• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Protech A-2 1987

442RCT

I recently acquired a Protech A-2 from E-bay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT
This brand was mentioned in the book "Hell Bent For Leather", I'd missed buying one about 6 months ago. The seller removed it less than 24 hours after he'd posted it on E-bay. This one came up and it was in the right size, maybe a little bigger than I wanted. I wear a sz 40 in an Eastman, and a sz 42 sleeves and body are usually a little too long. I decided to bid on it anyway, none usually notices because jackets are worn a little loose nowadays.

I was pleasantly surprised when I got it. It's marked sz 42, but it fits like a sz 41 short...which means it fits me pretty darn good, the sleeves and body are the exact right length and there's plenty of room in the shoulders. The jacket leather is seal brown goatskin, and about the same weight as a Cooper, not heavy, not light, which suits the temperate clime in which I live. All in all, if nothing more than that it fits great, I'm pretty happy with this repro..

High Iron

Good score. Looks like a nice jacket, and you can't beat the price. If nothing else you could use it as a reference when having someone make a higher end repro for you.

Mac

That looks like a pretty nice jacket. Collar hook and talon zip (albeit modern talon). After reading Hell-Bent for Leather, I wondered what some of the early repros, such as Protech, were like. Thanks for posting pic link.

Cheers,
Mac

442RCT

High Iron said:
Good score. Looks like a nice jacket, and you can't beat the price. If nothing else you could use it as a reference when having someone make a higher end repro for you.

:mrgreen: I already own three good repo A-2s, an Eastman, an Aero and a Real McCoy. I also own a custom made to measure A-2 from Korea which is a great fit, but not a very good copy of a US A-2. I'm not exactly a collector in the sense that I'm not all that picky and I'll pretty much buy any close copy of an A-2 or G-1. haven't counted, but I probably have acquired a couple dozen or more repro A-2s, some gawd-awful, some not so bad...I started acquiring A-2s before the really good repros became popular...heck, I used to think an Avirex was "THE" A-2 to own after reading "Cowboys of the Sky". I have 6 or 7 Avirexs with their mass produced silk screened nose art on the backs, and if I were to find more in my size, at a decent price, I'd still pick it up.