• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

please help identify this coat

India son

Can anyone identify this jacket? Mid length, belted. Made for a liner that is long missing, Multiple types of buttons.

I belonged to my father who was stationed in NE India in WW2. He was a part of ground crew of some type.
no markings I can find and not sure it is military. No idea of when or how he got it.

he also had a set of shearling pants, possibly from a bomber crew, but they are long gone.

Attachments

• jacket.jpg
    jacket.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 66
  • jacket2.jpg
    jacket2.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 65

mulceber

It looks similar to the types of coats worn in WW1, at least to my eye. Probably some sort of private purchase jacket, maybe sold or given to him by a vet of the previous war? That's the only thing that comes to mind for me. Definitely worth keeping in good shape. Some leather dressing, even just Vaseline would be help (applied very sparingly).

Smithy

It is a private purchase British flying coat dating from mid WWI. There were two main patterns of these commercially available leather coats available at the time - a double breasted pattern and this with the wrap over front which was highly sought after, even by Central Power aviators. Despite what you may hear, these were never issued although they were widely used by RFC fliers. The lining is obviously a camel coloured blanket type lining - on high end versions of these (such as those made by Dunhill) this is actually made from camel hair. Without a label it is difficult to name a maker but if I had to I think there's a good possibility that it was made by Gamages based on the map pocket size pattern, and the buttons.

Hope that helps

PS - It's not American :)

India son

thanks Smithy, are there any reproductions made now?
from the South Beach website I went to the Early Years Gallery at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force website, which has this picture.

Attachments

• Coat .jpg
    Coat .jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 51

Smithy

Btw please do NOT fold it. It should be stored on a mannequin or if not in an acid-free cardboard box with acid-free paper bunched and placed in the arms and body so that it doesn't lie completely flat. Ask your local museum for the box and paper. They may charge you for it (at the aviation museum I worked for we often gave them away).

mulceber

Btw please do NOT fold it. It should be stored on a mannequin or if not in an acid-free cardboard box with acid-free paper bunched and placed in the arms and body so that it doesn't lie completely flat. Ask your local museum for the box and paper. They may charge you for it (at the aviation museum I worked for we often gave them away).
Best practice right there. Either way, get it off that hanger!:)

Smithy

thanks Smithy, are there any reproductions made now?
from the South Beach website I went to the Early Years Gallery at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force website, which has this picture.

Americans often purchased British flying coats and kit so hence why you'll see them wearing them. The Americans had their own issue flying coat, made from heavy cloth.

Smithy

Yup Jan. It's as close as you'll probably get as I know of no-one else making something so similar.

Originals were chrome tanned (in British parlance of the time - "chromed leather") cowhide.

History Bunker are interesting as they used to offer the second iteration of the actual RFC issued flying coat which was released in 1913, which was truly bizarre. I've never seen anyone offer a repro of either the 1st or 2nd versions because to say it was leftfield is an exaggeration. They were seldom seen even after 1914.