• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RAF Type B helmet and D mask....

.....the latest addition to my small collection of early RAF flying helmets, this Type B helmet, D mask with Type 'E' carbon mic and MkIIIa goggles sits very nicely with those I already have.....circa 1939/40

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

Bevan

dujardin

splendid ''head''

congrats

it's in my project to have a ''head'' dedicated to the RAF
a day, i will get one

thanks for sharing your ''treasure''
marcel

This is the same mic before I cleaned it up....glad the seller didn't do it 'cause it would have cost me hundreds of pounds more..... :)

12108a1.jpg

Bevan

dmar836

Bevan,
Beautiful display and well photographed!
Can you share how you cleaned up the mic.
Thanks,
Dave
KC

philip.ed

Lovely set! That chamois cleaned up quite well.
How did you do it, may I ask? As I cleaned one of my mics up in the same way, but it cleaned up so well, the chamois went almost white! Does the chamois still feel soft, or is it similar to paper? I have been brooding re-chamoising the said mic, as I got another one with d-mask (albeit mothed) for £650! :mrgreen:

Very nice set. That mask is beautiful.

dmar836 said:
Bevan,
Beautiful display and well photographed!
Can you share how you cleaned up the mic.
Thanks,
Dave
KC

The chamois was quite dry before I started, like parchment...so I figured I had nothing to lose as I already had a quote for recovering it...I moistened the chamios and used MEK (methyl ethyl ketone ) and a glycerene type soap to remove the grime, then a weak solution of household bleach to lighten the chamois..

Bevan.

Andrew said:
Excellent, so you finally found one. Nice job on the mic.

'Drew.....it's my second D mask, the other has a Type 19 mask on it, previously posted here...now I need another D mask to mount the later Type 26 mic with the rubber Type 54 adapter that I have sitting here waiting

Bevan

philip.ed

You have a type-19 mic?! please post pictures :D

Great job on that mic. Weren't keen on buying the cleaner one which was 'only' about £30 more?

philip.ed said:
You have a type-19 mic?! please post pictures :D

Great job on that mic. Weren't keen on buying the cleaner one which was 'only' about £30 more?

Here you go......pictures of the mic as I bought it...and a couple of it as displayed......dunno what you mean about the cleaner one for 30 quid more?

IMG_1392.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

Bevan

philip.ed

Very nice. That is such a rare set, especially to find it with the seperate b-type-assembly-ear-pieces.
Did it set you back a lot of money...? That's a small fortune sitting right there.

Sorry, is the e-carbon mic that you purchased the one from Dave-Farnsworth's site? he had another one listed at the same time, where the chamois was very clean, but possibly re-covered. I'll need to get some photos of my set. It's not as nice as yours (as my mask is quite mothed) but it displays well ;)