• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Practicality of flight jackets in everyday life.

Enigma1938

...This AVI LTHR 'Bronco' is still one of my go-to's... For an A-2, its soft seal goat is light, robust, developing amazing grain and character...

Well, even I have other jackets from top tier makers, I have to say that my favorite all day beater from autumn to spring is my AVI LTHR G1. Easy to wear and robust as f... Also the goat developes great character and patina on this one.

London Cabbie

I love ALL my jackets, to the point I can’t decide which to wear or what’s my favourite. I’ve lucked out on sizing and would add you definitely get what you pay for. Some of the cheaper versions are great value, if you know what to look for. Forum has been great in that respect...

zoomer

I find A-1s more practical than A-2s, which I love but find more problematic in fit. There is an idealized vee shape to high end A-2s today, which does not suit me. I take 46/48, which is really out of normal size range, so there's always a tight spot, in a different place with every maker.

The A-1 with its knit collar and button front can function as a sort of cardigan, a good outer layer when it's cool or even a middle layer when cold (say with a wool car coat). There isn't such a standard fit - its looser, and capeskin is more forgiving. Pockets are spare but will hold a small phone such as my iPhone 5c.

I am also very keen on the naval equivalent, the cloth zip-up 37J1. It goes well under a leather barnstormer coat, with a light wool layer under the jacket in the cold. The difficulty is sizing. Traditionally they've been made only for the far east market.

In warmer months the 37J1 by itself is a good choice, as is the later naval summer issue, M-421.

Last edited:

busdrivermike

Practicality is such subjective thing it really comes down to mindset and various factors
Weather , activities and overall fashion work or casual.
For me currently just doing basically jeans and t-shirts on a daily basis yes they are.
My criteria’s are, can I layer underneath them, light sweater, leather shirt or heated motorcycle
Gear and still have comfortable range of motion, can I securely carry my cell phone or wallet etc....
why anyone would wear a jacket you can’t do this in is simply beyond my comprehension,
when looking at the majority of historical pictures I’ve seen most have room for doing this,
and living in Canada with its weather and riding a motorcycle this is also just common sense to me
My branded A2 has a great slim but yet relaxed fit with interior pocket that does all that , I’ll be forever grateful that
For reasons unknown branded were adding interior pockets to random jackets during their military contract
My G1 also by branded also meets all the criteria and it’s design allows for more comfortable movements
My schott 184 basically a civilian ANJ3 does all the G1 above but has the added benefits of a warm zip
In liner and tick removable fur collar so I don’t require layering till much colder
I’ve found my noble house b3 to be a great practical winter jacket, I’ve worn it now for 3 years daily during the winter
For weeks to months straight it’s not a closet queen it gets lots of wearing time so I’ve time to judge it.
it’s front attached pocket is perfect for The modern smartphone like my iPhone 11pro , it’s basically impossible to get cold in,
I’ve been out in -40 c temps with just a t-shirt good hat and gloves and collar done up and been very warm, one could say
It gets too warm indoors walking through a mall but so will any good winter parka.
A regular parka would offer me more pockets to place gloves and hat but in the city going from my car
To indoors I generally leave them on in my car so I’m willing to ignore that.
I doubt I would honestly own any of the jackets above if they weren’t practical as my dads
Ghost would swift kick me in the arse for doing that.
my thoughts on the everyday practical

P-47 thunderbolt

Hahah I've hiked in one.
It boils down to limiting choice.
If the A2 is all you have, then you've gotta wear it. I took one travelling NZ, wore it for everything. Put a raincoat over the top when needed.
Similar to the 40s - people didn't have the luxury of fleeces, down jackets, soft shells etc. They bought one jacket that would last as long as possible because most people couldn't afford multiples.
I think that's what makes the A2 cool is seeing it in impractical situations. Take all those photos of 8th airforce guys in winter with an A2 on top. Sure they'd all have preferred an alpaca lined parker but they didn't have one. Yes they would have been restricted in movement but they had no choice, warmth was the goal.
Plus wearing the A2 in all situations gets the patina and wear everyone is after.
If you're going away for the weekend, try just taking the A2. Then you have no choice.
I agree the G1 is more practical....but not so cool in my opinion

P-47 thunderbolt

It ended up like this. No knitting damage whatsoever. Stained collar - mostly from sun cream I think. But the liner didn't actually get stained.
Diamond Dave Aero
20220802_073131 (1).jpg

bbrfo

The MA-1 is decently practical for it's 4+1 pockets.
Most other nylon jackets are somewhat practical for their 2+1 pockets.
The A-2 is useless as far as practicality goes. The pockets can't hold anything beyond my passport.
even the front pockets of an MA1 look bulgey and silly with anything more than a slim wallet in them. i only use them to put my hands in when walking around. who needs all these pockets anyway when you could be carrying a lovely bag?

DylanDog

G-1 all the way. Perhaps that’s why I have 4 of them
Agreed. With one exception my Cooper G-1 gets far more wear than all my other military jackets put together.
As has previously been said the one possible drawback being the fur collar in warmer weather, which is why I’ve been considering an ANJ-3 from AVI. This would appear to combine the best of an A-2 and a G-1.

And although certainly not a flight jacket the one exception is probably the most practical and wearable of all the coats and jackets I have, an M-65 with removable insulated liner.
I’d pass up all my others before I could get rid of the M-65.

dbtk44

G1 is perfect for me in multiple, everyday situations...I throw it on when I run to the grocery store, perfect as motorcycle jacket (I wear it when i ride about 75% of the time), i can wear a fleece or sweatshirt under it should the weather pattern dictate layering, and by itself its the perfect windbreaker...just a good, tough, comfortable jacket for about any outdoor excursion if its jacket weather. I love my A2, but the G1 just seems to work better in every situation, for me.
I've found that, since having a mouton/dynol collar against my neck, bare leather collars kinda bother me a little bit when its zipped up full now. 1st world problems..lol

Stravaiger

My tuppence worth on Aviator jackets in everyday use….or not , living happily enough as they do the cosseted life of a wardrobe queen. WHIT??No for me that , not now. I have given plenty jackets that life and now reflect that it was not what they were made for!! I believe now I just wasted them ,kinda like driving my M3 AT 30MPH which I do not btw,aye that kind of waste. .My most worn now , near enough daily is my Aero ANJ4, living as I do in Scotland means it gets wet from time to time.Most of this wear is ‘piloting’ one of my motorcycles.It looks well,aged now and it just gets better and better…to my eyes….as a result. I bought it oversized to fit over bulky armour.The big pockets take plenty bits n bobs .The sleeves are well long enough to manage big ape hanger bars and the back is long enough to stop most drafts.What is no to love about this EVERYDAY all,year round sheep JACKET???

B-Man2

My tuppence worth on Aviator jackets in everyday use….or not , living happily enough as they do the cosseted life of a wardrobe queen. WHIT??No for me that , not now. I have given plenty jackets that life and now reflect that it was not what they were made for!! I believe now I just wasted them ,kinda like driving my M3 AT 30MPH which I do not btw,aye that kind of waste. .My most worn now , near enough daily is my Aero ANJ4, living as I do in Scotland means it gets wet from time to time.Most of this wear is ‘piloting’ one of my motorcycles.It looks well,aged now and it just gets better and better…to my eyes….as a result. I bought it oversized to fit over bulky armour.The big pockets take plenty bits n bobs .The sleeves are well long enough to manage big ape hanger bars and the back is long enough to stop most drafts.What is no to love about this EVERYDAY all,year round sheep JACKET???
After that description of your jacket please do post some photos of it . It sounds pretty cool looking .

CBI

been thinking about sizing/practicality as of late. I kinda like the more trim fitting look on me BUT most uncomfortable. Restrictive Impractical Would love to decide on sizing/fit so I can have just one A-2 and be done with it. This is after decades in this hobby! Funny, but less fit issues with originals in my experience.

B-Man2

been thinking about sizing/practicality as of late. I kinda like the more trim fitting look on me BUT most uncomfortable. Restrictive Impractical Would love to decide on sizing/fit so I can have just one A-2 and be done with it. This is after decades in this hobby! Funny, but less fit issues with originals in my experience.
John
I agree with you on the sizing thing .
After years of wearing A2’s so that I could only wear a T shirt under them ., I’ve moved on to a more realistic approach . I’ve sold off some of my tight fitting size 46s jackets and now I’ve gone up one size to 48s . I find them more comfortable, not as binding across the back and over all more enjoyable to wear. If I want a trim fitting look I wear a thick shirt or a C-2 under it . Ironically the difference in the over all look isn’t really noticeable .

Last edited:

bebel

I was wearing a 7823A G-1 this week to go to work. Some colleagues who were intrigued by the jacket asked me when it was made. When I replied to them that my G-1 was from 1958/1960, they were speechless... :)
The G-1 and the WEP jacket were also very suitable in the narrow cockpit of my Westfield sportcar! :cool:

jonitsi

I also find the G-1 format very practical for everyday use.

The only drawback for me with a slight layering compatible sized A2 is the lack of useful pockets. I dislike having things in my trouser pockets so a satchel is basically necessary with it. Took a while to find one that matched the jacket but did not look too costumey, but a Barbour cartridge bag fits the bill.

Members online

Latest posts