have the knits replaced and Stu actually complimented the local guy's work. Clearly this wouldn't be the first choice for a jacket such as the A-2 that requires a specific lining material to be correct, but a moto jacket will do nicely with black nylon or satin material that can be found just about anywhere for cheap. Just food for thought . . .

johnnyjohnny

ReLining...

i had a girlfriend reLined once by a taylor, but it didn't work out too well...

but back on topic, it's nice to know that there are options, and not wholly expensive ones as well...