• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Relationship of A-2 waistband and wearer's beltline

vesicant

Pictures almost always show jackets zipped up, so it's difficult for me to figure this out: on an A-2, where should the horizontal seam between the leather and the knit waistband fall in relation to the wearer's belt? Are there any pictures of good examples?

Dr H

In my A-2s (both Perry contracts in a wartime 44) the horizontal seam above waist knit sits squarely on my waistband of regular jeans. So base of knits sits ca. Halfway down fly (I'm 5' 8" - 5' 9"). My ELC A-1 sits a fraction lower.

Roughwear

My experience with originals is much the same as Ian's, although it does depend on the length of the jacket! Of course most A2s were worn with higher waisted trousers in the War and the trouser waistband would have been above the seam where the leather meets the A2's waistband.

vesicant

Thanks. That's kind of what I was thinking. A fair number of pictures from WWII show the top of the waistband snagged up or bunched around the beltline.

Ian C

I find the top of the leather sits about the top of my jeans and I find I have to keep hooking the jacket over the top with both my ELC jackets. This is partly because 501's have a low rise and as Andrew said people used to wear their trousers higher and also because I have a long back measurement which is a pain. I have ordered longer length jackets and the fit is fine but the rucking over the top of the jeans becomes a bit of a pain. However, as I teach at a college the Simon Cowell 'high-waisted' look is a no no when teaching 'fashion conscious' youths. I swear Adidas is a uniform and I think one of the main reasons for banning smoking indoors is due to the potential fire hazard of all that synthetic material in one place. One spark and the lot could go up like the Hindenburg.

Ian