• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-War Perry A-2 worth a look...

Dr H

Just to round it off - the Perry sold...and was promptly offered to me privately at the one of the upper bid prices...

In view of Andrew and Neh's comments about bidding up, it does looks a little ... er... unusual to say the least :? "To sell/reoffer once may be seen as unfortunate, to do so twice could be perceived as careless...."

I declined the top figure...now waiting for it to come on again a third time ... hopefully lower still :twisted:

Roughwear

Dr H said:
Just to round it off - the Perry sold...and was promptly offered to me privately at the one of the upper bid prices...

In view of Andrew and Neh's comments about bidding up, it does looks a little ... er... unusual to say the least :? "To sell/reoffer once may be seen as unfortunate, to do so twice could be perceived as careless...."

I declined the top figure...now waiting for it to come on again a third time ... hopefully lower still :twisted:

Interesting Ian. I wonder if this guy got a friend to bid it up so it was "sold" and as the next highest bidder he offered it you? The seller is devious judging by his handy work on bike jackets and I wouldn't put anything past him. If he puts it on again the same thing may well happen unless someone out bids the shil bid.

Dr H

Not even the underbidder this time Andrew, I heeded the comments made on the forum and stopped early...

I wonder how far down the list he went to offer it to me?!

Beginning to think the jacket is developing a real Jonah aspect...

Roughwear

Interesting Ian. Perhaps he persuaded all his family members to bid and you were next in the line? Serious collectors would be put off this jacket by the hype and its regular appearance on Ebay, asking themselves "why is it for sale again?"

Roughwear

havocpaul said:
I'm surprised he's not tried to sell Adolf Galland's Irvin suit yet!

He's apparently still working on installing an authentic YKK zip in the Irvin jacket before it goes on ebay.
:lol:

Roughwear

This jacket makes another appearance on Ebay Germany. Same seller, same honest claims. :roll: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Orig-Perry-A2-A-2 ... 0368767513

This is a very special A-2 flight jacket, which is made before WW2 (Pre-War <- ULTRASELDOM!)
Not 1942 contract!

This pre war A-2 has the additional collar stand (pls watch pics) made of horsehide , which only flight jackets of the pre war had.
Really?

This one is very rare! Original Conmar Pre war Zipper !
Wow!

And pre war full brass press buttons (early type), from producer "P C O C"and "United Carr" marked pre war buttons (both with form-type of buttons and producer type, typical for pre war jackets) - they are much smaller than other ones used in wartime(C-Spring).
You always learn new facts from this chap!

The horsehide is lighter brown (very nice colour!) and full anniline tanned. Not sprayed like other A-2´s.
Quite right!

This flight jacket was worn from a 8-ball Squadron Member (books available at Amazon!) –both patches of the Lt. and the mighty 8 were removed, and reinforced male end of zipper.
Of course the stitch holes weren't made recently.

This flight jacket was also worn by Luftwaffe Pilots as a lucky jacket.
Too true!

The bell shaped (Conmar) made of white metal. The war models are made of full brass and NOT white metal – with NO brass unter it.
Quite so!

This is a original A-2 horsehide flight jacket – lifetime guarantee – of made of period time
This means so much to me!

SUCH RARE A-2 NEVER SEEN HERE BEFORE ! VERY HARD TO FIND !
Perry A2s never come up for sale!

Dr H

Roughwear said:
This jacket makes another appearance on Ebay Germany. Same seller, same honest claims. :roll:/quote]

Same early bidding by the enigmatic i***o( 4 ) ;)

Dr H

That's some barefaced cheek, isn't it?! :shock: i***o(4 transactions) decides to bid up from $44 to $500 with a week to go - beginning to get a little impatient to sell perhaps?! :evil:

d***y( 43Feedback score is 10 to 49) US $510.22
18-Jun-09 16:37:05 BST

i***o( 4 ) US $500.22
16-Jun-09 02:48:51 BST

i***a( 8376Feedback score is 5,000 to 9,999) US $44.00
18-Jun-09 05:17:25 BST

o***v( 191Feedback score is 100 to 499) US $25.00
16-Jun-09 06:41:32 BST

a***n( 286Feedback score is 100 to 499) US $4.33
16-Jun-09 06:36:09 BST

2***h ( private ) US $2.00
16-Jun-09 02:04:30 BST

c***c( 421Feedback score is 100 to 499) US $1.00
15-Jun-09 21:25:57 BST

Starting Price US $1.00
15-Jun-09 03:30:00 BST

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Dr H said:
That's some barefaced cheek, isn't it?! :shock: i***o(4 transactions) decides to bid up from $44 to $500 with a week to go ...

Ian, it's just the eBay proxy bidding system at work. i***o has only made the one bid, his maximum shows now as someone else has bid higher.

Check the bid dates/times ....

Dr H

Doh! :oops:

You're right David - been watching too many episodes of the X Files recently, I'm beginning to see conspiracies everywhere on EBay :lol:

Roughwear

The high bidder may well be the seller using a different identity. He has revised his listing adding a picture of Major Heinz Bar wearing what he claims is a Perry A2. I have seen other pics of Bar wearing this captured A2 and the pocket flap seems too angular for a Perry. Anyway it does not prove the seller's A2 was ever worn by a Luftwaffe pilot.

Dr H

Finally sold for £435.26 (£539.48 last time around).

Towards the end of the auction the seller mailed me 'Hi - this jacket will sold in this auction finally so be fast', but I wouldn't entirely rule out another Ebay listing...

I take it all back - the Perry is now on its way to Japan apparently...with a copy of the pre-war contract ;)

Roughwear

Yes, its going to a well known japanese dealer who will sell it on. This guy is too discerning to add it to his collection.