• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Platon's J.A. Dubow A-2 Jacket sizing questions

jwamznalx

Hey guys,

I noticed that there is a Platon's J.A. Dubow A-2 which has reasonable price and good quality, and lots of people here discussed that. I'm considering to buy a jacket but not sure what size I need.

For myself, I'm 5'11'', 200 lb with a 42.5 inch chest. Usually I would wear a size 40 or M Commercial or Civilian version A-2 jacket and it perfectly suits me. But for WW2 repro jacket I had a hard time to find a good size. Last month, I purchased a Bronco A-2 jacket of AVI leather, size of 44 (pit to pit is 57 cm or 22.5 inch, shoulder is 48 cm or 18.9 inch), and it just too tight on my chest area and finally I returned it. But the G-1 jacket of AVI leather, size of 44 (pit to pit is 57 cm or 22.5 inch, shoulderis 51 cm or 20 inch) suited me well although still a little bit tight on chest area. I think 46 size of Bronco A-2 might suit me, which has pit to pit of 59 cm or 23.3 inch and shoulder of 49 cm or 19.3 inch.

For Platon's J.A. Dubow, I can see it has the size chart like below:
1701721865280.png

Compared to AVI leather Bronco A-2, the Platon's J.A. Dubow has wider chest but narrow shoulders. For the same size 44, AVI leather Bronco has 22.5 inch of pit to pit chest, while Platon JA Dubow has 23.5 inch of pit to pit. But AVI leather Bronco has almost 19 inch of shoulder, while Platon JA Dubow has only18.5 inch of shoulder.

It also has recommendation sizing:
1701722209097.png

Turns out that, it recommended if my chest size is 108 cm or 42.5 inch, I probably order the size of 44 of its jacket.

I have a few questions on Platon's J.A. Dubow A-2 sizing though before I purchase its 44 A-2 jacket.

1. How is the Platon's J.A. Dubow sizing? Is it more of relaxed big fit or more of slim small fit?
  2. Is the sizing chart of Platon's J.A. Dubow accurate? Since based on the sizing chart provided above, size 44 of its jacket has 23.5 inch of pit to pit and 18.5 inch of shoulder. But when I went through the forum, I found other's Platon J.A. Dubow have different sizing. For example, according to this thread (https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/platons-j-a-dubow-27798-size-44-from-greece.21364/), the shoulder sizing of 44 A-2 is only 17.5 inch. And according to this thread (https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/j-a-dubow-mfg-platon-a-2-for-sale-size-46-seal.29709/), the chest sizing of 46 A-2 is only 23.5 (which should have been the chest of 44) and shoulder sizing of 46 is 21.5 (which is not 19 as pictured shown). I was confused so want to reach out to yo guys about how accurate is the Platon's A-2. Maybe sharing some experience if you ever purchased its jacket.
  3. Which size of Platon's J.A. Dubow should I purchase? 44 or 46?

I also want to provide more context about my own sizing details. I have a Commercial version of A-2, made by San Diego Leather Jacket Factory and the size is 40. It's deerskin version, perfectly suited, and I feel really comfortable with it. No limit of any kind of arms or upper body movement. Here are some picture of my own A-2 jacket and the sizing of it. But again this is not WW2 repro version, but a Civilian modern version, and the leather is deerskin not horsehide. So the style might be different but just want to give some context.

size of my own A-2 deerskin:
pit to pit front: 61 cm / 24 inch
pit to pit back: 63 cm / 24.8 inch
shoulder: 47 cm / 18.5 inch
arm without knit: 62 cm / 24.4 inch
back without knit: 57 cm / 22.4 inch
1701723147673.jpg
1701723181924.jpg
1701723218262.jpg

1701723329092.jpg
1701723341519.jpg
1701723393186.jpg
1701723535614.jpg

Thanks for everyone if you have any ideas. And hope you have a great holiday season!

Attachments

• 1701723274694.jpg
    1701723274694.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

jwamznalx

Agree with the above, 46
Im a trim 5'10 with a 40" chest and wear a 42

These are/ were fantastic jackets, I absolutely love mine. And it compares very well to my other top end A-2s.

But... I dont think they are taking orders, or even in business anymore.
That’s really bad…

Do we have any recommendations alternatives in this price level?

Pa12

I’ve had 2. Beautiful jackets but I was never happy with the fit. I’m 5’10”, 180 lbs, 43 “chest. Bought a used 44. Definitely too tight. Ordered a brand new 46(biggest offered). A bit better but “just”fit and a bit short. I take a 46 in Elc, 44 in a suit and 44 in a Goodwear.

jwamznalx

I’ve had 2. Beautiful jackets but I was never happy with the fit. I’m 5’10”, 180 lbs, 43 “chest. Bought a used 44. Definitely too tight. Ordered a brand new 46(biggest offered). A bit better but “just”fit and a bit short. I take a 46 in Elc, 44 in a suit and 44 in a Goodwear.
Thanks. I think I'm kind of little bit slimer than you, that would probably make this 46 size of jacket suit me better. considering I only have 42.5 chest.

But sadly, according to guys above, they are no longer doing the business anymore.

Pa12

I wondered that. Shortly after I ordered they stopped taking orders. But with your height you mace found it a bit short anyways.

Pa12

Sorry, fat fingers. I meant your height. Was probably at least a year ago they suspended new orders.

Pa12

The other guys will know better than me about that. Interestingly when I sold my 46 Platon with measurements, another member noted his 44 had the identical measurements. Not sure what was going on there.

Brettafett

Decent secondhand jackets are available, and I'd ask the guys on the forum as your first, best bet.
I recon you're looking at size 46 in most decent original maker A-2s

Check measurements and condition carefully. You could get lucky and find an immaculate jacket.
Replacing knits, zippers and lining can be costly. If you look elsewhere and find something you like the look of, feel free to ask for input here. Sometimes guys can spot things...

If you want a new jacket... Easy
Headwind Mfg, or AVI Leather (Headwind appears to have slightly better detailing and materials imo)
No better options for a jacket with authentic-ish WW2 jacket detailing and patterns, at this price point!

Depending where in the world you are.
Both HW and AVI's jackets are returnable if they dont fit (you pay return postage).
Both have options, different contracts, colours etc. Both very helpful!