• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RAF WW2 Helmets

I've aquired some more bits and pieces to add the helmets I already have. I re-arranged some of the rigs to try and be period correct, and took these shots while trying to get to grips with my new camera.
I hope these pictures are of some interest, each has a brief description.

RAF Pre-War pattern helmet, fitted with Gosport tubes and Mk II goggles.
IMG_0147.jpg

Label
IMG_0113.jpg

RAF Type C helmet, 1st pattern, with Type G O2 mask and Mk IV goggles
IMG_0128.jpg

RAF Type E helmet 1st pattern, with Type E* O2 mask and Mk VI Polaroid Spectacles.
IMG_0156.jpg

RAF Type B helmet with 2nd pattern Mic carrier and Mk IVb goggles with flipsheild
IMG_0155.jpg

RNZAF Type B helmet with Mk VII goggles and wired with a hand held 10A/12540 mic
IMG_0154.jpg

RAF Type B helmet with Gosport tubes and Mk III goggles
IMG_0153.jpg

RNZAF Type B helmet with Gosport tubes and MK IIIa goggles
IMG_0152.jpg

RAF Type B helmet modified to take a Type G O2 mask and Mk VII goggles
IMG_0151.jpg

RAF Type B helmet with Type D O2 mask and Mk Va Spectacles
IMG_0150.jpg

Thanks for looking, Bevan.

dujardin

wowwwwwwwwwwwww

splendid

what a great collection, pure beautiesssssss

congrats

thanks for sharing
marcel

Bevan,

Question about one of your helmets. The first-pattern C-type.. do the goggle straps (front and back) snap one up/one down? I have heard that is a feature of the first pattern C, and I'm curious if true.

horseback leader said:
Bevan,

Question about one of your helmets. The first-pattern C-type.. do the goggle straps (front and back) snap one up/one down? I have heard that is a feature of the first pattern C, and I'm curious if true.

Yes, on this helmet at least they are 1 up, 1 down

Cheers, Bevan.

Andrew

Great collection Bevan, and the excellent consistent shots really help in documenting each setup- actually better than in Vintage Flying Helmets. This stuff always displays best on old wooden hat blocks, it's what I do too. I've tried using various alternatives but heads always appear decapitated whilst a block is purely giving form the helmet and compliments the vintage museum quality of the piece in form and colour.

Comments/ questions;
- Real MkII goggles- rare.
- You can see why the second set of sraps were ditched on the 1st pattern Type C, in the snapped position it would've been a pain trying to shift your goggles onto your forehead.
- NiceType E mask- rare mic, don't s'pose youve got á spare o2 hose for sale?
- Is the Mic carrier all original? Looks like new. What's the disc attached to the loom?
- I've often wondered about hand held mics, or just using the mic from a type G mask, surely it would have brained the pilot in the event of any manoeuvres.
- The wide padding Mk III goggles were RCAF issue weren't they?
- Great MkV specs, i've never seen anything like that before. Must be very rare.
- Type D O2 mask- so you got one after all? Good, I don't have to sell you one of mine now. The wool looks to be in great nic and not mothed. Well done.
- Does the last Type B have the dual Gosport and RT plastic holders in the ear cups (plastic stubs sticking out from the earcups)? At least it looks a bit like it. I have a Fleet Air Arm Type C which has these fitted orignal and complete with RT's, loom and gosports. It allowed crews (Coastal aircraft) to communicate wither over the radio or silently internally on gosports.

Excellent collection. I might post some of mine here too sometime.

Andrew said:
Great collection Bevan, and the excellent consistent shots really help in documenting each setup- actually better than in Vintage Flying Helmets. This stuff always displays best on old wooden hat blocks, it's what I do too. I've tried using various alternatives but heads always appear decapitated whilst a block is purely giving form the helmet and compliments the vintage museum quality of the piece in form and colour.

Comments/ questions;
- Real MkII goggles- rare.
- You can see why the second set of sraps were ditched on the 1st pattern Type C, in the snapped position it would've been a pain trying to shift your goggles onto your forehead.
- NiceType E mask- rare mic, don't s'pose youve got á spare o2 hose for sale?
- Is the Mic carrier all original? Looks like new. What's the disc attached to the loom?
- I've often wondered about hand held mics, or just using the mic from a type G mask, surely it would have brained the pilot in the event of any manoeuvres.
- The wide padding Mk III goggles were RCAF issue weren't they?
- Great MkV specs, i've never seen anything like that before. Must be very rare.
- Type D O2 mask- so you got one after all? Good, I don't have to sell you one of mine now. The wool looks to be in great nic and not mothed. Well done.
- Does the last Type B have the dual Gosport and RT plastic holders in the ear cups (plastic stubs sticking out from the earcups)? At least it looks a bit like it. I have a Fleet Air Arm Type C which has these fitted orignal and complete with RT's, loom and gosports. It allowed crews (Coastal aircraft) to communicate wither over the radio or silently internally on gosports.

Excellent collection. I might post some of mine here too sometime.

Thanks mate,

Some answers,

-Mk II's, rare in this condition, I'm hounded by mates but they are NFS
-Sorry, no spare O2 hose
-The mic carrier is Seftons repro with original mic, disc is one of Dads ID tags.
-MkIII goggles, these are the scarcer AM marked ones, clearly stamped 1940
-Mk V specs, theres a set on eBay at the moment with no strap, 700 quid BIN, Farnsworth has a pair without a strap for 485.
Type D o2 mask, yes I've got one, I need another, even if its a basket case.
Yes the last Type B is a Dual comms set up, when I get another set of tubes they'll be attached to the helmet.

I've got a mint Type G mask coming with loom and 10A/7063 receivers attached coming so I'll swap it out on the modified Type B helmet.

Cheers, Bevan.

Andrew

Some of mine;

RAF Type B with Type D O2 mask and MkIV goggles, c1940

DSC_0049.jpg

RAAF Type B with gosports and MkIIIa goggles. 1942

IMG_2958.jpg

RAF 2nd pattern Type C with Type G mask. I suspect this rig was used by USAAF as it came from a US Esate and it's painted. c1944

IMG_3647.jpg

IMG_2995.jpg

First pattern Type C with mkIIIa goggles- this now has a type E mask. c1942

P3130175.jpg

Fleet Air Arm Type C with MkVIII goggles, gosports and wiring loom and RT's. c1943

IMG_3636.jpg

2nd Pattern Type C, MkVIII goggles with Type H mask. c1945

IMG_3831.jpg

Andrew,

Nice pictures of some very nice rigs, I've got some more 'gems' on their way to NZ so will post updates when I can,

Cheers mate, Bevan.

philip.ed

Sorry to re-kindle an old topic but I just wanted to say that those are some great pictures, i'm really envious of your collections Brevan and Andrew.
Nice to see some familiar faces here too.
Brevan, that b-type with the mark-111 goggles look absolutely mint. Probably one of the best I've seen; and that d-mask looks great too; I could so with one in similar condition (if I could stomach the amount) :mrgreen:

dmar836

Beautiful stuff. Once again, I am nothing....and have nothing to contribute.
Keep 'em coming!
Dave
Kansas City, USA