• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommended Snipe Software

SteveN

Hi Guy,

It's been a while, but I'm back and in the mood to finally learn the eBay game.

Some time ago, perhaps even when at cornellsurgery, someone posted some recommendations on 'sniping' software, along with some good explanations of how it all worked.

I pretty much remember the 'whys' of using the software, so I'm now looking for some recommendations for some specific 'sniping' software packages that work on the Mac.

Any Mac users here using this?

Cheers,
- SteveN

Jason

Perhaps you might consider a web-based sniper system.
Since we're on the other side of the world from where most auctions of interest to us occur, they generally end when you and I are tucked up in bed. That means that if you were wanting to use a software based sniper, you'd need to keep your Mac on all night while you snooze. With web snipers, you give it your auction of interest, the amount you want to pay up to, and it goes away and does its thing at the last second in the auction on your behalf. You don't have to have your Mac on, you don't even have to be awake at the time!

But using the web based snipers means you have to accept:
1) that you have to trust that web sniper with your ebay username & password so it can proxy bid for you
2) that you'll have to pay for the service.

In defence of these negatives, I've never had problems with my web based sniper as far as trustworthiness is concerned, and the fees are very reasonable (I think its about 1% of your auction win price, and no win / no charge basis - at least for service I use)

handworn

I agree with Jason. I use the free Auction Sentry sniping software for when the auction is ending while I'm at home, and freeauctionsniping.auctionstealer.com (which is also free, at least for 3 bids per week...unlimited bids is what costs you) for when it's not or when I'm asleep.

SteveN said:
Hi Guy,

It's been a while, but I'm back and in the mood to finally learn the eBay game.

Some time ago, perhaps even when at cornellsurgery, someone posted some recommendations on 'sniping' software, along with some good explanations of how it all worked.

I pretty much remember the 'whys' of using the software, so I'm now looking for some recommendations for some specific 'sniping' software packages that work on the Mac.

Any Mac users here using this?

Cheers,
- SteveN

SteveN

Jason said:
Perhaps you might consider a web-based sniper system.
Since we're on the other side of the world from where most auctions of interest to us occur, they generally end when you and I are tucked up in bed. That means that if you were wanting to use a software based sniper, you'd need to keep your Mac on all night while you snooze. With web snipers, you give it your auction of interest, the amount you want to pay up to, and it goes away and does its thing at the last second in the auction on your behalf. You don't have to have your Mac on, you don't even have to be awake at the time!

But using the web based snipers means you have to accept:
1) that you have to trust that web sniper with your ebay username & password so it can proxy bid for you
2) that you'll have to pay for the service.

In defence of these negatives, I've never had problems with my web based sniper as far as trustworthiness is concerned, and the fees are very reasonable (I think its about 1% of your auction win price, and no win / no charge basis - at least for service I use)

Thanks. Good advice.

Which software do you use then?

Regards,
- SteveN

Jason

I was going to recommend EZ Sniper - free trial, no pay if you don't win, and reliable & trustworthy for me so far (2+ years) - but some of those others look very good, especially if you're not using it a lot eg: just to snipe the expensive items, or the small items you really don't want to miss out on.

Reminds me, must log in and snipe a small item tonight, I'll be away on holidays when the auction ends. Ain't technology great?