• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random thought of the day: The aging of 70's/E-series G-1s

brownbanana

Hey guys, just had a thought and wondered if you guys care to chime in.

I've got a 70's Brill Bros. G-1 that will be a daily beater of sorts (when this awful weather cools down) and I couldn't help but think of how these cow jackets will break-in in the long run. Of course there are tons of info. on this site with goat, HH, etc., but there isn't much on the "beater" cows.

So anyways, just wondering for those that have given their cow jackets plenty of wear, what can I expect to develop after long term wearing. Would it be safe to say that the surface layer will chip off and I'll end up with some crazy ugly suede jacket (since the whole goat grain stamp process has been mentioned), LoL, or could I actually expect for some details to develop over time that will make it look aged and pleasant? Is it even possible that some sort of patina/texture will emerge?

If this has been mentioned elsewhere, please re-direct. Thanks in advance.

Jason

Re: Random thought of the day: The aging of 70's/E-series G-

You know, thats a good question. I wore my Imperial 7823E for a winter season (as at the time it was the only one that fit me) ... and not a lot happened with it. Its possible that the embossed grain on these G-1s hide any minor changes in the grain or texture of the leather. It might take a bit longer than one season for something noticable to show up? About the only change I noted was the leather got a bit squeaky!