• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pilots, Mechanics and Machines (and some jackets!)

oose

Hi all,

I love these group shots of pilots and there ground crew...

Page1-1.jpg

Page1a-1.jpg

Page1b.jpg

Page1c-1.jpg

Page1d.jpg

Page1e.jpg

Page1v.jpg

Page1f.jpg

Page1g.jpg

Page1j.jpg

Page1k.jpg

Page1m-1.jpg

Page1n.jpg

Page1p.jpg

Page1q.jpg

Page2a.jpg

Page2b.jpg

Page2c.jpg

yours stu

dujardin

many thanks,

there are some interesting details on those photos of good quality.

byeeeeeeeeee marcel

oose

Hi all,

color photo of 77th FS A-2 jacket..."Lt. Leonard W Papuzynski. Linden, NJ. 77th Fighter Squadron. P-51D 44-72219 LC-U "Rose Glori". Nice shot of Lt. Papuzynski's A2 jacket with insignia."

pappa22.jpg

There are a couple of guys with "Elmer Fudd hat" on must find out it eastmann can stock some this winter! ;)

yours stu

Cliff

Thanks for those. There were some really nice "weathered" B3s there and was that an ANJ4 I spotted towards the end ?? :)

T-Bolt

zoomer,

I enlarged the photo in an attempt to clarify the label information and was somewhat successful. I am thinking maybe it is a 16159 contract. Even though the front panels of the jacket look a lot like goatskin, I think the overall appearance looks like it could be horsehide. The horsehide 16159 jacket on Acme Depot has areas on the front that also look somewhat like goat.

Anyway, I thought that the 16159 is a possibility.

Ted

havocpaul

Great pics, interesting to see flight jackets worn by the groundcrew, we seem to asume that all flight jackets were 'flown' whereas it is clear just as many were issued/obtained by 'erks'.

oose

Hi,
Nothing wrong with 'erks', I have to say that I come from a long line of distinguished 'erks' my great-grandfather being a Sgt. Carter, a Fitter(carpenter) in No. 60sqd RFC,(1915-1920) still got all his saws and whatnot, sadly no jackets were issued! ;)

Yours stu