• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RARE pre-WWII 1937 B-3 white leather flight jacket

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
4147936014_1c134eb4aa_o.png

Oh, I see what you mean ... that looks like it was created sometime last week.

Exactly! I simply don't believe that, and some of the other parts of the jacket, are more than 70 years old. As you say, that looks, not just good, but brand new!
It's not usual to find pristine collar straps on lightly worn B-3s even ones dating before the war as they got little exposure to the light or wear hidden beneath the collar.
The chest buckle would have been exposed to the same elements as say the rank tabs, yet the difference is like night and day. Surely has to be a recent restoration.

Peter Graham

I tend to think that the fittings have to be original. Here's a puzzler. I kept looking at the fifth photo on the top row and couldn't work out what I was looking at. I then realised that the jacket has another zipper on one side at the waist. Was anyone aware that early B-3's had this ? News to me.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
Exactly! I simply don't believe that, and some of the other parts of the jacket, are more than 70 years old. As you say, that looks, not just good, but brand new!

Miles, I looked at the picture of a version 2 in Full Gear. Again, the tan leather straps appear to be in almost new condition. Also the thread I linked to on the first page ... another example where they're looking pretty good. Maybe they are just some indestructable cow, or horse, or perhaps they were seldom used.

Full Gear lists S.F.A.D as a 1937 maker of A-3 trousers, they also note an unnamed 1937 B-3 contract 37. 2063 P, with a woven label. This is the one illustrated ... perhaps S.F.A.D is the maker.

Both examples are version 2, with the chest buckle, and both are DWG. NO. 33G5595. Later versions are DWG. NO. 33H5595, or 33-5595.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Peter Graham said:
I then realised that the jacket has another zipper on one side at the waist. Was anyone aware that early B-3's had this ? News to me.

Ha ... so it has. :)

In the Full Gear picture, there's something shiny just peaking out above the side strap, but it's impossible to say for sure.

asiamiles

Peter Graham said:
I tend to think that the fittings have to be original. Here's a puzzler. I kept looking at the fifth photo on the top row and couldn't work out what I was looking at. I then realised that the jacket has another zipper on one side at the waist. Was anyone aware that early B-3's had this ? News to me.

Great spot. So the wearer could access his pistol holster?

m444uk

Peter Graham said:

See Swing's post on page 1.

As for the straps I don't see how they could reach the chest buckle therefore it is probably for hanging
a piece of equipment on like an intercom tube or microphone.

Maybe the collar studs are for holding the collar at half mast like a rolled over polo neck ?

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
Are there SAAD repros? The odd chest buckle might deter the customers.

Yes, I've seen them in Japanese catalogs, complete with chest buckle. Don't recall if from RM, The Few or Buzz.