• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RAAF CYMA wristwatch

TankBuster

Very interesting! It's kind of a cross between the WWW and the 6B/159. I have a huge reference book on WWII watches that just came out. I'll see if I can find anything in it.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Leadsky said:
Anyone know anything about these? Does CYMA stand for anything or is it the actual name?

Nice size, Andrew ... British army model 1940's. CYMA is a brand name for watches produced by the Tavannes company.

Andrew

Thanks Jeff and Dave. I reckon it's about the same size as the 6b and it appears to have fixed lugs like them too. I really like the seconds dial.
Dave, do you know any links to info about them and wouldn't the RAAF indicate Air Force?

A

Anonymous

1862 Schwab Brothers open a watch company which they name CYMA from French for Summit which in turn is derived from the Latin word Cyma
1892 a businessman from Le Locle, Frederick Henri Sandoz goes into partnership with the Schwab Brothers and they establish a factory in La Chaux-de-Fonds
1903 the company produces its famous extra slim pocket watch with lever movement; watch so precise that it is awarded the Chronometer Certificate
1910 Cyma produces 2500 watches per day
1915 cyma develops it's first waterproof watches
1923 Cyma becomes the biggest watch manufacturer in Switzerland
1943 it launches it's first automatic watch
2005 Cyma continues its long tradition of quality, perfection, precision and innovation
Cyma to its credit holds hundreds of patents. Since its inception Cyma has produced over 30 million watches worn worldwide. Cyma continues the tradition of being one of the finest Swiss watchmaker of today.
The British military have had a long tradition of using this companies products .

All the best Jeff

TankBuster

Cyma is a pretty well known mfg of WWII watches. I found it interesting that they made watches for the Allies (mostly the British) as well as the Germans.

TankBuster

Andrew,
As promised, I scoured my 800 page bible on military watches for the RAF, RAAF, RCAF, RNZAF, and came up empty handed. Yours most closely resembles the ATP watch produced early in the war for the Army, but there are definite differences. I would guess that your watch is a WWII period private purchase, that easily may have been used in the RAAF.
The reason I would guess this is the the AM always marked their casebacks.
Here's some pics. Hope they help!

009-3.jpg

6B/159

008-3.jpg

Navy Fleet Air

007-2.jpg

ATP

006-2.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Leadsky said:
Dave, do you know any links to info about them and wouldn't the RAAF indicate Air Force?

I'm so lazy, Andrew, that I didn't let the pictures load. Looking at the back, I agree with Jeff, that it's private purchase.

Regarding the company history .... Tavannes-Cyma ceased production in 1966, and the rights to the brand name passed to Chronos Holding.