• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Picked up Nice Ground Crew MA-1

USMC_GAU-21

Been looking for one of these for awhile. Looks like a nice issue ground crew MA-1 as the absence of International Orange lining. All correct tags. don't think it was a AFFES/BX/PX buy as it has the right Gov't tag from Alpha.

!CEHz,6wEWk~$(KGrHqR,!iwE0FwCJVIbBNQ3I-tcow~~_3.JPG

what do you guys think? I will try to get a close up of the label.

/r/Gy Dan

deand

So YOU won that! Man, I was tempted! Glad it's you! Looks likea great MA-1! Wish I knew more to help you authenticate it.

dean

dmar836

Great jacket. I have one that's too big according to my now refined standards. Mine is modern but I have worn it in the garage, welded in it, etc. Warm and comfortable.

Nice find,
Dave

watchmanjimg

Dan, I'm pretty sure that's legit. If memory serves, the 1990 Alpha contract had the label at the base of the neck and a peculiar quilted lining. Does yours have this feature? Either way, it's a good score if the price was right.

Believe it or not, I passed up several flight jackets at a local militaria show today. One seller had a magnificent Superior Togs L-2A with 97th Bombardment Wing and 627th Civil Engineering Squadron patches as well as a leather nameplate bearing Jumpmaster wings. I would have jumped on it even at the asking price of $650, but it was a 38. There was also salty but still decent Rolen B-15D in size 40 for $150, but again it was on the snug side. Finally, there was a D-Model Skyline L-2B with missing label and trashed knits. The USAF decal was OK and the zipper was fine, but it needed some TLC and with three in my collection already I figured I could live without it.

Weasel_Loader

I remember in the late 80s and very early 90s, the MA-1 was still issued. If memory serves me correct, they were only available for issue to Civil Engineer Comm troops. The BDUs pretty much killed it as I think they only wore the MA-1 with the green fatigues.

Phantomfixer

Weasel_Loader said:
I remember in the late 80s and very early 90s, the MA-1 was still issued. If memory serves me correct, they were only available for issue to Civil Engineer Comm troops. The BDUs pretty much killed it as I think they only wore the MA-1 with the green fatigues.

Life support folks were issued the MA-1 also with the green liner in the late 80's and early 90's. They were allowed to put on the flying squadron patches that they were assigned to. very neat. The was at Ramstein. Was that just a USAFE thing? Hmmmm

Weasel_Loader

jzist said:
Weasel_Loader said:

Life support folks were issued the MA-1 also with the green liner in the late 80's and early 90's. They were allowed to put on the flying squadron patches that they were assigned to. very neat. The was at Ramstein. Was that just a USAFE thing? Hmmmm

I also remember the folks that could wear them, also bloused their fatigue pants when most of couldn't. Maybe that's wear the punk rockers got the look from. :lol:

Willy McCoy

Punk rockers primary identifier was the black leather motorcycle jacket. It was the skins and gender benders that wore the MA-1's. I think the skin heads would opt for the civilian Alpha jackets that feature "flight satin" and wouldn't know a military issued jacket if it kicked them in the street. Cheap & plenty.

Good score on the new MA-1 jacket. I would like to see more pictures of the detail(s)! Nice!

watchmanjimg

Weasel_Loader said:

Interestingly, I have an '84-dated example among my scrap jackets that came from a UK-based Comm unit. It seems impossible that a waist-length jacket could be worn with the long BDU coat, so I can understand why the MA-1 was discontinued once the fatigues faded from the scene.