• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Real McCoy RW

jacketimp

Tim P said:
Not a fan of the rough wear cut anyhow. thta excessive distressing will be fixed up nice with pecards because RMNZ horsehide is very forgiving and patinas as nicely as any leather i have seen.

ok gotcha........sort of.......

442RCT

jacketimp said:
Tim P said:
no way will it restore to new of course but it wont worsen that jacket
that's tricky.......paradox......oxymoron??

It won't improve the jacket leather, but how about a nekkid redhead painted on it to distract viewers away from the surface damage to the leather ? How about lots and lots of paint ? :idea: :eek: :p

jacketimp

442RCT said:
jacketimp said:
Tim P said:
no way will it restore to new of course but it wont worsen that jacket
that's tricky.......paradox......oxymoron??

It won't improve the jacket leather, but how about a nekkid redhead painted on it to distract viewers away from the surface damage to the leather ? How about lots and lots of paint ? :idea: :eek: :p

if it's your jkt do wahtever you want with it.........

442RCT

I knew I read a thread in the archives about pre-distressed A-2s, the original thread was about ELCs and someone posted a link to a distressed BR jacket. There must be a market out there for fake 50 mission distressed jackets. :lol: One of the funniest distressed items I once saw on sale was a brand new rack of 'sweat stained' cowboy hats. the only thing missing was a bullet hole or arrow through the crown.

http://www.buzzricksons.jp/product/army ... -0005.html

I 'm not saying the RM jacket will look like this BR, I dunno what the RM jacket will look like until it gets here...probably in 2.5 weeks from what the seller estimates. You know how photos may or may not depict the actual jacket finish.

Recently I purchased a couple of jackets off of e-Bay, one of the jackets had been dyed green, wrist, waistband, and leather. I wasn't paying attention and thought the jacket was brown. When it arrived and saw it was green, I went to the pics posted on e-Bay...yup the jacket in the pics was green. My bad. I plan on turning the jacket into a GI jacket with a couple of GI Jane pin-ups on the back. I haven't decided to make it an airborne jacket or a 442 RCT tribute.

I also purchased a Willis & Geiger A-2 last month. The seller stated it was horsehide, and it may have been. The hide had significant patterning, not graining mind you but a stripe patterning. This showed in the pics, but I discounted it to being from the effects of a flash on the camera. Again the seller depicted accurately what the jacket looked like. Again my bad. I'm hoping an application of Pecard's will 'blend' the leather into an even shade.

Jay

A

Anonymous

Easy fix for that jacket. Re dye it. Easy and fun to do.

I would use alcohol to wipe the jacket down first to remove surface oils.

When dry, use your favorite color leather dye, apply two coats of a slightly darker brown. (available at shoe repair shops or online search)

Allow to dry, polish with a clean cloth, then Pecards. Polish again.

Worked for me on a few jackets. Just take your time around the edges.

Pecards would cover those lighter worn spots, but not match the overall color of that jacket, it would still look like a two tone fake distressed abortion IMHO. Anything you do to it would improve it I would think but the re dye works great.

Good luck, looks like a great fixer up jacket.

442RCT

Thanks, I will definitely try that on the Willis & Geiger jacket, I probably might not have that option with the RM jacket as there are other factors to consider.

BONNIEGIRL4

Easy answer, about 4 years ago RMNZ did a run of a A-2's with a chocolate soft, grainy HH,Unfortunately it had a very heavy coating that gave it 100 Gigawatt shine. I have one in a Monarch. I believe Grant had one and he said sanding would GRAY the jacket's color and he was correct. Someone sanded this jacket, let it go - TOM

Andrew

BONNIEGIRL4 said:
Easy answer, about 4 years ago RMNZ did a run of a A-2's with a chocolate soft, grainy HH,Unfortunately it had a very heavy coating that gave it 100 Gigawatt shine. I have one in a Monarch. I believe Grant had one and he said sanding would GRAY the jacket's color and he was correct. Someone sanded this jacket, let it go - TOM

Another valuable post from a long term Member who's willing to share usefull info about detail that gets lost in the evolution of VLJ sites.
Good one Tom.

A

Anonymous

I believe the gent said he had purchased the jacket and was asking advice on how to fix it. It appears light brown worn spots, in the picture, not grey to my eye?

BONNIEGIRL4

The "GRAYING" I mentioned, meant when you sand the polylaquerate coating it is like scratching clear plastic, therebye creating a dull opaque "grayish" topcoat, dulling what was a beautiful shade of chocolate brown, which RMNZ had called russet, but really was more seal, KABISH ? - TOM

jacketimp

if that's waht happened then too heavy handed sand papering?

point is has the member bought the jkacket?

if so maybe post pics to reassess?

sometimes photos don't refelct the real condition.....

A

Anonymous

Yes, I agree, he bought it so now he is stuck with it, or he can try and repair the sanded damage I would think? Or sell it.

What ever the base color, light brown, or gray...it can still be re dyed IMHO.

Understand, some people would not buy it do to damage, or base coat color, but best of luck with it, none the less.

zoomer

I own a 16159 in the "heavy coated" seal finish, with contrasting OD thread.
It makes the jacket actually squeak when you move, despite the nicely soft hide.
(I found this out when I wore it to a concert in a small recital hall and everyone could hear my jacket :oops: )
3487066836_7bccb6191b.jpg

Mine's tagged 46 but fits closer to 44, with a slightly short front.
3486252757_f45662da42.jpg

The collar is the classic Rough Wear "cowl", with the snaps placed so it folds well above the stand.
It's nicely protective in weather, but impedes the wearing a of a fedora when raised.

442RCT

Hey guys, i didn't intend to start anything in re:my new/used RM acquisition. I haven't actually received it yet, ETA will be another 2 weeks. I wasn't looking to 'fix' anything on this jacket...at least not yet.

My jacket 'collecting' preference isn't the same as many of the members here. I'm not a repro purist as far as the jacket being made exactly like a WW2 jacket. I'm more focused on the 'Art of the Flight Jacket', pretty much where an artist uses the flight jacket as his/her canvas. I like all sorts of flight jacket art, not just what would be called, stylistically WW2. I also like modern 'interpretations', I like what I guess would be 'a theme' or 'a tribute' jacket art. Like the title of a book about nose art- Planes, Names and Dames.
This particular RM jacket was an artist project of which the 'aging' was part of his interpretation. I'm cool with that. When the jacket arrives, I'll post the pics of it. If I don't find the 'aging' process to be to my liking, then I might want to 'fix' it, but I don't anticipate not liking what's been done to the jacket.

So thanks for all the input and recommendations, some of the recommendations I can and will use with some of my other jackets which do need fixing.

Jay

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
442RCT said:
This particular RM jacket was an artist project of which the 'aging' was part of his interpretation.

Aha ... now that makes more sense.

I don't exactly know...I didn't ask, I just 'assumed' this was something done by RM.

442RCT

I e-mailed the seller after receiving the feedback from forum members about the distressed jacket and asked him about the aging process, was it a factory finish or done by someone else and he told me that the artist was the one who did the distressing process. The seller had a concept in mind and he collaborated with the artist to do the final design of the jacket, so the jacket was supposed to look like it does. From what I've seen, it looks like a killer jacket to me...maybe not in the 'realistic' A-2 collector tradition, but more in an artists interpretation. :ugeek:

Jay

jacketimp

442RCT said:
I e-mailed the seller after receiving the feedback from forum members about the distressed jacket and asked him about the aging process, was it a factory finish or done by someone else and he told me that the artist was the one who did the distressing process. The seller had a concept in mind and he collaborated with the artist to do the final design of the jacket, so the jacket was supposed to look like it does.

From what I've seen, it looks like a killer jacket to me...maybe not in the 'realistic' A-2 collector tradition, but more in an artists interpretation. :ugeek:

that's important......you've bought the jacket and it's important to be happy with it

Jay

frankly jay, if i want something i just go ahead and get it....

for an artitistic killer jacket i may consult my bank manager.....for a loan