• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ralph Lauren, still at it..

Tim P

went to the RL outlet as I was passing anyway today and had to have an M41 jacket, lots of faded ink drawing and USS names on the back including a girl reminiscent of miss manookie, on the front a leather name plate and a twill patch with a swooping eagle, on the right arm an aaf patch in felt but with a stylised RL logo being a letter R. the shooting star on it is reminiscent of a 5th air force patch.
cotton lined and a paper clip style zip are of course inaccurate for a repro of an m41 but this is, after all is said and done a high st jacket. The insignia is all hokey but it has a great vintage look that I couldnt resist. the shell, buttons and construction details are up there with top end repros. details like a label inspired by the aaf experimental test laboratory make it quirky and appealing if a little kitsch.
For £135 I could have bought an a2 (with g1 style half belt) in a4 flight suit material and a faded out back painting but that I have to say lacked appeal.

Tim P

still having pic problems so not sure. have to say that the cloth a2 was mildly offensive to my sensibilities.

Doug C

TimP wrote:
have to say that the cloth a2 was mildly offensive to my sensibilities.

Hehe... I just bought a khaki colored RL A-2 off ebay for $17, I think it looks pretty cool actually, especially for the money. I've never been an A-2 person at all, but this one is a little less "cliche' " to me because of it not being leather. I plan to change out the tan knits for a medium rust brown or something, perhaps olive, you know just have fun with it...may even add a repro patch (ya'll stop hateing on me!) I suspect it'll go great with WWII khaki or HBT pants.

Doug C

johnwayne

Whilst I do like RL stuff, why pay that much when you can get a really nice repro M41 and patch it yourself - I did just that. Bought one off ebay from a guy in the US which I think he got it from 'At the Front' although they are available here - it cost me £40+post and I then added a 77th FS squadron patch which I bought years ago from Eastman (could never bring myself around to adding it my A2) and vintage 8th AF shoulder patch. I think it looks great - silmilar to those in the Maguire flight jacket books where I got the idea from in the first place!!

Wayne