• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rare WWII AN-J-3A Navy flight jacket

bazelot

I just got this jacket but unfortunately it is a too small for me. Everything is original on it. It has amazing patina with beautiful leather. THe spec tag is in excellent shape, it still retains its original blackened Talon zipper which works flawlessly and the original lining is in great shape also. The cuffs are shot though. It still has its original paper tag in the pocket. THere is a burn mark on the shoulder and I really wonder what happened there :)
THe ANJ3A jackets are really rare and I actually never owned one before this one. I will most likely sell it as it is not my size though.

073a17.jpg

073a15.jpg

073a13.jpg

073a12.jpg

073a11.jpg

073a10.jpg

073a9.jpg

073a8.jpg

073a2.jpg

073a1.jpg

073a24.jpg

073a21.jpg

073a19.jpg

073a18.jpg

galvestonokie

very nice jacket, great patina. wish it was my size. this is a pool jacket, rather than one that was issued. air reserve training detachment. these were kept and inventoried by the paraloft, issued to whomever was on flight orders and didn't have an issued jacket. bob

bazelot

galvestonokie said:
very nice jacket, great patina. wish it was my size. this is a pool jacket, rather than one that was issued. air reserve training detachment. these were kept and inventoried by the paraloft, issued to whomever was on flight orders and didn't have an issued jacket. bob

Thanks for the info. What does Nartu mean? It actually belonged to a PBY pilot. According to his son this one belonged to a crew member from his plane and he traded it for something else to bring back to his wife.

Cobblers161

At a guess I'd say the 'art' in 'nartu' stands for Air Reserve Training, possibly Unit.

Beautiful jacket, such a shame it's too small.

bazelot

So I guess it stands for Naval Air Reserve Training Unit. It sizes more like a 40 than a 38 (hence the 40 under Nartu I guess)

RCSignals

bazelot said:
So I guess it stands for Naval Air Reserve Training Unit. It sizes more like a 40 than a 38 (hence the 40 under Nartu I guess)

The 40 could be the number of the Unit or more likely the inventory number of the jacket rather than size.

galvestonokie

+1 on the naval air reserve training unit. also, the 40 is the inventory number of the jacket. i have pictures in USMC cruise book of my buddies wearing pool jackets with both squadron and an inventory number stenciled in white on the jacket. common practice to prevent the pilfering of jackets. never worked. bob