• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommend an A-2 looking motorcycle jacket with armour?

Django

Does anyone know of a good brown motorcycle jacket that looks sorta like an A-2, but has all the extra padding and such like the modern motorycycle jackets?

I "had" a Joe Rocket vintage looking cafe jacket in black and red, but after a hit and run, it got a giant tear down the front. It did it's job, but now I need a new jacket! I really would like a brown padded jacket this time, but I have had no luck this time around. Seems like ebay is mostly fashion oriented "motorcycle" jackets. Suggestions?

atkins

How about US Authentics?, the leather's so thick from the samples at hand:
A2russetF.jpg

and
sportster.jpg

and this one seems thick and cool looking.
leon-kennedy-jacket-front.jpg

Django

My concern though is that it is not padded like a modern motorcycle jacket. Looks great though!

Tommer45

I know you're going for the A-2 look, and this one isn't that.. but it's nice.

It's the British Motorcycle Gear "Montana Jacket". I've handled it in person and it is a dark brown (most of the pictures of it look black). The leather is very nice and it has all the required padding. I'd pick one up if I didn't already have a closet full.

http://www.britishmotorcyclegear.com/montana-jacket.asp

Tommer

dmar836

I have two actually armored jackets for MC use. Based on the fit and intent of the A-2, I doubt a truly padded(i.e. inserted armor) could be found or even made to look right. I remove most of the pads due to comfort even on those. IMO, external padding on an A-2 might not look right. I have several other jackets too - a couple Brooks, Schott Perfecto, etc. The pads along with the tight shoulders and slim fit of the A-2 might make it look not so much like an A-2 anymore. The forces in a wreck might roll and shred an A-2 also as true biker jackets are designed to stay a certain way in a wreck.
This is JMO but wear an A-2 or a jacket designed for MCs. The bend of the arms and length of arms and body of the modern jackets make them much more comfortable and make them look better when riding - especially on a sportbike. I've ridden in them all. So go with what turns you on in the MC jacket world. Or, better, just wear an A-2 on the bike and live with the funny fit(lack of the bi-swing back is really noticeable). Gauntlet gloves will cover the pulled-up sleeves. If you're game, buy a cheap Cooper A-2 and add some similar or contrasting padding to the elbows and shoulders. Might look kinda neat. Like the pads on this early 80's Brooks.
IMG_6175.jpg

FYI, I remember seeing a kid with a MC specific jacket(sportbike Power Ranger style) in a theater once. Even though I ride and have such jackets, he looked really silly and out of place - almost like a showoff.
If you ride an old M-20, go with the A-2!

Again, JMO,
Dave
Kansas City, USA

Django

Thanks guys.

The Montana looks nice. Is that brown though?

I'll look for the Hein G. on ebay. Thanks for the tip!

Yeah, I guess in the end, I just need a comfortable bike jacket that I don't mind wearing when it's 85° out, and is brown. :)

Tommer45

Yes the Montana my buddy has is a dark brown. I've also read in various reviews that although it looks black in pictures it's actually dark brown.