• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pics/Review WWII Impressions Tanker

269sqnhudson

I just received my two WWII Imp Tankers and I am very impressed. Better colour and weight of twill than the last lot, definitely, and it now has bartacked pockets (small thing I know but drove me nuts about the older ones not having bartacks).
Also perhaps the biggest single plus for me is the quality of the stitching; heavy gauge cotton thread and really good tight stitches.

I have had Buzz Ricksons and ATF Tankers and the previous run of WWII Imp and these are better than all of them both from a practical point of view and, I believe, an accuracy point of view. Better than a Buzz? I hear you ask...Well yes actually, here's why:
I'm 6'0 and a Buzz in a 44 is an inch and a half too short which seems a bit odd.
Also, despite HPA's site blurb the Buzz tanker does NOT have a WWII Conmar zip but a modern repro on synthetic zip tape marked 'conmatic'. The WII Imp also has a modern repro, a Talon, but it is a much cheaper jacket!
The twill on the Buzz jackets is, on close inspection, quite loosely woven and tends to fray very easily. The weave on the WWII Imp seams tighter but it's still a similar weight fabric, not as heavy as their last run and tends to sit better if you know what I mean.
Lastly the knits on the WWII Imp are a lot tighter and the cuffs are the proper length (quite long) unlike the Buzz and its short baggy knits.

All in all 9.5/10 for the WWII Impressions 2012 tanker. The half point is lost as the zip, while decent and very good quality, isn't a great WWII repro. Also there's too much junk sewn in the pocket (see pic)

DSCN27831024x7682800x600.jpg

DSCN2795800x600.jpg

DSCN2788800x600.jpg

DSCN2784800x600.jpg

DSCN2791800x600.jpg

DSCN2794800x600.jpg

DSCN2790800x600.jpg

DSCN27861024x768800x600.jpg

DSCN2793800x600.jpg

DSCN2787800x600.jpg

Chandler

The color definitely looks much better than the vintage I bought about 10 years ago -- and it looks like they've lengthened the cuffs on the sleeves for closer accuracy. The cuffs on mine bug me.

I wonder if they facilitate trade-ins..?

ww2imp

Thank you for the review. I am very proud to read it! We work hard to earn the high praises. Many times we could easily cut corners for sake of ease of production but we try to stay pure to the original.

Zippers are always a concern. It is a concession that we had to make. There are companies that offer purist vintage style zippers. But those would cost ME $30.00 each plus shipping from Asia! I cannot justify spending THAT MUCH for the purist. A zipper like that would have pushed us over the $200 mark. I can see spending that perhaps for a purist A2 made from horsehide but not for a fabric garment in a much higher competitive market. A vintage style Talon works just fine for those who love the pull and slider.

The garment labels were strategicly placed in the pocket that is hidden from site yet very noticeable once the wearer puts his hands in the them. You won't miss them, thus knowing who made the fine garment. If they are too obtrusive simply cut them out.

Thank you very much for the positive comments. We love hearing from all our customers.

GoodTimesGone

Very nice quality tanker there! I like the label too. One of my favorite features in a jacket is a unique label, which vintage leather jackets always featured.

Peter Graham

Thanks for the review but I've a few questions. Does it have a cotton label inside the neck area and how does it fit ? I've always wanted an original tanker but I don't think that's going to happen. Many years ago I bought a repro from SOF in the UK and it fitted like a sack of spuds which put me off buying another. WW2 Imp, I'd be happy to pay $30 plus shipping for a decent zipper. Are your knits wool or synthetic ? Oh yeah, another question. I'm a 38 chest. What size do you recommend ? Thanks.

ww2imp

Peter Graham said:
Thanks for the review but I've a few questions. Does it have a cotton label inside the neck area and how does it fit ? I've always wanted an original tanker but I don't think that's going to happen. Many years ago I bought a repro from SOF in the UK and it fitted like a sack of spuds which put me off buying another. WW2 Imp, I'd be happy to pay $30 plus shipping for a decent zipper. Are your knits wool or synthetic ? Oh yeah, another question. I'm a 38 chest. What size do you recommend ? Thanks.

Our knitting is made from 100% wool yarn. It does include a quartmaster inspection label in the neck center back.

If you take 38 in sport coat, that's the size I would recommend.

269sqnhudson

Peter Graham said:

Very good quality wool to boot! Better by far than knits I have on Eastman A2s, Aero A2s or Buzz Ricksons Tankers.
The spec label is indeed cotton and a pretty good copy judging by the spec labels I have in period garments.
Bang on size-wise. Not as snug as a similarly sized A2 but it is meant to go over at least a shirt and Tanker trousers.
I would supply measurements but because of the wool lining the raw numbers don't mean much.
I have also had SOF tankers (about 5 years ago) Total poo, agreed. I actually really dislike ATF Tankers too, the stitching is quite flimsy polyester, had a few breakages, and the cuffs are just wrong.

The WWII Impressions is certainly the best I've owned (so far.... :D)

DSCN2797800x600.jpg

T

sparidon

marco77 said:
Look good !!!
Very tempted !!!!
Is it really warm ??

Marco

I've owned a few tankers and yes, for the most part they are quite warm. Not 20 degrees F warm, but warm for Autumn and light winter duties if you layer.

Seth

unclegrumpy

269sqnhudson said:
The spec label is indeed cotton and a pretty good copy judging by the spec labels I have in period garments.
DSCN2797800x600.jpg

Question: Not to get you all worked up again....but from our last go around on original tanker jacket label sizing markings....which you have a very high degree of expertise in....shouldn't this jacket be more accurately sized small, medium, or large rather than by chest measurement?

By the way, since we had our last discussion, I have been looking in the pockets every original tanker jacket I see.....and all but the early first type one I mentioned in the earlier post, have been sized small, medium, or large....though admittantly that was not a very large sampling.

Interestingly, somewhere in my brain I still keep recalling seeing other chest sized original tankers in the past....which makes me wonder if my gray matter is faulty or possibly there was a manufacturer or contract that sized these jackets differently.

ww2imp

unclegrumpy said:
269sqnhudson said:
DSCN2797800x600.jpg

Question: Not to get you all worked up again....but from our last go around on original tanker jacket label sizing markings....which you have a very high degree of expertise in....shouldn't this jacket be more accurately sized small, medium, or large rather than by chest measurement?

By the way, since we had our last discussion, I have been looking in the pockets every original tanker jacket I see.....and all but the early first type one I mentioned in the earlier post, have been sized small, medium, or large....though admittantly that was not a very large sampling.

Interestingly, somewhere in my brain I still keep recalling seeing other chest sized original tankers in the past....which makes me wonder if my gray matter is faulty or possibly there was a manufacturer or contract that sized these jackets differently.

Very good point. Although...

My tanker jacket patterns date back to when we made them for SPR and are graded by chest size. I don't see a pressing need to make new patterns for jackets that won't fit as nicely anyway. Chest sizing is always a better fit.

Stony

That tanker jacket does look good. :cool:

I was thinking about getting one, but came across an original tanker in a size 44 that I bought.