• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about 70s Air Force jacket.

rgraham

Here are a couple of shots of a jacket for sale. Is this really a 70s Air Force jacket?
If so, what is a jacket like this worth?

It's being sold for $80.

Thanks.

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

watchmanjimg

It appears to be a legitimate 8279E MA-1, which would have been produced during the 1970s. $80 isn't an outrageously high price, but perhaps slightly high for this vintage.

Atticus

Yep. Pocket flaps. Aliminum alloy Scovill zipper. Its a 8279E. Almost certainly an Alpha. Made from 1970 or 1971 until 1975 or so.

If it is an XL, in pretty good condition, eighty bucks is a decent price. Smaller jackets would be worth less.

AF

rgraham

Atticus said:
Yep. Pocket flaps. Aliminum alloy Scovill zipper. Its a 8279E. Almost certainly an Alpha. Made from 1970 or 1971 until 1975 or so.

If it is an XL, in pretty good condition, eighty bucks is a decent price. Smaller jackets would be worth less.

AF

He says it's a large.

Thanks for the info gentlemen.

Atticus

The spec. tag is in the left, outside pocket. If you could see it, it would show the size, the DSA number, the manufacturer and the contract date. But I can tell you it is almost certainly an issued Alpha. The zippers are the key to my opinion.

Truthfully, the jacket appears to be in pretty good condition. The knits look fine, and they are almost always the first part of a nylon jacket to go. If it is a size large, and it is in good condition, eighty bucks might not be too bad of a price. You won't be stealing from the seller, but he won't be raping you, either.

Finally, E-series Alphas were very well-made, warm jackets. I think collectors don't get excited about them because quite a few were produced and they lack some of the charm of the older, A or B series grey-lined MA-1s from the fifties. But if you want a good, tough, warm, Vietnam-era flight jacket....E-series MA-1s are a good bet.

By the way, if that jacket is an early-seventies, Alpha MA-1 in size large, it is exactly like one that was given to me in 1976. That old MA-1 was my first real flight jacket and main reason why I love them so much now.

AF

rgraham

Atticus,

Thank you for all the great information. It is exactly what I was hoping to educate myself with. I'll let you know any further details.

rgraham

So I went and looked at the jacket, and it is indeed an Alpha. Made on March 24 1972.

As usual, the pictures looked nicer than the jacket itself, but not too bad. It does have some holes in the cuffs, and one on the collar, but all are hard to see. An almost invisible stain on one side under the arm. The inside looks like it was never worn.

I offered him $60 bucks, and he took it. He was happy, and I think I am too.

Again, thanks for the help.

watchmanjimg

Great score! $60 is a very fair price for such a jacket, and the stain will probably come out. Replacement cuffs are still plentiful and cheap, and a tailor will probably charge less than $20 to install them. Enjoy it!

rgraham

watchmanjimg said:
Great score! $60 is a very fair price for such a jacket, and the stain will probably come out. Replacement cuffs are still plentiful and cheap, and a tailor will probably charge less than $20 to install them. Enjoy it!

Wow, thank you for that. I'm sure this jacket is made better than the ones that they now sell. Where would one get a hold of the knits for one of these?

Oh, and although this is a large, it seems like the back of the jacket sits pretty high up at the bottom. Is this normal for the style?
The sleeves seem Ok in length.

Atticus

Yes, I agree with Jim. You have done very well for sixty dollars. I own, or have owned, four early-seventies E-series MA-1s, including my first one. I have two right now...and one of them has a 24 March, 1972 contract date. But mine is an XL. :oops:

MA-1s are short in the body. They were made to wear over a one-piece, high-waisted flight suit while sitting. But, in my opinion, they are the most comfortable, best-designed flight jackets ever issued by the military. They are damn warm; they have useful, warm pockets; they have comfortable, non-bulky collars; they don't bind anywhere; they have loads of gut room; they look great with jeans or khakis. Granted, they don't have the character of the leather jackets, but they make up for it in comfort and warmth.

I'll bet that, sometime next October, you will feel like this was the best sixty bucks you ever spent.

AF

rgraham

Atticus,

That is pretty amazing about that date. Kind words that make me feel good about the purchase as well.

Well, I'm 6-1 and weigh around 210, and I think it still fits pretty well. But, if you'd ever like to trade off your XL..............

dav3469

Wow, great buy. I had no idea MA-1 style jackets were as popular as the others out there. Great information to learn from here on the forums.

tgd31968

rgraham said:
watchmanjimg said:

Wow, thank you for that. I'm sure this jacket is made better than the ones that they now sell. Where would one get a hold of the knits for one of these?

Oh, and although this is a large, it seems like the back of the jacket sits pretty high up at the bottom. Is this normal for the style?
The sleeves seem Ok in length.
Yes, they run short for the reason stated. When wearing a one piece flight suit, it didn't matter, and it keeps the bunching up around your waist to a minimum while sitting. I had to go up to a large because of the back length on the medium being too short, and awfully shocking when the bare back hits the cold car seat....