• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reconditioning job

oose

Hi all,

Found this one thought it might be of interest the info on the photo is...

Title from back of print: Pearl Harbor, Hawaii: This aviator's heavy flying suit is being treated to preserve the leather after a reconditioning job at the clothing renovation plant of the Naval Supply Depot of the 14th Naval District. Operating the spray gun is Storekeeper Second Class F. R. Schemm, of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

140-269low1.jpg

yours stu

better duck

Hey Stu,
Nice picture, that compliments the instructions, published in Sweetings "Combat Flying Clothing" and also to be found in several threads on VLJ. Great to see the reconditioning / respraying process in action.
First thing I notice that no attempt is being made to cover the fur of the collar.
Also noticeble is that it is apparently done in the open air. This coincides to "recondition the jacket in a well ventilated space" as per instruction in Sweeting.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
better duck said:
First thing I notice that no attempt is being made to cover the fur of the collar.

True ... though the picture is one of a series, and Storekeeper Schemm may have just posed for the photographer.

Roughwear

deeb7 said:
better duck said:

True ... though the picture is one of a series, and Storekeeper Schemm may have just posed for the photographer.

You may well be right David. His white shirt tooks pristine! Surely the guy would wear an overall and perhaps a face mask when re-spraying flying clothing? I know health and safety wasn't deemed as important then as it is now, but nevertheless it couldn't have been much fun to have spray paint in the eyes!