• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pics of 5th air force? New Guinea from NA

oose

Hi all,

Happy New Year, first post back.

Page614.jpg

Page612.jpg

Page598.jpg

yours stu

Stony

Nice pics!

By the way, in the last picture does the guy standing in the back row, third from the left look like he has an unusually big head in relation to his body? Looks strange to me.

Andrew

Great shots Stu, wow, A-2's being worn on the ground in PNG- i'll bet it was just for the shots- no such thing as seasons there.

I like the look of action man top picture on the right, in reality I imagine they would need all that stuff if they came down. It was such inhospitable dangerous country.

EMBLEMHUNTER

oose said:
Hi all,

Happy New Year, first post back.

Page614.jpg

Page612.jpg

Page598.jpg

yours stu
The two photos of B-24 "Lucky Lucille" in first photo two crew kneeling are wearing the patch of the 65th Bomb Sqd/43rd Bomb Grp,second photo of "lucky Lucille" man far right bottom is wearing the patch of the 64th Bomb Sqd/43rd Grp.

Andrew

oose said:

A lot of 5th AF Officers bought the Australian made brown leather 1936 pattern boots as they're sheepskin lined and the tops could be folded down when it's too hot. I have two pairs of these, one pair look like brand new boots although they show light wear to the soles and there is a slight crease around the middle where they have been folded. I'm selling this pair if anyone is interested, size 6 fitting 8. PM me for details.

RIMG0010.jpg

dujardin

i like the way this guy is wearing his big 5AF patch on the breast

Page598.jpg

grrrrrrrrrr Andrew, i like your boots; if only we were some weeks ago.....damned

byeeeeeeee marcel

Cliff

Andrew said:
Great shots Stu, wow, A-2's being worn on the ground in PNG- i'll bet it was just for the shots- no such thing as seasons there.

I like the look of action man top picture on the right, in reality I imagine they would need all that stuff if they came down. It was such inhospitable dangerous country.

I think in effect he had just invented the Survival Vest without knowing it !!

cheers
cliff

Trotsky

My grandpa was in the 82nd Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron, 71st Reconnaissance Group, 5th Airforce. He shipped out with the unit in 1943 and returned in 1945 after a short stint in occupied Japan. He was ground crew, an Armorer who worked on P-39 Aircorbras then, later, P-51Ds. The 82nd was home to William Shomo who piloted the Flying Undertaker and earlier Snooks 2nd. Shomo was a MOH winner and was C.O. of the unit later on.

I have a few pictures, and we'll start with the unit insignia:

5e5ec4c20.jpg

Pegleg Pete! My uncle has the original wool unit patch, but I am seeking a leather one, so, if anyone knows about one....

9032_742826118435_9416570_42941612_3579718_n.jpg

Grandpa is the front row, center. His buddy Mike is to the right, I got this particular photo from Mike, actually. As you can see, they didn't wear much in the way of leather.....

Apparently, that's all I got right now, I thought I had more scanned in; maybe I should get my butt working on that!

Stony

Shomo was a MOH winner

If you use the term "winner" in front of a Medal of Honor "recipient", it will piss them off. I know this because I did it and was told that it was disrespectful. Every MOH recipient I've met over the years, and there has been quite a few, has said that it's no contest or game, so there are no "winners". The term "recipient" also applies to medals down the chain like the DSC, SS, PH, etc.

Hope this helps.

USMC_GAU-21

Stony,

Seems you want to start this all over again from another forum? Well I disagree with you again. So I will post what I said over there, and see what this forum believes.

I am not sure I would used "earned" either. I earned my living for the better part of my adult life serving my country. I choose the Marine Corps as my given profession and I don't think I earned anything other then a paycheck. I was awarded a few medals during my time. And, in all of the formal write-ups and formations, and readings for either me or my fellow Marines it always said "Awarded the ....." Whether it was the President taking great pleasure in awarding the XXX medal, or the CMC, it always said awarded.

A MOH recipient is "awarded" that medal. A DFC is awarded to an individual, a Presidential Unit Citation is awarded to the unit. Sure they earned it with their blood ,sweat, tears, but they were awarded these medals for their Valor and actions under fire.

The public, who have not served in a uniform will listen to the media when they discuss a MOH recipient, and say "He won the medal doing...." They want their military Men and Women to "win". It is easy for them to understand. Maybe a cliche', maybe not, but the person who said "Wearing it was harder then earning it" might have had something there.

I agree we as collectors, Active Duty, Retiree's should approach medals and ribbons in a respectful manner. Terms like "Recipient" , "Awardee" come to mind. I am not sure John Finn "earned" his MOH at Pearl Harbor more then he was awarded our nations highest honor for earning his paycheck that morning. When the bullets started flying he was awarded his medal for going above and beyond the call.

Joe Foss, took off in a inferior fighter plane to face an unknown enemy force not to earn medals, but to do his job. At the end of the day, someone said he went above and beyond his duty and we awarded him for his Heroics. I mention these two stories because I have personally meet with the 2 recipients mentioned. I never said "when you won" your medal, I used when you were awarded your medal did you ....xxx"

As we all know you talk with these heroes and they are the most humble people you will ever meet. Most of the time they feel honored by their country to give them that award for "Just doing my duty Sir".

I am not trying to start an argument, just "earned" means something else to me. "Awarded the medal..xyz for actions in..." Makes more sense to me. I know of one time I "earned" something...and that was the title US Marine, at the completion of boot camp.

Other then that, it was my honor to be awarded the medals I did receive while on active duty. It was my honor to present awards, promotions, and time off, to my Marines.

My very small 2 cents.

v/r

Gy Dan

Another quote from that forum By you:

Earned is the proper term. You don't win the Medal of Honor (DSC, Silver Star, Bronze Star, etc), it isn't a contest.

This is exactly what Bud Hawk said to me when I used the term "won" in front of him. "It's not a contest". Also, if you go to the MOH's website, they use the term "recipient" when speaking in the third person.

I had the honor to attend two private luncheons at the Museum of Flight in Seattle when I worked there when they had a two day symposium of MOH recipients. There were seven MOH recipients at both luncheons and I just sat there eating and not saying a word and just listened to their stories. I was humbled to say the least.

All of that being said, I wouldn't use the term "awarded" either, I would use recieved.

My response then:

Well Stoney, you bring it back full circle.

All of the MOH Recipients at that dinner were "awarded" the MOH. They "received" them in a ceremony. Our country "awards" military decorations. You receive them yes, but they are awarded by the military, and in case of the Medal Of Honor, they are "awarded" in the name of our country.

I will go one step further. I received a Meritorious Service Medal when I retired. One could say I "earned" it over 20 years of service. I didn't see it that way. I was awarded that medal upon my retirement, but the write up contained the duties I performed up to my retirement. One would say it is a "junior" medal to that of the MOH, Navy Cross, Silver Star etc...

But, it is not the medal that I consider to sum up my career. I received a much "lower" medal from my Commanding Officer when I was a Corporal. We had just transitioned from the CH-53A/D to brand new CH-53E's. I was the tactics instructor for the enlisted aircrew for my squadron, I had 8 crews to get Night Vision qualified for an upcoming deployment to Somalia. I flew 145 hours in one month in my helicopter. Not multiple aircraft, but my BuNo by itself. So the CO without my knowledge put me in for a Navy Achievement Medal, and gave it to me on a flight to Yuma AZ. I remember that like yesterday.

(I always wondered why the SgtMaj was coming flying with me that day.....LOL rolleyes.gif )

Anyways, I was awarded that medal by my CO, I didn't "win it" or "earn it". I was doing my job, flying and turning wrenches, and flying some more. I was totally blown away when I received the award. It means more to me then any other medal or ribbon.

I don't see anything wrong with saying he was "awarded the MOH", I do agree that we don't "win" those awards, and to ask a Veteran how he "won" a certain decoration is not respectful to his/her service.

v/r
Dan

So not to stir the pot all over again, but most of the public is comfortable saying "Mr X "won" " their medal. when talking to a vet, saying you "won" that medal might offend them, or it might not. We as collectors can be sensitive to these heroes, but remember not all of us have the experience of being around the Military or Valor Recipients.

So I don't think "trotsky" meant any disrespect to anyone.

Once again, not to be disrespectful to anyone, just my opinion.

r/Gy Dan

Stony

Stony,

Seems you want to start this all over again from another forum? Well I disagree with you again. So I will post what I said over there, and see what this forum believes.

Quote:

I am not sure I would used "earned" either. I earned my living for the better part of my adult life serving my country. I choose the Marine Corps as my given profession and I don't think I earned anything other then a paycheck. I was awarded a few medals during my time. And, in all of the formal write-ups and formations, and readings for either me or my fellow Marines it always said "Awarded the ....." Whether it was the President taking great pleasure in awarding the XXX medal, or the CMC, it always said awarded.

A MOH recipient is "awarded" that medal. A DFC is awarded to an individual, a Presidential Unit Citation is awarded to the unit. Sure they earned it with their blood ,sweat, tears, but they were awarded these medals for their Valor and actions under fire.

The public, who have not served in a uniform will listen to the media when they discuss a MOH recipient, and say "He won the medal doing...." They want their military Men and Women to "win". It is easy for them to understand. Maybe a cliche', maybe not, but the person who said "Wearing it was harder then earning it" might have had something there.

I agree we as collectors, Active Duty, Retiree's should approach medals and ribbons in a respectful manner. Terms like "Recipient" , "Awardee" come to mind. I am not sure John Finn "earned" his MOH at Pearl Harbor more then he was awarded our nations highest honor for earning his paycheck that morning. When the bullets started flying he was awarded his medal for going above and beyond the call.

Joe Foss, took off in a inferior fighter plane to face an unknown enemy force not to earn medals, but to do his job. At the end of the day, someone said he went above and beyond his duty and we awarded him for his Heroics. I mention these two stories because I have personally meet with the 2 recipients mentioned. I never said "when you won" your medal, I used when you were awarded your medal did you ....xxx"

As we all know you talk with these heroes and they are the most humble people you will ever meet. Most of the time they feel honored by their country to give them that award for "Just doing my duty Sir".

I am not trying to start an argument, just "earned" means something else to me. "Awarded the medal..xyz for actions in..." Makes more sense to me. I know of one time I "earned" something...and that was the title US Marine, at the completion of boot camp.

Other then that, it was my honor to be awarded the medals I did receive while on active duty. It was my honor to present awards, promotions, and time off, to my Marines.

My very small 2 cents.

v/r

Gy Dan

Another quote from that forum By you:

Quote:
Earned is the proper term. You don't win the Medal of Honor (DSC, Silver Star, Bronze Star, etc), it isn't a contest.

This is exactly what Bud Hawk said to me when I used the term "won" in front of him. "It's not a contest". Also, if you go to the MOH's website, they use the term "recipient" when speaking in the third person.

I had the honor to attend two private luncheons at the Museum of Flight in Seattle when I worked there when they had a two day symposium of MOH recipients. There were seven MOH recipients at both luncheons and I just sat there eating and not saying a word and just listened to their stories. I was humbled to say the least.

All of that being said, I wouldn't use the term "awarded" either, I would use recieved.

My response then:

Quote:
Well Stoney, you bring it back full circle.

All of the MOH Recipients at that dinner were "awarded" the MOH. They "received" them in a ceremony. Our country "awards" military decorations. You receive them yes, but they are awarded by the military, and in case of the Medal Of Honor, they are "awarded" in the name of our country.

I will go one step further. I received a Meritorious Service Medal when I retired. One could say I "earned" it over 20 years of service. I didn't see it that way. I was awarded that medal upon my retirement, but the write up contained the duties I performed up to my retirement. One would say it is a "junior" medal to that of the MOH, Navy Cross, Silver Star etc...

But, it is not the medal that I consider to sum up my career. I received a much "lower" medal from my Commanding Officer when I was a Corporal. We had just transitioned from the CH-53A/D to brand new CH-53E's. I was the tactics instructor for the enlisted aircrew for my squadron, I had 8 crews to get Night Vision qualified for an upcoming deployment to Somalia. I flew 145 hours in one month in my helicopter. Not multiple aircraft, but my BuNo by itself. So the CO without my knowledge put me in for a Navy Achievement Medal, and gave it to me on a flight to Yuma AZ. I remember that like yesterday.

(I always wondered why the SgtMaj was coming flying with me that day.....LOL rolleyes.gif )

Anyways, I was awarded that medal by my CO, I didn't "win it" or "earn it". I was doing my job, flying and turning wrenches, and flying some more. I was totally blown away when I received the award. It means more to me then any other medal or ribbon.

I don't see anything wrong with saying he was "awarded the MOH", I do agree that we don't "win" those awards, and to ask a Veteran how he "won" a certain decoration is not respectful to his/her service.

v/r
Dan

So not to stir the pot all over again, but most of the public is comfortable saying "Mr X "won" " their medal. when talking to a vet, saying you "won" that medal might offend them, or it might not. We as collectors can be sensitive to these heroes, but remember not all of us have the experience of being around the Military or Valor Recipients.

So I don't think "trotsky" meant any disrespect to anyone.

Once again, not to be disrespectful to anyone, just my opinion.

r/Gy Dan

I'm glad you have time to go to other sites and clip quotes about this subject, I do not. I will use the term "recipient" and you can use whatever term you like. I just think that when a MOH recipient says something about it, I'm going to listen and adapt. Just because the general public likes to use the term "won", that doesn't make it the norm/correct. If you're not learning anything, what's the point.

USMC_GAU-21

Stony,

This was not an "attack" on you but you clearly took it that way with your comments. You know that I am on this forum and the other. Heck you recommended this forum to me.

I don't want to start an argument with you. Your comments were a bit inflammatory, but hey no worries, I was just trying to give another point of view.

As far as what I do with my "time", I spend it over here where I have learned more about Flight Gear then I would have on the other forum.

Remember the only "lesson we ever learn....is we never learn our lesson"..........

Dan

Stony

Stony,

This was not an "attack" on you but you clearly took it that way with your comments. You know that I am on this forum and the other. Heck you recommended this forum to me.

I don't want to start an argument with you. Your comments were a bit inflammatory, but hey no worries, I was just trying to give another point of view.

As far as what I do with my "time", I spend it over here where I have learned more about Flight Gear then I would have on the other forum.

Remember the only "lesson we ever learn....is we never learn our lesson"..........

Dan

Dan,
When you "copy and paste" the text from another forum and say you want to see what the members of this forum say, it's "stirring the pot" in a way. IMO, it's not what the members think, but what the recipients of the MOH say.
No harm no foul on your comments and I still love you.

Cheers,

Stony

Andrew

I'm with Stony on this.

Anyhow, back to the topic here's some cool fighter shots- no jackets but more Aussie boots :cool: ;

Page657.jpg

The fellow above appears in this group shot.
Page695.jpg

This guy is great
Page642.jpg

And for Trotsky here's a P-39
Page683.jpg

USMC_GAU-21

Stony,

Cool. Good to go. Like I said I didn't mean to fire you up. Just thought it needed a reply.

Wont happen again.

Gy Dan