• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reflections on my first reproduction A-2

MarcW

The year was 1990. I had recently begun indulging my interest in WWII and the 8th Air Force through books and magazines, and being naturally drawn to all those A-2 clad young men in so many photos. I was probably aware of the jacket to some degree, certainly from seeing war movies over the years, but the thought of having one to wear was only now taking hold.

I remember getting an advertising insert with a credit card bill, and it was for the Cooper A-2. I thought that, even as cool as it looked, $250 sounded like a lot of money for a jacket. But I set it aside for future consideration. Some time after that I came across a small but persuasive ad in Air Classics magazine for A-2 reproductions being sold as the most authentic you could buy.

I sent a check for $5 to Nose Art Unlimited (now History Preservation Associates) for a catalog and samples, which I still have. The images in the color brochure for those early Eastman A-2's widened my eyes for how close they looked to the historical images I had been studying. The thought of a $250 Cooper was jettisoned for good from my mind and replaced by a $425 Eastman that I just had to have.

In April 1991 it arrived, and I couldn't have been more impressed. Now, these were the days before Eastman began producing original maker models with NOS or period copy zippers, so it was the house model bearing some design cues from Bronco and what might be called an interpretive Talon zip design.

Today the jacket is over 30 years old, as if a WWII example had made it to the early 1970s. The surface of the leather is loaded with individual character, with the back panel being smooth and paint-ready. Compared to similar original examples, though, the finish obscures the natural fine detail of follicles and the sharp foundations of all those wrinkles. But there's something in the way the leather feels, moves, and drapes which is so authentic to originals I've handled, and it just feels right and more so than any other repro I've had.

The jacket is a little snug on me now, and I've got other later reproductions which fit me better, but I can't let go of this, the first.

- Marc
1_ELC_House_A-2_Front.jpeg
2_ELC_House_A-2_Back.jpeg
3_ELC_House_A-2_Chest.jpeg

Pa12

Nice. I also had one of there house jackets years ago and I actually preferred it to the original maker ones. I thought they might have incorporated the best of the bunch.

Chandler

Welcome aboard Marc. To quote a favorite line from a favorite movie, "Your face is familiar... I've seen you somewhere before..." ;)

To all, note the great grain in this early Eastman -- something customers complained about back then (according to conversations with Charles at HPA). "I'm paying $450 for a jacket that already looks beat up?"

How the times, they change.

MarcW

Nice. I also had one of there house jackets years ago and I actually preferred it to the original maker ones. I thought they might have incorporated the best of the bunch.
I feel similarly about a goatskin Flight Suits Gibson & Barnes I have. It's not original maker and much of the hardware doesn't even resemble vintage, but the surface of the goatskin appears in color, character, and wear very much like a vintage Doniger I had for years. Even the lining has worn like originals where the creases have split open. The hide is also a little too thick, making for a heavy jacket, but it looks so vintage.

MarcW

Welcome aboard Marc. To quote a favorite line from a favorite movie, "Your face is familiar... I've seen you somewhere before..." ;)

To all, note the great grain in this early Eastman -- something customers complained about back then (according to conversations with Charles at HPA). "I'm paying $450 for a jacket that already looks beat up?"

How the times, they change.
Thank you. Yep, I've been around a while, but out of sight as I moved on to other things. I also recall those complaints about grainy jackets, and especially asymmetrically grainy, jackets, despite being authentic. That was followed by jackets so free of features that they looked almost like vinyl. Then it all came back around, not only by Eastman, but by others offering grain, wrinkles, artificial wear, and anything looking aged.

MarcW

Nice ELC, have you worn it much?
Thanks. Given the years, it hasn't been worn much at all. Certainly, when it was new and my only jacket, it was getting all the wear. But once original maker jackets started coming out, I moved on to those for most of my wearing. After a while, as I alluded to, this jacket started feeling small on me, so that limited wear further.

MarcW

Yet still chock-full of some the best A-2 info out there.

Yours was one of the best A2 sites available back in the day. I used it exclusively for a number of years. The info contained in it was well written, informative and easy to remember. Thanks for all of that Marc.

Seconded.

Thanks so much! I feel badly that I haven't kept it up over the years, and the photos are so tiny from the slow dial-up modem days. But the information has gotten copied around and expanded by others, so I just let it stay there like the dusty book it's become. As I said before, I moved on to other things in life, and I've recently sold off almost all my WWII collection of uniforms, gear, etc. I still feel the history and the passion, but not the need for all the stuff; possessions get to be a burden as time goes on. I just got to thinking about that first repro, so I thought I'd indulge my sentimentality with a post here.

Marc

Flightengineer

Incredible jacket. Nice to meet you Marс, your website was once one of the first and main ones that I studied when was infected by jackets years ago.

Last edited:

Silver Surfer

be that as it may, Marc, ya dun gud, real gud. I,, for one, appreciated your site, and the efforts made to make it is as informative as was possible. don't feel old and in the way, as there's lotsa old buzzards around here.....and, welcome to the abusement park.

MarcW

Incredible jacket. Nice to meet you Mark, your website was once one of the first and main ones that I studied when was infected by jackets years ago.

be that as it may, Marc, ya dun gud, real gud. I,, for one, appreciated your site, and the efforts made to make it is as informative as was possible. don't feel old and in the way, as there's lotsa old buzzards around here.....and, welcome to the abusement park.

Thank you and thank you. "Abusement park," eh? Some here may recall that I started the first jacket forum way back when as a way to connect the people who were emailing me through the website. It was rare to find people with the same interest to talk to and compare notes and get more information unless you could attend shows, for instance. So many more resources around these days.

johnwayne

Hi Marc, I still have my ELC from a year or two before yours and also a print out from your site from yonks ago!! The house ELC feels heavier than either my GW or original Dubow but as a 42 and now like most of us I’ve ‘grown’ a bit surprisingly it still fits well! Your site was fantastic in aiding my desire to know more about the iconic jacket that the A2 is, so thank you very much in also helping part with much cash over the years!!!