• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on the "accuracy" topic.

watchmanjimg

dmar836 said:
Like David implied, there were some contracts with inset sleeves, larger bodies, etc. so the search for the "perfect" jacket is always just out of reach.
I have always wondered what I would have been issued in the day but many of us don't fit that mold as many of us with the modern "American body" would likely be rejected or relegated to other duties. Therefore, I prefer issued sizes that fit me best.
But I would buy whatever makes you want to wear it!

JMO,
Dave

Dave:

I totally agree with your shopping strategy, but I have my doubts that modern physiques are incompatible with the A-2. We had a similar discussion sometime last year and I posted the following comments. My remarks were only partially tongue-in-cheek:

watchmanjimg said:
According to statistics I've read, the average WW2 inductee was 5'8" tall and 144 lbs. with a 33 1/4" chest and 31" waist--a difference of 2 1/4". During my years in retail clothing sales I saw more than a few portly suits (and gentlemen). Whereas a typical suit generally comes with a "drop" (difference between chest and waist measurements) of six inches, a portly suit has a 2" drop. Based on the foregoing, WW2 A-2s should fit a modern man just fine. :lol: :lol: :lol:

While the typical WW2 recruit was younger and leaner than many of us, the simple fact remains that most of them did not have a drastic taper from chest to waist. Therefore, I think the major contrast between them and many modern men has more to do with the need for a larger indicated jacket size than any other factor. A broad-shouldered WW2 airman would have benefited just as much from a roomier contract as a modern guy, although the choice may not always have been available. We of course aren't subject to such constraints, but really the selection of the proper cut relative to numerical size is the way to nail an A-2 fit. I personally find that GW works best for me in this regard, and with a 42" chest and 32" waist I'm a tougher fit in an A-2 than most. Guys with less of a difference from chest to waist can probably wear A-2s from other makers a bit easier, but again this is an individual process.

Jeff, Geoff, and ButteMT61 made some excellent points as I was typing this post, and I suppose it should be noted that those with particular fitting requirements deserve to enjoy an A-2 too. At certain stages of life and/or body composition suspension of disbelief concerning the WW2 "look" is warranted . . . ;)

Atticus

ButteMT61 said:
AF - I agree. My question was about those who seem to diss jackets on the premise they're "not accurate" while having custom jackets. To be truly accurate, they wouldn't be.
I like the look too - which of course is why I'm buying what some purists consider a lesser Aero. I like Aero's products and the prices I think are reasonable for what you get. I'm not stuck on accurate so much, but the more I've learned, the closer I'd like to be without getting all in a bunch over it. I dumped all of my original WWII-styled jackets like Avirex, Schott, etc. for that reason. But I stop short of counting stitches and worrying about the minute details that keep my jacket(s) from being the most accurate. And my size means I have to concede to custom most of the time.
The only accurate jackets to me are ones that are ~70 years old :)

I understand what you are saying. Years ago, I used to preach that one should never buy a reproduction flight jacket of any kind because, no matter how accurate it may be, it could never be a real flight jacket. It might be a very deceptive impostor...but it would remain an impostor, nonetheless. Then I softened my opinion and began to preach that one should never buy a repro flight jacket of any kind unless an original flight jacket of that type and size didn't exist. I had to adopt this new opinion so that I could buy my Goodwear A-1. Then I softened my opinion a little more and began to preach that one should never buy a reproduction flight jacket of any kind unless an original of that kind and size wasn’t easily available. This new, new opinion allowed me to buy an Alpha Replica B-15C.

Now I've come full circle. Now I preach that a person should never buy a reproduction flight jacket of any kind unless its available and he likes it.

AF

A

Anonymous

AF - I agree. My question was about those who seem to diss jackets on the premise they're "not accurate" while having custom jackets. To be truly accurate, they wouldn't be.
You can have a custom jacket which is accurate. Originals varied enough (as I've said before Grasshopper) that one could choose to have a copy in the original proprtions which
tended toward the larger or smaller size you want. I" or more added to a sleeve doesn't necessarily compromise accuracy. Inaccuracy in certain details such as collar shape, seam allowances, leather reinforcing tabs, snap sizes and other trivialities however can add up and make even a 1300 British Pound jacket look like crap!

ButteMT61

watchmanjimg said:
[quote="dmar836"
...Jeff, Geoff, and ButteMT61 made some excellent points as I was typing this post, and I suppose it should be noted that those with particular fitting requirements deserve to enjoy an A-2 too. At certain stages of life and/or body composition suspension of disbelief concerning the WW2 "look" is warranted . . . ;)

I was there this time a year ago. I weighed 37 lbs more than today, and I lost an entire jacket size doing so.
Everything looks better (IMHO) and I'm happy I did it, but A2's do tend to hide a body in need of a tuneup :)
I did it for about three years with Avirex/Schott jackets. Now I can sport (once again) a better-fitting jacket.

watchmanjimg

ButteMT61 said:
watchmanjimg said:
[quote="dmar836"
...Jeff, Geoff, and ButteMT61 made some excellent points as I was typing this post, and I suppose it should be noted that those with particular fitting requirements deserve to enjoy an A-2 too. At certain stages of life and/or body composition suspension of disbelief concerning the WW2 "look" is warranted . . . ;)

I was there this time a year ago. I weighed 37 lbs more than today, and I lost an entire jacket size doing so.
Everything looks better (IMHO) and I'm happy I did it, but A2's do tend to hide a body in need of a tuneup :)
I did it for about three years with Avirex/Schott jackets. Now I can sport (once again) a better-fitting jacket.

Congratulations, and welcome aboard! :D

Corky

Uniforms always came from a variety of sources.

Brooks Brothers in New York always made custom uniforms, usually for officers who could afford them going back to the Civil War. I think George Custer had his uniforms made by Brooks Brothers. Think of Jack Kennedy as a young Navy officer -- where would he have got his dress uniforms made? Off the rack at at the local PX? Or would he have them custom tailored by his regular tailor at Brooks Brothers? Ditto for George Patton. And for the senior George Bush.

And I suspect well-off officers probably could afford to have their jackets made to order or at least custom fitted, as well.

I think "accuracy" can mean pretty much whatever one wants it to mean.

bretron

deeb7 said:
ButteMT61 said:
Given how repros can draw the ire of purists, how do we justify custom jackets as opposed to off the rack sizes? Wouldn't it be more accurate to get a jacket as close as possible with numbered sizing and deal with it? This is not in any way meant to be sarcastic - in spite of my tendency to do such things. I know for me, I really have to get lucky for an off the rack to fit right, but it kinda seems like cheating on the authentic aspect to order a custom-fitting jacket.

If we're talking about the A-2, my opinion is that you find one of the patterns that fit your body shape, and that's it. Sleeve length alterations are fine, other than that you size up if you need to.

I realise this opinion isn't shared by all, but long sizes are just wrong.

+1 all the way. When you got so many contracts to choose from, go with the best for the physique/build and leave the mods alone. If it helps, hike yer pants up a over your naval (jk, I don't recommend this look!)

And this coming from a guy that owns a BR MA1 in a long :lol:

Ian C

I hear what you're saying but regular lengths don't fit. You tend to go up a size and the length stays pretty much the same. At the risk of sounding a bit cavalier with authenticity-if I'm paying that money I want the bloody thing to fit so I'll buy a long size because I want to wear it. If I want outright authenticity I'll buy an original and keep it in the wardrobe because it won't fit.

I think the issue with MA1's is that they were cut short anyway as they were worn over a flight suit. On me with 501's they're like a bikini top and no I don't wear my jeans like a modern day rapper-I've just got a long torso.

markc

I'm of the view that it's my money and I want the darned thing to fit! I have two Aero jackets that are custom fit (1950s bomber and B-6). If I hadn't had them made to my size I would wear them less. Some may say that would be a good thing.

Cheers,