• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RARE WW 2 PAINTED FLIGHT JACKET GROUP,2 JACKETS, 5TH AF

Roughwear

Cobblers161 said:
Also the wing tip touches the Dutch Flag in a completely different place.

We don't know whether the art work on the two jackets had been 100% completed when the photo was taken. They appear to be hanging in a hanger along with a partially completed B-24 picture, so it may be finishing touches were painted after the photo was taken and this could explain why the wing end is more rounded in the recent colour photo and appears to touch the Dutch flag in a slightly different place.

I'm not the buyer of these jackets so have no self interest in the art work being authentic.

dmar836

Andrew,
The incomplete B-24 painting appears to be on a B-4 bag. Perhaps the one crossed off on the list on the manila folder. Anyone seen a painted B-4 bag sold recently?
Dave
Kansas City, USA

Roughwear

dmar836 said:
Andrew,
The incomplete B-24 painting appears to be on a B-4 bag. Perhaps the one crossed off on the list on the manila folder. Anyone seen a painted B-4 bag sold recently?
Dave
Kansas City, USA

I'm not so sure it is a B-4 bag. It is hanging lower than other painted jackets and appears to have a mouton collar and epaulets.

better duck

Roughwear said:
We don't know whether the art work on the two jackets had been 100% completed when the photo was taken. .

Closer inspections reveals indications that the artwork in the B&W pic indeed on at least the right hand jacket hadn't completely finished:
The horizontal striping on the port vertical stabiliser is not yet present;
There is no roundel / star on the starbord wing

Roughwear

better duck said:
Roughwear said:
We don't know whether the art work on the two jackets had been 100% completed when the photo was taken. .

Closer inspections reveals indications that the artwork in the B&W pic indeed on at least the right hand jacket hadn't completely finished:
The horizontal striping on the port vertical stabiliser is not yet present;
There is no roundel / star on the starbord wing

Thanks Peter, your additional observations support my argument that the artwork on the jackets was not been completed when the photo was taken and to say the pictures on the Ebay jackets have been faked or at the very least re-touched in recent times is highly unlikely.

Cobblers161

I'm not saying the ebay jacket is a fake btw, just pointing out that in my opinion it is not the jacket on display on the left. For instance, another one, the flags in the b/w image are almost touching. Not so in the ebay pic. As for the wing it's too far to the left in the colour shot, even if the artwork wasn't complete, the wingtips would have to be erased and redrawn otherwise the thickness of the wing itself would not correspond to the colour shot. In the b/w shot the wingtip is almost at the right hand side of the Dutch flag.

Also the tail doesn't look the same, the stripe has a more acute angle on the b/w pic and the shape of the belly where it meets the tail is different.

Looks like the same artist maybe but not the same jacket.

It's deffo a jacket on the right hand side, as mentioned you can see the collar and epaulets.

Roughwear

It is quite likely that two guys in the picture painted all the jackets for the crew of the vet's B-24, so it could well be that there were slight differences between the art work on different jackets. This would explain some of the differences which Steve points out. It does not mean though that the recently sold jackets have faked artwork.

better duck

Roughwear said:
It is quite likely that two guys in the picture painted all the jackets for the crew of the vet's B-24, so it could well be that there were slight differences between the art work on different jackets. This would explain some of the differences which Steve points out. It does not mean though that the recently sold jackets have faked artwork.
That's exactly what I was thinking. This would mean that the jackets we see in the B&W photo are not the same ones as those offered for sale, but belonged to the same batch. A bit like our Tim painting 10 jackets on a Saturday afternoon in his garage for his reenactment buddies (wasn't that "Little Patches", Tim?).
Also the fact that they are offered as parts of an estate, with a lot of absolutely genuine items, makes me now tend to the "genuine side".
Not that it matters, as Andrew pointed out, because we don't have a stake in this bidding. But while it was going on, I found this one of the more entertaining threads on VLJ!

dmar836

It's interesting that the unfinished jacket, that I at first quickly assumed was a bag, appears to be affixed to a flat form as if it was currently being painted. Cool. Never saw that before!
Dave
Kansas City, USA