• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommend sniping software?

jollygreenslugg

I've used http://www.justsnipe.com for about seven years, without any problems. The free version gives five snipes per week, and the premium version gives a few better options.

I have no connection with the website, other than being a happy user.

Cheers,
Matt

ausreenactor

I just go to 75% of retail off the bat for WWII repro stuff I am chasing, and around 60% for jackets, and make the other guy earn his 'win'.....

In the old days when I had to drive to my parents for a Computer I used eSnipe. I still have credit for bid points from my initial registration...

Couchy...

dmar836

Actually, I can find no rule on Ebay's site prohibiting sniping programs. After all that only ensures more competitive bidding and greater profits for them.

But (I'll vent) since when do people really care what the rules are when using Ebay? Look at the debates such topics has caused on VLJ before concerning even those clearly stated rules.

I'm more getting into the collector to collector sales and trading rather than paying Ebay and PP to host ridiculous competitiveness.

bretron

I like sniping because I can check a lot of the final bidding emotion at the door; set my tip top bid and walk away. Plus I got so frustrated with losing out at the last second to snipes that I decided it was better to join the party r/t complain that the music was too loud... It's definitely a program that I wish didn't exist, tho.

Fwiw I use auction sniper and have no complaints

a2jacketpatches

bretron said:
I like sniping because I can check a lot of the final bidding emotion at the door; set my tip top bid and walk away. Plus I got so frustrated with losing out at the last second to snipes that I decided it was better to join the party r/t complain that the music was too loud... It's definitely a program that I wish didn't exist, tho.

Fwiw I use auction sniper and have no complaints

Agreed, Ive been on Ebay since 2000, always sit there at the last minute losing to a sniper like a chump. I'm usually only buying materials or a tool for my shop/ patches. My collecting efforts are like real hunting and real work, getting up at the crack of dawn and most of the time earlier than that. So the stuff I find and any deals I get are earned. Auction or not, Ebay seems like retail to me when it comes to rare and desirable items and it's dog eat dog. I'm just sick of losing a piece of leather for 50 cents to a sniper after taking the time to be there . Putting in my top bid and walking away will allow me to bid on more without a waste of time.

Hawkeye

I use quicksnipe.com, they did start charging a fee several months ago but its minuscule. I'm very happy with it.

grommet

I think snipping manually is the best part of the auction.
Just like relationships, it's all about the chase. Actually having something is often something of a let down.
If my wife reads this, I am just joking.

a2jacketpatches

I used to get exited sitting here waiting to manually snipe at the last second until recently. After reading a discussion on another forum about the same thing, the fact that there's a time limit just leaves everything to whoever commits the most amount of money first. Unlike a real auction where you can keep going in an exciting bidding war, sniping manually or with a program is the same. Put in your max amount and maybe get lucky. Whether you sit there and wait til the last second or not, the countdown has the final say and your bid being highest is like a roll of the dice.

I've been to a few real auctions for some cool stuff and that's where the thrill is. I got beat out of a box full of patches in Boston a few years ago. I could see the look on the guys face and how he was gonna beat me no matter what. But I made him pay about 250- for 250- worth of patches. And on other occasions got some great deals. I'll be getting back into it soon, a great way to get militaria and a lot of fun.

But as for this post, I was looking for an easier way to win some ten dollar supplies. It's a matter of getting good prices by auto-sniping a bunch at a time as opposed to winning all if my max bid was very high on everything. Easy enough to win any auction whether sniping on not, just put in a crazy high bid that nobody will try to beat. I can't really see how auto-sniping has any advantage at all beside not having to be at your computer.

dmar836

That seams like a logical way to win until someone else tries it too and you drop $500 on a $50 patch or something.
I do like the feeling of the last minute bid - like a gun drawing contest. But it is true that that whole previously placed bid thing will always set eBay apart from any real auction.
So how do multiple snipe programs effect the auction? Who wins between competing bot bids?

Dave

2BM2K

So how do multiple snipe programs effect the auction? Who wins between competing bot bids?

AFAIK snipe programs are a one-shot snipe. Just like real snipers, hence the name?

a2jacketpatches

dmar836 said:
That seams like a logical way to win until someone else tries it too and you drop $500 on a $50 patch or something.
I do like the feeling of the last minute bid - like a gun drawing contest. But it is true that that whole previously placed bid thing will always set eBay apart from any real auction.

Dave

Well, I don't think I'd get bid up that high on a 50- patch. The Boston Auction had a preview where everyone was able to flip through everything, I've got a decent knowledge of patches in general as well as other items from all branches of service. So I guesstimated about 250- as a low price for all and a little meat left on the bone, and I didn't mind tying up that much even if it was right on the money just because I'd like to have them for a while. The hobby part of it can sometimes override common sense for me. But never too bad. I might, and have, dropped 100- on something worth only 50- based on a guess that it might be worth more, but 500- ? I wouldn't do that unless I was absolutely sure.

What are your thoughts on an MAS 36 and Mosin Nagant Carbines? I can tell you've probably got more insight on these than I do, and it's my latest possible roll of the dice. Guy want 250- for each, they look outstanding. A little research shows them much cheaper but in not as good condition. Any details to look for?

dmar836

I have guns but don't collect them per se. $250 does sound high for the Nagant but if it's pristine and maybe not import marked it's worth what you can justify paying just to make it yours. I doubt you could easily resell for that so it sounds like if the conditions are met it would be a "buying long" proposition.
JMO and I'm sure there are those with much better knowledge.
Dave

m444uk

2BM2K said:

AFAIK snipe programs are a one-shot snipe. Just like real snipers, hence the name?

The snipe program just sends your high bid to ebay near the end of the auction. After the auction closes ebay awards the win to the highest incremental bid. It's irrelevant if the bid is a proxy left on ebay, an automated bid or manually entered.

I've used Gixen.com for years. A free no frills server based bid.