• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random Cool Photo Thread

Ritchy

WWII in colour_317.jpg

Attachments

• WWII in colour_317.jpg
    WWII in colour_317.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 76
  • WWII in colour Plane_65.jpg
    WWII in colour Plane_65.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 81

FlakMagnet

Oh yes, I was fooled when there was a logo indicating the colorization.
It's well done (for once...).
I"ve been impressed by HowdiColor's colourisation work. He can be a bit heavy-handed with his cyans, but there are some serious eye-poppers there.

FlakMagnet

Another colouriser whose work I enjoy is Daniel Rarity. He's New Zealand based, and the majority of his work is of Kiwis in WW2

caption: "Pilot Officer McBride (Intelligence Officer) interrogates a group of RNZAF No. 18 Squadron P-40 Kittyhawk pilots after their return from a mission. Torokina, Bougainville. Feb 1944"
290386007_2952698474875721_1342692381165776803_n.jpg

309235761_489778979829759_3811688992389922687_n.jpg

Kermit3D

Yeah, it's not bad. I like that there is a statement on the photo that clearly states that the photo is colorized.

I've commented on this before, but I have mixed feelings about colorizing black and white photos.

I am a CG artist myself. With almost 20 years of professional experience, I can say that it is extremely complicated to colorize a picture correctly. Not to say almost impossible. It goes far beyond the application of a colorized layer with a blending mode on Photoshop.
Imho 99% of the time the result is just bad.
In addition to the technical aspect, it requires excellent historical knowledge (choice of colors for vehicles/uniforms) and artistic knowledge (choice of colors according to the ambient light).
It is nevertheless a technically interesting exercise, I don't want to discourage anyone, but please, put clearly a mention that the photo has been colorized.

I'm also a photography enthusiast (I didn't say I was a good photographer) and I must say that I really like these black and white photos... and I must admit that I'm sometimes a little saddened when I see them smeared with color.
I also love the original color photos, they are rare and incredibly beautiful documents. These period color photos are not the reflection of reality. Each film (Kodachrome, Agfa Color,...) has its own specificity and its own "signature" in the rendering of colors.

Finally a last point, these photos are above all historical documents, and in my opinion they must be treated as such. It is necessary to take care to preserve them as well as possible.

Sorry if my words are confusing, I sometimes find it hard to say things in a nuanced way in English. I don't want to sound arrogant... and prevent people from having fun or curb their creativity. :)

Last edited:

FlakMagnet

For me, I think colourised b&w photos, especially when it's done well and with respect to the subject matter, can be good, as I think it helps me appreciate and see the past through different eyes.

Where I find issue with colourisation is when it's done on iconic images, like Robert Capa's D-Day photos, or raising the flag in Iwo Jima, for example. I think those should be left alone and enjoyed as they are.

ausreenactor

For me, I think colourised b&w photos, especially when it's done well and with respect to the subject matter, can be good, as I think it helps me appreciate and see the past through different eyes.

Where I find issue with colourisation is when it's done on iconic images, like Robert Capa's D-Day photos, or raising the flag in Iwo Jima, for example. I think those should be left alone and enjoyed as they are.
Wasn't the Iwo Jima flag caught in colour. Was filmed in colour as well...

B-Man2

I came across this fascinating [colourised] photograph of what appears to be a US paratrooper wearing a British Denison Smock

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cea0AV-ONSF/

View attachment 85234
Cool photo !
Exchanges of clothing and battle dress happened quite often during the time that the US troops were in the UK preparing for DDay . I remember a story my dad told me about acquiring a British battle dress waist length jacket that he traded an M-42 jump jacket for. He said the jacket was warm and he wore it under his long woolen winter over coat during the cold winter of 1944 . He really liked that jacket and brought it home with him.

JonnyCrow

Cool photo !
Exchanges of clothing and battle dress happened quite often during the time that the US troops were in the UK preparing for DDay . I remember a story my dad told me about acquiring a British battle dress waist length jacket that he traded an M-42 jump jacket for. He said the jacket was warm and he wore it under his long woolen winter over coat during the cold winter of 1944 . He really liked that jacket and brought it home with him.
A hairy Mary Burt haha I wore one years ago as a younger reenactor, god help if it rubs against your skin, and you needed long underwear with the pants, when they got wet it was like a potato sack, no wonder they were called brown jobs

B-Man2

A hairy Mary Burt haha I wore one years ago as a younger reenactor, god help if it rubs against your skin, and you needed long underwear with the pants, when they got wet it was like a potato sack, no wonder they were called brown jobs
So would that smock in the photo be the 1st Version Smock or the 2nd Version ?