• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Wing Iron Ranger boots

siddhartha

Administrator
Hey guys,

Just picked up a pair of these last week-wife and I were driving to a tile shop in Northern Virginia, and I happened to notice a Red Wing store. Stopped in, and saw they were selling the Iron Rangers, so I decided to try on a pair.

Very impressed-they are very comfortable right out of the box, and I like the speedlace eyelets at the top of the boots. Makes it really easy to put on/off. This is my 3rd pair of Red Wings (I have the Gentleman Travelers, and some pull-ons (Chelsea?)) and they are already the most comfortable.

Also tried to pick up a pair of the waxed laces for my Gentleman Travelers, but they didn't have any. I contacted Red Wing directly, and they shipped a pair to me for free within a couple of days!

The Iron Rangers have some sort of cork midsole, as well as an oil-resistant sole, which makes it quite comfortable to walk on.

Try them out! They are expensive, but I think they're worth it.

Chris

Grant

Hey Chris, Glad you like them. Here's mine after surviving another NYC winter:

dubIV.jpg

siddhartha

Administrator
deeb7 said:
siddhartha said:
Try them out! They are expensive, but I think they're worth it.

What a good move, I've been looking too ... what colour, Chris?

I got the "amber" ones. The other color was a bit more "roughout" and I prefer smoother leather, just because I can make quite a mess sometimes, and those are easier to clean...

I didn't feel like I needed to break these in like I did the GT set. These were comfortable right away, and as I mentioned, the sole is much more shock-absorbing.

siddhartha

Administrator
Grant said:
Hey Chris, Glad you like them. Here's mine after surviving another NYC winter:

dubIV.jpg

Yours look great, Grant!

I bet they match any number of your A-2s, and M422a jackets...

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
siddhartha said:
I got the "amber" ones. The other color was a bit more "roughout" and I prefer smoother leather, just because I can make quite a mess sometimes, and those are easier to clean...

I agree on the roughout, and the amber is great, along with the oro-iginal. I'm also considering black, an unusual choice for me, but it looks great with the bright metal hardware.

316thTCG

Hi all,

great shoes! I have a pair of amber also - worn them nearly everyday for the last two years. The only things I have done to them is replace the lace hooks with eyelets (they were tearing up the hems on my pants) and put new heels on them once. I love these shoes and have also had a few compliments on them to boot (pun intended!).

Jeff

ties70

Red Wings are really good boots and, though expensive at first glance, will be with you for much longer than Cat's ot Timberland's..

I have the Iron Ranger in amber, the 1905 (waiting for their second re-sole), the 1911 in black cherry and the 1913 boots (3rd pair of heels, second pair of front soles, completely redone leather mid-sole).

Regards

Ties