• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ralph Edwards g1 DSA-1-9366 [44 size]

Erwin

A nice g1, as I remember a current owner had some questions about the jacket via the forum. Not a bad piece in 44 size.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Erwin

Looks like it has a couple of hickey’s on it, as well as the wrong knits .
Knits are different but not wrong, I have one early 60 [DSA-1-2071-63] which was not alternated and has heavy knits and had no seam on the sleeve edge. I got it from the USN aviator's family, will show you this later.

Erwin

These on this particular jacket can be replaced ones..... It would be nice to see stitches to determine if these knits were replaced or not. You can find genuine g1's with heavier knits [vertically stronger woven knits], but not all have "rib-rack" knits. On this contract [DSA-1-2071-63-C] you can also find a mix of heavier knits on sleeves and rib-rack ones on weist. Will post an example later. I hope you are capable to determine if knits are replaced or not, without seeing actual stitches ;)

A new topic would be better for sharing pictures and exchange of information.

Chandler

These on this particular jacket can be replaced ones..... It would be nice to see stitches to determine if these knits were replaced or not. You can find genuine g1's with heavier knits [vertically stronger woven knits], but not all have "rib-rack" knits. On this contract [DSA-1-2071-63-C] you can also find a mix of heavier knits on sleeves and rib-rack ones on weist. Will post an example later. I hope you are capable to determine if knits are replaced or not, without seeing actual stitches ;)

A new topic would be better for sharing pictures and exchange of information.
Follow the detailed specs in our highly researched sticky thread on Navy FJs.

Yes, in the early days there were rib-rack knits on the waist that turned to double thick (like A-2s) later on, but nothing like the knits on this example.

It was this jacket's hide that grabbed my eye.

BTW -- image 14 on the auction has good knit closeups -- and you can see off stitches and tighter pulls than what would be normal on originals.

Last edited:

Erwin

Yes, in the early days there were rib-rack knits on the waist that turned to double thick (like A-2s) later on, but nothing like the knits on this example.
It doesn't mean that this reference is 100% complete, I assume that to complete the contract manufacturers used whatever components they were able to use for fulfilling contract completion. That's why some aberrations can be found. I'm referring to owned jacket, not this one from beloved eBay.

B-Man2

It doesn't mean that this reference is 100% complete, I assume that to complete the contract manufacturers used whatever components they were able to use for fulfilling contract completion. That's why some aberrations can be found. I'm referring to owned jacket, not this one from beloved eBay.
Erwin
Why not post a photo of your knits and we can give you our opinions on wether or not they are original to the jacket.

Chandler

I'm referring to owned jacket, not this one from beloved eBay.
Understood -- and I was talking about the ebay jacket.

On top of the 3 AN/G-1 jackets I've owned myself.

As Burt says, we wouldn't make a call on something we haven't seen.