• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre G-1 Navy Flight Jacket

Maverickson

This is an unusual photograph taken the morning of January 10, 1934. The aircraft is one of six Consolidated seaplanes that took off from Tiburon in the North San Fransico Bay area in route to Pearl Harbor, Hawaii and a then aviation worlds record for long distance flight over water. One of the flight crew, standing with the the anchor in hand, looks to be wearing a leather flight jacket. On close examination the air crewman's collar is raised and reveals that not unlike a G-1 it is fur lined.

7-5-2008-2.jpg

Sailors are seen fending off the motor whale boat from the USS Gannet, a seaplane tender, while skipper Lt Cmdr. Kneffler McGinnis hands that mornings newpapers to Cmdr.Marc Mitcher and soon to be distsributed upon arrival the next morning. A fuel tank and hand crank pump can be seen in the forward portion of the boat.

JFB

Maverickson said:
This is an unusual photograph taken the morning of January 10, 1934. The aircraft is one of six Consolidated seaplanes that took off of from Tiburon in the North San Fransico Bay area in route to Pearl Harbor, Hawaii and a then aviation worlds record for long distance flight over water. One of the flight crew, standing with the the anchor in hand, looks to be wearing a leather flight jacket. On close examination the air crewman's collar is raised and reveals that not unlike a G-1 it is fur lined.

7-5-2008-2.jpg

Sailors are seen fending off the motor whale boat from the USS Gannet, a seaplane tender, while skipper Lt Cmdr. Kneffler McGinnis hands that mornings newpapers to Cmdr.Marc Mitcher and soon to be distsributed upon arrival the next morning. A fuel tank and hand crank pump can be seen in the forward portion of the boat.

Please forgive me for my question, but was this picture "touched up" before your received it?

MikeyB-17

It's definitely been retouched, a fairly common practice I believe, but not done very well. I reckon I can see patch pockets on the front as well-it does look a lot like a G-1 style jacket-I think there would have been M-422/M-422a's around by 1934? 'Suit Up!'states 1930 as the contract date for both jackets, dunno how accurate that is.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
MikeyB-17 said:
think there would have been M-422/M-422a's around by 1934? 'Suit Up!'states 1930 as the contract date for both jackets, dunno how accurate that is.

I think it's misleading ... just the way they've done the chart.

Full Gear has the first contracts as 1940.

MikeyB-17

John's CD says the M-422 may date from 1940. I get the impression that the exact date these jackets were created isn't known exactly-but I have to say that does look like the Navy jackets we know in the photograph.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
MikeyB-17 said:
John's CD says the M-422 may date from 1940. I get the impression that the exact date these jackets were created isn't known exactly-but I have to say that does look like the Navy jackets we know in the photograph.

Mikey ... I'm looking at the chart with the M422, and M422A contracts dated from 1940 - 1943, and I think that John is correct.

Back in 1934 the Navy was still issuing the leather 37J1 (Navy A-1), with the button front. I'm still thinking flight suit, otherwise private purchase.

I improved the picture on my computer, and it looks like the zipper runs right down, but it's not clear, and I can't even tell if it's leather.

I like the mystery of the early Navy gear. Full Gear even has an 'Unknown Jacket' ... exactly like a B-3, but OD, alpaca lined, and with a mouton collar. The label is there, but too frayed, and worn to read.

Maverickson

John,

The photograph is an original. Because of how it was used, it has specific points outlined such as the propellers, as I see it, to enhanse detail. When held up to the light edges can be seen as indendations. As I understand it, some time following the flight the photo may have been used as a cover picture for an article in a Cleveland Ohio newspaper. On the back a caption read," mail and newspapers being loaded for Hawaii hop".

I obtained this photograph while purchasing a signed cover from this flight. This cover is signed by the same man, Kneffler McGinnis, handing the package to Marc Mitscher as seen in the photograph.

McGinnisCover.jpg

I really liked this photograph because, interestingly enough, both Mitscher and McGinnis were to become major players in the second world war. The most notable of the two charactors was Marc Mitscher as he was the skipper of the Hornet during the Doolittle Raid.

Dave

Maverickson

Hi all,

Just recently, I came upon a fairly good image of the termination point at Pearl Harbor of the this same air craft having the day before taken off from the San Fransico Bay area. As seen in this photograph is the skipper Kneffler McGinnis with his flight crew and welcoming party. Although now partially obscured with flower leis, it looks as though that same individual is present & again wearing that same leather flight jacket just prior to take off.

VB-10sArrivalAtPearlHarbor.jpg

This photograph was no surprise to me but so much for the idea that leather jackets were not being worn in the Pacific Theater during the War.

Cheers, Dave