• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

President's A-2, are you bidding?

A

Anonymous

http://www.rrauction.com/Eisenhowers-Fo ... acket.html

Curious if his will beat MacArthur's

dwight-eisenhower-leather-jacket-1.jpg

Dwight-D-Eisenhowers-leat-001.jpg

3064380.jpg

Silver Surfer

anyone know of any pix of ike wearing his a-2? i cant say that i have seen any, or at least that i can remember. big coin item, that one.

A

Anonymous

Looking closely at the last pic, seems it's not the same jacket.

Butte I wish you become a wealthy man and order 100 BK jackets for yourself and your family.

Silver Surfer

sure looks like ike is wearing a cable, and thats what the jacket being auctioned is. the article said that the jac is being offered with provenance. if its deemed to be the real deal, the final bid will be in the stratosphere. im suprised that the jacket is not in the ike museum, smithsonian, etc, and just show now up after these many years.

Peter Graham

My eyes are not what they used to be but the jacket in the WW2 pic appears to have button cuffs. The epps also look much narrower than the ones on the auction jacket. Is that even Ike ?

Roughwear

I agree with Peter, it's not the same jacket. It's interesting to note the additional leather strips over the epaulets to house the rank insignia.

chamboid

That's what I noticed Andrew. The extra epaulette with the insignia on it. An interesting modification. In the last picture with the watch you can see what looks like more stars underneath the added strip?

The jacket he is wearing in the photograph though I don't believe is an A-2. Cables shaped pockets yes, but no Epaulette and buttoned cuffs, as Petwr said. I also think it has a bi-swing back?

I swear I've seen a photograph of him wearing one though, somewhere.

Peter Graham said:
My eyes are not what they used to be but the jacket in the WW2 pic appears to have button cuffs. The epps also look much narrower than the ones on the auction jacket. Is that even Ike ?
Good point, does not seem like it is Ike in that pic.

watchmanjimg

Roughwear said:
I agree with Peter, it's not the same jacket. It's interesting to note the additional leather strips over the epaulets to house the rank insignia.

I recall seeing pictures of Lucian Truscott in an A-2 style jacket with buttoned cuffs. Could this be him?

Robman

yes, I believe it is General Truscott greeting the 92nd Inf. Division IIRC, The Buffalo Soldiers I believe they were called. Anyway, it isn't Ike.

watchmanjimg

Peter Graham said:
No matter who it is in the photo, that button cuffed jacket looks smart.

Here are two quick cell-phone pics from Page 182 of Stanton's U.S. Army Uniforms of World War II:

Aside from the cuffs, Gen. Truscott's jacket appears to follow the A-2 pattern very closely.

watchmanjimg

Peter Graham said:
I don't think there's a knitted waistband Jim.

Right you are, Peter. Frankly I hadn't seen another picture of this jacket until the current thread came up, nor had I given it much thought. In any case I'll amend my earlier statement to say that aside from the cuffs and waistband, Gen. Truscott's jacket appears to follow the A-2 pattern very closely. Here's a nice, clear view: