• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recently Sold Painted A2 Questions

jfairclo

Hello everyone, I’m new to the forum but I’m fairly active over on USMILITARIA forum. I thought this may be a better place to post this jacket. It recently sold at auction and I was in on the bidding but it went too high for me. Did any of you see this or bid on it and if so what did you think? Star sportswear A2 with nose art on back. It looks legit to me but the knits seemed a little too new looking. Thanks!

Jacob

Attachments

• IMG_5425.png
    IMG_5425.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_5414.png
    IMG_5414.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5406.png
    IMG_5406.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_5426.png
    IMG_5426.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_5427.png
    IMG_5427.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 72

jfairclo

I assumed that knits were commonly replaced but it threw me off. Afterwards I was doing some research and saw where Tony Starcer (the guy who painted the Memphis Belle) painted the nose art for "Skunkface" so I guess he could have painted the jacket. Maybe I missed out haha!

Jacob

Silver Surfer

The wrist knits look to be a match for the waistband…….at least by the pix shown. Also the wrist knits appear to be longer than replacements, and appear to be stretched from usage. All in all, a very nice example of an original star. I might note that this example, like the one I own, is lighter in coloration than the majority of stars, making it a little more sought after.

jfairclo

As an aside there were three 91st BG H B-17's at Bassingbourn with the name Skunk Face with nose art painted by Tony Starker:

Skunkface 42-29656
Skunkface II 42-3061
Skunkface III 44-6568
That’s neat, didn’t know there were three named the same. Was this jacket likely painted by Starcer?

Dumpster D

That flight helmet has those 'rigger' made headphones!! Someone disassembled a headset and installed the foam rubber ear cushions into their sheepskin helmet. Very cool, looks like they upgraded the oxygen mask DOT snap fasteners for the oxygen mask too.

There's a couple threads about a B-6 repro flight helmet mod project here, inspired from an original someone here restored, and also made a great thread worth browsing IMHO.

You should check that out if you're into it, really cool mod project that took me awhile to put together.

I've learned a lot about cool up and coming reproduction clothing makers, and original flight jackets since being a member here, so stick around if you're into finding some cool gear people are into!!

I'm not sure how to post a link here to those B-6 helmet threads, if anyone could please help me post that link here?

You might have to dig for them (I think they're somewhere on the first few pages of the 'related gear' section, under B-6 helmet restoration or project?)

Last edited:

Thomas Koehle

Hello everyone, I’m new to the forum but I’m fairly active over on USMILITARIA forum. I thought this may be a better place to post this jacket. It recently sold at auction and I was in on the bidding but it went too high for me. Did any of you see this or bid on it and if so what did you think? Star sportswear A2 with nose art on back. It looks legit to me but the knits seemed a little too new looking. Thanks!

Jacob

That's one awesome piece of history!

What was the final bid on the lot?

Micawber

That’s neat, didn’t know there were three named the same. Was this jacket likely painted by Starcer?

Possibly Starcer or one of his team of friends or maybe someone else. Keeping up with demand for painting aircraft, jackets and patches was time consuming.

jfairclo

Possibly Starcer or one of his team of friends or maybe someone else. Keeping up with demand for painting aircraft, jackets and patches was time consuming.
I figured, it seems he painted many b17’s. Still an interesting piece with a cool connection though.

jfairclo

If it does have replacement knits does that hurt the value of a painted jacket like this? Since it’s painted and in relatively decent shape I thought maybe it didn’t matter but I was still put off by it.

Jacob