• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Posing

A

Anonymous

Posing. i.e to dress up and strut about. In public or in private. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. Why else would we buy these jackets, boots, hats etc ? Why else would we wear mirrors out faster than our wives, G/F's etc ? :oops:

BUT.........................

What is it with the hand-on-hip thing ? THAT I don't get. If 'The Look' is so important, why is the standard jacket showing off pose most commonly found the hand-on-hip one ? Could someone please give me documentary proof that this was an official, regulation USAAF pose coz I shewer ain't sin it in period photos ? Is it supposed to show off the jacket to best effect coz it don't do no favours for the wearer ? "Suits you sir". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave :ugeek:

zoomer

What was considered a military bearing, and/or a manly pose, changes over time. WW2 servicemen - airmen in particular! - were much less stiff-looking than those today.

To show a jacket off in pictures, I like to fold my arms in back of me ("at ease soldier").

Another thing not often done back in the day was the wide-leg, stick-up-yer-@$$ stance.

rich

Does the pilot in Stu's avatar count? I seem to remember Superman did that pose a lot, maybe it's just taken on another meaning over time?

300px-Superman_v1_53.jpg

Andrew

JACKET_ HEAD said:

What is it with the hand-on-hip thing ? THAT I don't get. If 'The Look' is so important, why is the standard jacket showing off pose most commonly found the hand-on-hip one ? Could someone please give me documentary proof that this was an official, regulation USAAF pose coz I shewer ain't sin it in period photos ? Is it supposed to show off the jacket to best effect coz it don't do no favours for the wearer ? "Suits you sir". :lol: :lol: :lol:

This sounds like one of those "just got back from the Pub" posts- i've done them before.

If we're lucky Hacker will post his ultimate Man hand on hip shot from Korea- that usually sorts out this topic.

There is an obvious reason for doing it when posting jacket shots, it means that the cuffs actually get into the picture around the same latitude as the waist, not the nether regions. I'm not a real fan of it either but i'd rather that than all the periferals that are otherwise included.

And just because you mentioned it here's one again ;)

P4050104.jpg

srivats

I dislike the hip-on-hip pose, I find it artificial to stand like that for a picture. I usually am in my i-look-pissed pose (ramrod straight, arms on the side) or my 'relaxed' pose (hands folded behind back, less than ramrod straight) in most of my pics ... which ofcourse leads to the inevitable comment of 'stand-at-ease' whenever I show pics to friends :lol:

here is an example:
viewtopic.php?p=31527#p31527

better duck

Leadsky said:

Well, apart from photos of this stance from "real life", this picture of Andrew here shows an advantage of this way of posing for the camera for us jacketlovers: it shows quite well how the jacket drapes under the sleeves at the side of the torso. In this picture for example, you can see the jacket body looks quite roomy, the sleeve holes look quite narrow: information that would have been harder to see, if the arms of the "model" were kept at the side of the body or in the "at ease" stance.

ausreenactor

In the Aussie Army you are derided and asked if you are pregnant!! For only pregnant women need to
place the hands on the hips!

Couchy

A

Anonymous

The tongue-in-cheek point I was making was that for a lot of us, we like to think we look good in our jackets. Or perhaps that our jackets make us look good / better. But in order to make the jackets look good on the forum, we are leaving behind a load of photos that do us no favours.

Couchy, you got it spot-on, your photos on the Nylon section look cracking. But those can only be done whilst fully kitted out as you have done. Just as with WSO. Perhaps hands-on-hips should only be done anonymously / in decapitated mode ???? ;)

hacker

Leadsky said:
JACKET_ HEAD said:

This sounds like one of those "just got back from the Pub" posts- i've done them before.

If we're lucky Hacker will post his ultimate Man hand on hip shot from Korea- that usually sorts out this topic.

IMGP1501.jpg

as requested ;)

A

Anonymous

THAT ain't no hand-on-hip that I ever plum done seen folks. His hip must've dropped several inches from where mine are. Perhaps he's come out of a high G dive :D

Dave