• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Refurbished G-1" Looking for opinions on this one...

Peter Graham

One and a half years for Aero to restore it. I think that's a record, even by their standards. Looks nicely done, though the lining is rather bright. As for the price, I dunno. I don't follow jackets of that size.

Roughwear

Dave, who is a member here is selling this refurbished jacket. He mentions what was done to it in the auction description.

ButteMT61

Roughwear said:
Dave, who is a member here is selling this refurbished jacket. He mentions what was done to it in the auction description.

Oh I know Andrew. I'm wondering how that sort of rebuild affects values and if that is reasonable for such a thing?
Like I said, I don't have the money for it, but I am interested in something like this down the road as I love the G-1 and it's ilk.
So, what would this jacket be worth (just a ballpark) if it were in that condition, but not restored?
What is your thoughts on value now after the restore?
Not looking to put Dave on the spot or anything - trying to understand what that work does to it's market value. Thanks!

Roughwear

Scott as I'm sure know there are purist collectors who only buy 100% original jackets to add to their collection. There are other people who would buy a heavily restored jacket to wear over a repro. I fall into both camps and would consider this W&G naval jacket were it a smaller size. It really is very difficult to estimate the value of Dave's jacket and as Van suggests contacting him by pm is the best option.

ButteMT61

Very well, thanks gents! I hope this didn't come off as anything negative - purely curious and if I was flush, I would certainly make an offer on it. I would love a jacket like that as I could wear it and not be overly concerned about ruining a relic.

FlyingYankee

I think a good part of the value comes from the fact it is a 48. If this jacket fits you then I would say it is worth it. Just wear it and don't worry about resale value. Also the restoration looks top notch.

ButteMT61

Yes, I was only concerned my lack of knowledge would set me up to overpay had I the money.
Indeed, I never buy a jacket for resale value. I want to wear them, period.
Thanks for the thoughts. I tend to agree with you and if I had the dough, I'd make an offer.