• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

photo of my great-grandfather

rikbb

italy1918ok.jpg

Roughwear

I guess your great grandfather is the corporal in the centre. The hand written inscription gives a 1918 date which seems accurate judging by the uniforms. The yellowing to the photo itself is surely not the result of some recent timeworn treatment! ;)

rikbb

Roughwear said:
I guess your great grandfather is the corporal in the centre. The hand written inscription gives a 1918 date which seems accurate judging by the uniforms. The yellowing to the photo itself is surely not the result of some recent timeworn treatment! ;)

Yes, He's the one in the middle.
The scan was done by my aunt, so the yellow edges might show less on the original.
But it sure is an original photo…

deand

Great photos! My father was 11 years old in 1944 and didn't get drafted until 1954. No glorious military record. He trained as a medic. Both grand parents were too young for WWI and too old for WWII. Mom's dad worked in the defense plant in River Rouge, MI, and Dad's father was a Civil Defense officer. Both would have been 4F anyway.

dean

Peter Graham

ausreenactor said:
Looks like they scored a trophy for some military hole punchin'!

Great pics..

Couchy
They did. Dad was a sniper. He's 85 now. Recently a young lad who is a re-enactor showed him a MK4 Lee Enfield. Dad was able to strip it down and put it back together in a matter of minutes. You should have seen the young lads face. Check the angle of those berets compared to yours Couchy. Things have changed.