• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possibly 1930's or earlier jacket

Casper

Any information greatly appreciated. The wrist press-studs have Carr Cast Australia stamped on the inside of them

Casper

I hope I have done this right

Attachments

• IMG_20200118_134151.jpg
    IMG_20200118_134151.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20200118_134447.jpg
    IMG_20200118_134447.jpg
    9 MB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20200118_134518.jpg
    IMG_20200118_134518.jpg
    9.5 MB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20200118_154909.jpg
    IMG_20200118_154909.jpg
    8.9 MB · Views: 150

Technonut2112

I'm fairly certain the Lightning zip dates to around the mid-late 1930's. I researched a jacket I own with a similar style of puller as your pic shows.. Catalog pages I dug up from that jacket's maker placed it in the same time period as these Lightning adverts from the mid 1930's:

EDIT: I just noticed your other post, and that you have already found my other posts showing this same info regarding the zipper. Many different jacket manufacturers used Lightning zips, so it's difficult to say exactly where yours was made without a tag or other info.

Im193604CTCG-BOE.jpg

Im19360701Cy-Li.jpg

Last edited:

Casper

I'm fairly certain the Lightning zip dates to around the mid-late 1930's. I researched a jacket I own with a similar style of puller as your pic shows.. Catalog pages I dug up from that jacket's maker placed it in the same time period as these Lightning adverts from the mid 1930's:

EDIT: I just noticed your other post, and that you have already found my other posts showing this same info regarding the zipper. Many different jacket manufacturers used Lightning zips, so it's difficult to say exactly where yours was made without a tag or other info.

View attachment 30698

View attachment 30699
Thank you for replying to my thread. I am in Australia which throws me a little bit seeing how was possibly a Swedish dip sent here nearly 100 years ago. The only other identifying marks on the jacket are stamped into the press studs on the cops around the wrist and it above the zipper. It is stamped with "Carr Cast Australia". Sort of tells me probably made in Australia but can't find any information. The only other thing on it is the eagle badge but I can't find anything on that either. Thank you for your time Casper

Nnatalie

The Lightning Fasteners company was based in Birmingham, England, but exported zips to places such as the US, Sweden, presumably Australia, etc. Founded in 1925. https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Lightning_Fasteners

I found an example of a women's leather jacket being advertised in an Aussie newspaper with a lightning zip in 1933, so we know that they were definitely around in Australia by then (though your jacket could still have been made elsewhere). http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article237069592

I'm guessing that the press studs are made by an Australian branch or affiliate of United-Carr, who made press studs for some of the A-2s, but I don't want to assume for sure.

Is the eagle badge made of leather or metal? And is it permanently attached, or removable like a pin/brooch?

Spitfireace

The Lightning Fasteners company was based in Birmingham, England, but exported zips to places such as the US, Sweden, presumably Australia, etc. Founded in 1925. https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Lightning_Fasteners

I found an example of a women's leather jacket being advertised in an Aussie newspaper with a lightning zip in 1933, so we know that they were definitely around in Australia by then (though your jacket could still have been made elsewhere). http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article237069592

I'm guessing that the press studs are made by an Australian branch or affiliate of United-Carr, who made press studs for some of the A-2s, but I don't want to assume for sure.

Is the eagle badge made of leather or metal? And is it permanently attached, or removable like a pin/brooch?
Don't forget Canada.

Casper

The Eagle badge on it is made of what looks like brass. On the back is a small fixed Bolt and nut. One other thing I have noticed there is no label or anywhere I can see that there was one at any stage. The press studs on the wrist have "Carr Cast Australia" stamped inside them in very tiny print, needed magnifying glass to read it.

Nnatalie

Pretty sure it is" Carr Cast Australia"

Probably still made by the same company, but wanting to emphasize that the snaps were cast in Australia. So agreeing with your original guess that the jacket was likely made there.

Casper

This probably won't help at all but on the back is a print with what looks like HRD and possibly a devil's head or something like that. but that was probably added later. my father got the jacket in about 1950 so the print was added before that . =full]30743[/

Attachments

• IMG_20200119_015107.jpg
    IMG_20200119_015107.jpg
    8.9 MB · Views: 134

Spitfireace

Just saying Lightning as a brand was used in Canada. Might have even had a factory here. I have a jacket that originally had a Lightning zip. I guess major jacket hardware companies had localized factories. I have a CWU-36 that has a YKK zip, it's made in Georgia USA. So YKK set up a factory to supply US military contract.

Casper

There was a lot of car clubs and motorbike clubs starting up around then after World War 2 in Melbourne. that is what I guess the print is associated with.

Nnatalie

Lightning definitely seems to have been prominent in Canada. I looked into it a bit more, and I spoke incorrectly in my first post. The Lightning Fastener Company seems to have actually been founded in St. Catharines, Ontario. My bad!

I'd be interested in hearing from someone with more knowledge on motorcycle jacket art. There was a Vincent HRD motorcycle company, but I don't know what the chances of jacket art referencing a motorcycle company are...Very much outside of my wheelhouse

Casper

Nnatalie thank you for all the information you have given me. I am going to try and get some sleep right now it's nearly 2:30 a.m. Sunday here. When I wake up I will come straight back and check any more information that you have given me thank you for now

Casper

Good morning everybody, once again thank you for your information last night. Micawber is there any more information you have on the brass eagle, anything you might know I would be very handy thank you.

Garylafortuna

Some motorcycle companies use a similar eagle symbol, like Moto Guzzi for example. Just a stab in the dark.

Last edited: