• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about M-1938 VS M-1941

a2jacketpatches

I believe M-41 & M-38 are collectors terms to differentiate the beginning and end of a development, it was actually a work in progress and many variations exist, field modifications, custom tailored, added shoulder straps, removed pocket flaps, etc. It started out in twill and ended up in poplin. Some may be in twill with poplin shoulder straps. The following explains a little more.

This first field jacket was based on a civilian jacket suggested by Major General James K. Parsons, for whom it was unofficially named.[1] The Olive Drab Cotton Field Jacket was standardized and adopted in June 1940 for use by all members of the US Army for wear with both the winter and summer service uniforms. Jackets of similar design were later also adopted by the Navy and Marine Corps.

Note that many individuals have referred to the OD cotton field jacket incorrectly as either the "M-1941" or "M-1938" (hence the title of this article). This designation is, however, false. The Army Quartermaster Corps, who developed clothing, used model numbers sparingly and only used them to differentiate two or more similar types of garments from one another. In 1940, there was only one field jacket, so there was no need to give it a model number.[2]

Tim P

I agree with the above. that said, what we accept as the M38 has pocket flaps and lacks shoulder straps as a rule of thumb whilst the 'M41' is the reverse. different button numbers on the take up tabs too I believe.

a2jacketpatches

Tim P said:
I agree with the above. that said, what we accept as the M38 has pocket flaps and lacks shoulder straps as a rule of thumb whilst the 'M41' is the reverse. different button numbers on the take up tabs too I believe.
I've seen quite a few over the years, lots of the Navy ones without the shoulder straps and even had one from the USMC with the clover 13 patch and leather name tag as a flight jacket. These jackets are very cool, always a favorite of mine.

Tim P

The navy type shares many similarities and were extensively used by the USAF with the USN obscured by a tape. They are greener than the Army type and lack eppaulettes but also the side gussets from shoulder to waist are simple tucks in the material rather than edged and over stitched. I am not sure whether they have take up tabs on the cuffs

Peter Graham

chitchat said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170733561630?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1952.l2649 I am going to buy this one , and another(not sure what MFG). I like the epps, and pocket flaps, original or not, I have owned Spearhead, B-10'S, and the wool A-1, and was pleasantly suprised at the quality. Peter thanks for the link, quite informative.
Looks like a decent jacket at a good price but the angle of the pocket flaps is way off, if that matters to you. They look pretty odd to me. Compare these photos of originals.

PARSONS1.jpg

PARSONS.jpg